Debt Rattle March 28 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 28 2021

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Archie
    Participant

@upstateNYer

I’m a former upstater from Oneida. Left there in 1983. Living in the north Georgia mountains now which reminds of upstate aesthetically. No one gives the evil eye to non-mask wearers around here, even though the fear and loathing of COVID is still perceptible.

₿oogaloo
    Participant

“There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that masks reduced transmission of the virus. None.”

For those who have eyes to see, the evidence is staring you in the face: Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia. Countries that embraced masks with voluntary high compliance rates have done much, much, much better. Just look at the numbers. How many East Asian countries in the top 50 for cases or deaths? Look and be amazed.

V. Arnold
    Participant

My god! Reading todays comments is like a voyage through madness…
    Western societies already seem to be suffering mental illness; and now with the Corona virus, are being pushed over the edge into the mental abyss…

For those who have eyes to see, the evidence is staring you in the face: Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia. Countries that embraced masks with voluntary high compliance rates have done much, much, much better. Just look at the numbers. How many East Asian countries in the top 50 for cases or deaths? Look and be amazed.

I don’t know, but, there seems to be a whole different dynamic when it comes to governments; east vs. west…
    The mindset is totally different here in Thailand and SE Asia in general; culture maybe?
    The west acts like a broken machine spewing parts all over the place.
    When I turn off the news, life here seems normal, except for the masks; which Asians tend to wear regardless of the virus…
    …as I said, I don’t know; but, I’m so happy to be here and not there (west).

madamski cafone
    Participant

US agency questions AstraZeneca’s Covid vaccine trial data

Looks to me like the “backout” is already begun, with Ever Given rapi9dly providing distractiojn as the New Big Problem. The official position opn covid, that is to say, the array of official positions regarding covid, are drawing to an embarrassed close, but some people made a bunch of money for awhile.

madamski cafone
    Participant

““I have some reservations about the Egyptians just wantonly dredging alongside the vessel. Removing the dirt alongside the vessel sounds like a great idea. But what a salvage team would want to do is assess exactly what condition the vessel is in first,” he said.

“You don’t want the ship to crack, you don’t want it to, heaven forbid, break in half, because you do something wrong. If you start dredging without really doing a survey, you run the risk of the vessel doing something unexpected. And when I say unexpected, that’s a nice way to say roll, crack or break.””

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/tugs-tides-and-200000-tons-experts-fear-ever-given-may-be-stuck-in-suez-for-weeks

Dr. D may see that “accident” happen yet. However, it will probably not be an ‘accident” but an accident: unwise action resulting in magnified failure. SImilar to the folly of running ships that large through a canal that small in the first place.

VietnamVet
    Participant

USA, EU, Mexico and Brazil prove that the pandemic is real. Coronavirus is endemic in these regions and variants are arising that predominate. News from Israel of the effect of mRNA gene therapy on the transmissibility of coronavirus has become silent lately. It is true that for the original genome, the jabs are effective at preventing COVID-19 illness but a certain unknown percentage of mRNA treated patients are asymptomatic and transmit the virus to others. Semi-annual jabs are likely for those who can afford them to stay out of the for-profit hospital system due to the variants and declining immunity.

The tragedy in the West is that the ruling ideology, a combination of ignorance, greed and hubris, aborted an effective response of the pandemic. The control of coronavirus requires both population immunity (vaccines) and suppression of virus transmission by public health measures. Effective public health measures were never implemented in the Western Empire except in Asia and the South Pacific nations. Public Health is heresy for neoliberals. Dr. Deborah Brix says only 100,000 should have died from the first wave in the USA. Actually, if the USA closed all its international borders (including city and state borders around hot spots) fourteen months ago and implemented the public health procedures that work in New Zealand and Australia; only around 11,000 Americans would have died in the pandemic, not 562,524.

This post seems mostly about racism. Cultural and ethnic differences are real. Civilization and society are real. Racism is real. Human beings are genetically imprinted to distrust those who look different than their tribe. Skin color is easy to pick out. But the reason it predominates now is that western politicians use it to divide the population to keep control of the fake democracy and earn millions of dollars from speaker fees, revolving door jobs, and insider trading.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ WES

My understanding is that the Israelis made a sand wall with conrcete retainment along the bank of the Suez, not across it. They used pontoon bridge tech to go across the Suez. And I found no reason to believe they did it in 24r hours. It was ong gradual buildup.

The only reference to somethng sounding like what you described is this:

Newsmen Report They Saw Causeway Being Built at Suez

and it’s hardly conclusive.

There’s this:

hy-a-small-desert-road-was-a-key-pivot-in-the-yom-kippur-war

but it’s about a pre-fab floating iron causeway.

causeway

I simply cannot imagine how one could rapidly move that much sand in a canal carrying flowing water. Even with a fleet of these:

“14. The Le Tourneau L-2350 moves earth like it’s nobody’s business.The P&H LeTourneau L-2350 Loader is the current world record holder for the biggest earth mover. It has a massive lifting payload of 72 tons. This massive machine has a standard bucket of 40.52 cubic meters and a 2300 horsepower engine.”

bulldozer

Or these:

Big Machines

Even so, they have to get those machines onsite and in place before they cna use them, and that’s a time consumer too.

They have one choice, imo: lighten the ship. Either a fleet of freight helipcopters or this:

“The containers are a problem as they’re stacked so tall – there aren’t many cranes in the world that can reach that high,” he said. “You need very big and heavy equipment, and you can’t fly it in. You have to put a crane on a barge and bring it in, as there isn’t capacity nearby. The tugboats, the barge and the crane, all the equipment needs to come in from both sides, but there’s no room in the canal for them to move it through.”

which contains this rick:

““The vessel is in a precarious position, it’s hanging by its ends,” said Sal Mercogliano, a former merchant mariner, maritime historian, and associate professor at Campbell University in North Carolina. This position, exacerbated by lowering tides, can stress the body of the ship along its length, potentially causing cracks that can lead to further problems including the ship leaking fuel.

“I have some reservations about the Egyptians just wantonly dredging alongside the vessel. Removing the dirt alongside the vessel sounds like a great idea. But what a salvage team would want to do is assess exactly what condition the vessel is in first,” he said.

“You don’t want the ship to crack, you don’t want it to, heaven forbid, break in half, because you do something wrong. If you start dredging without really doing a survey, you run the risk of the vessel doing something unexpected. And when I say unexpected, that’s a nice way to say roll, crack or break.”

Any causeway made would have to be dismantled. That would take time even if doen explosively and would probably damage the canal. Lightening the ship so it can float and the tugs can do their job, seems the only sane option.

Will sanity prevail?

madamski cafone
    Participant

“Suddenly, at 1405 hours, 4,000 guns, rocket launchers, and mortars opened up all along the Suez Canal on the Egyptian front. This artillery barrage was supported by strikes from over 300 aircraft. Fifteen minutes later, 8,000 troops in 1,000 rubber boats were crossing the Suez Canaland the first fortress on the Bar-Lev line was captured by elements of the Second Field Army at 1500 hours exactly. Many others fell soon afterwards. Simultaneously the engineers with their water cannons were breaking down the sand ramparts on the eastern bank of the Canal and in 4.5 hours had breached it in 80 places.

“Five Egyptian armored divisions crossed the canal and in an innovative display of combat engineering, breached earth works up to 60 feet high by use of high-pressure water cannons. Seventy breaching groups opened separate passages to accommodate temporary heavy and light bridges, ferries, and boat landings. At 1710 units of the Second Division North of Ismailia took the first officer prisoners. By 1930 hours the first formation of the two Egyptian Armies were established on the East bank along a front of 170 kilometers. Eighty thousand men in 12 waves had penetrated Sinai to a depth of three to four kilometers and were well dug in inside the Bar-Lev fortified area.”

Water cannons are nothing comapred to the flow of whater from one ocean to another, especially tidal flow.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

‘ Bout the only deduction I can come up with, considering all the chaos around me is contained in a quote from J Krishnamurti,,,,,

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

Having acted on my perception of the message in that bit of wisdom, I’ve decided to observe it, and let it all work itself out without my help, from my perch here in the serenity of the high desert. This second quote gives away my solution,,,,,

“When the world wearies, and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden.” Minnie Aumonier.

V. Arnold
    Participant

This post seems mostly about racism. Cultural and ethnic differences are real. Civilization and society are real. Racism is real. Human beings are genetically imprinted to distrust those who look different than their tribe. Skin color is easy to pick out. But the reason it predominates now is that western politicians use it to divide the population to keep control of the fake democracy and earn millions of dollars from speaker fees, revolving door jobs, and insider trading.

Racism is alive and well across the planet…
    Asia is often cited as racist; and it is true.
    But! Very big BUT! Asian racism is not the toxic, violent, type exhibited by the west, most notably the U.S.
    In nearly 20 years of living in SE Asia I have yet to witness any violent act or overt racism against any other nationality (Burmese, Indian, black African, Pakistani, Cambodian, Chinese, white westerner, or any other non-Thai.
    Sure, they’ll make a comment in private but in practice, they interact as usual.
    The wokesters are the enemy of human nature and human differences…
    We’re not all the same and hallelujah for our differences…

VietnamVet
    Participant

V.A.

Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of the withdrawal of the last American combat troops out of Vietnam. That war was so full of delusions, it never could have been won. But a major one is that there is no clash of civilizations. The lowland paddy farmers dove the Hmong into the mountains. The Vietnamese drove the Cambodians out. There is a Cambodian temple near the airfield I few in and out of that I saw from the back of a four by four. The Vietnamese defeated the French and then American colonists with Chinese and Russian help. Later Vietnam fought China to a draw that ended their occupation of Cambodia. The Burmese ethnic cleanse Muslim Rohingya. There is a southern divide between Thais and Malays. Fifty years ago, there were race riots in Malaysia and Singapore.

Never for a second, do American rulers admit that the intent of the clash of the NATO with Russia/China/Iran is to keep the western colonial capital empire intact.

I am so old I think history rhymes. The coronavirus pandemic response shows the degree that the global financial elite will go not to have to pay for governmental public health systems to save the lives of Americans or to keep the EU together. They will risk Armageddon for a few more dollars.

V. Arnold
    Participant

VV
    I am so old I think history rhymes. The coronavirus pandemic response shows the degree that the global financial elite will go not to have to pay for governmental public health systems to save the lives of Americans or to keep the EU together. They will risk Armageddon for a few more dollars.

Yep, all true IMO.
    I also agree re: SE Asian history; no one anywhere is free of racism; some is more malignant than others…
    Cheers

WES
    Participant

Madamski:

In a typical mine, an electric mining shovel will easily move over 5,000 tonnes of rock per hour! That is filling only thirty 175 ton trucks in one hour. A very leisurely pace. It usually only takes a shovel 60 seconds (2 buckets) to fill a truck.

A shovel could easily fill 50 trucks in an hour except there are often not enough trucks available to keep the shovel 100% busy.

Ideally there is a truck on one side of the shovel being loaded while a second truck is backing up into position on the other side of the shovel. Efficient mining is very much a just in time business!

Building a sand causeway is really not very hard! The sand dredgers can easily clear pure sand very quickly with their large slurry pumps.

In Alaska they used dredgers to mine rocky river beds for placer gold that could suck up 2 foot bolders and spit them out a 100 years ago!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.