Debt Rattle November 15 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 15 2022

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    WES
    Participant

Ukraine

Right now in the north of Ukraine, the war is slowly but surely transitioning from General Mud to General Winter. During the day, General Mud and global warming rules. At night, General Winter takes over. But General Winter is surely winning because he has global cooling on his side.

In the south of Ukraine, General Mud has yet to yield the battlefield to General Winter, but his days are surely numbered since global cooling is beating global warming.

When General Winter finally takes the reins from General Mud, global warming will have finally lost the battle to global cooling. You will first know this has happened when you see that the mud has become frozen.

You will further know global cooling to be true, when you notice the water in your toilet bowl doesn’t flush down clockwise, due to a lack of CO2. That will be your “Oh shit” moment.)

Redneck
    Participant

“Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.”
    ~ Khalil Gibran
    and what does everybody do with this pointer to non-conceptual awareness?
    They go on a conceptual caravan ride and start writing about how profound , or otherwise the pointer is,
    doing the exact opposite of the pointer’s advice , classic ignorance!
    LOL!

Veracious Poet
    Participant

Veracious Poet
    Participant

zerosum
    Participant

Friendly fire
    https://t.me/s/boris_rozhin
    Colonelcassad
    Forwarded from
    Ramsay
    “Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki convened an urgent meeting of the National Security Committee in connection with the crisis situation. On the territory of the country, according to radio ZET, two missiles fell. Today, November 15, in the evening, Russia launched a large-scale missile strike on the territory of Ukraine. Earlier today, November 15, ZET reported that two missiles hit a grain dryer in the village of Przewodów in the Lublin Voivodeship, killing two people. The village is located 8 km from the border with Ukraine. ”
    And now, as a person who knows the air defense system and the specifics of the combat use of air defense systems well, I explain. In this information, there is a complete answer to whose missiles they are and who fired them. Let me explain! The probability of hitting an air target by an S-300 missile is 0.8 – 0.9. This is a very high accuracy and effectiveness, and yet on a combat target, especially on a low-altitude, inconspicuous type of “cruise missile”, there are always two missiles for one hundred percent destruction of the target. Cruise missiles in tight pairs simply do not fly. The warhead of a cruise missile with a capacity of 500 kg of explosives allows you to confidently destroy most targets. Suffice it to recall the destruction of a four-story barracks with mercenaries in the Starichi training center near Yavoriv. And hitting a target with a salvo of two missiles is a useless waste!
    The crater shown in the Polish report is more suitable for a munition of the Uragan MLRS type, or, as I said, for the 9M83 missile from the S-300 air defense system with a warhead with a capacity of 150 kg.

S-300 air defense missiles were launched from air defense positions near Lviv during an attack by Russian cruise missiles on an air target. For unclear reasons, both missiles derailed and, instead of self-destructing, fell on a grain dryer in the village of Przewodów, killing two Poles.
    It is interesting what Poland will now come up with to “smear” its Bandera friends and accuse Russia …
    155.0Kviews
    Boris Rozhin
    12:47

Col
    ————
    What did the episode with the blow to the Polish tractor look like in the presentation of the Ukrainian and Polish media.😀

https://t.me/voenacher/33433
    Telegram
    0:16
    Turned on the Z War🇷🇺
    WM
    ——-

Bill7
    Participant

It’s good to see the word “opaque” being used more lately, especially in describing this pervasive medium.

On a related note, I wonder if flora- and perhaps Katniss E, too- have any thoughts about the “war in Ukraine”.
    They would be of interest.

Bill7
    Participant

Bukowski’s and R. Crumb’s ‘Bring Me Your Love’ arrived today. It was supposed to be here a few days ago, but
    finally arrived, looking like a Doberman at USPS thought for a minute that it was Lunch. Semi-shredded, with some machine grime on it, too; totally in character. Bukowski worked at USPS for quite a long time..

There are four illustrations in it by Crumb, and my favorite of them is the frontispiece:
    a woman looking directly at a man, she sitting up straight, though bewilderedly; he slumped, leaning forward a little, needing a shave, with caved in shoulders. The short story- there is only one- is memorable, at least to me, and I won’t try to describe it.

Bring Me Your Love. 1983, new edition 1998 Black Sparrow Press.

Bill7
    Participant

Who shall one trust?

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“By the Law Of Finger Pointing, you must be projecting your projection.”

Is that so?

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“They go on a conceptual caravan ride and start writing about how profound , or otherwise the pointer is,
    doing the exact opposite of the pointer’s advice, classic ignorance! LOL!”

Yes, and you watch and judge us watching and judging the pronouncement of a person who also watched and judged, watching and judging being how we arrive at conclusions of logic or faith both.

We’re such funny creatures if too often tragically so.

Nonetheless, I’ve enjoyed some yummy mental nourishment here of late. including from those who watch and judge us watch and judge us.

P.S. Faith is also conceptual. Faith itself is a concept, and thoughts and discussions about faith are necessarily conceptual.

We chatter, we homo sapiens. We like it a lot. Especially if it lets us feel valuable, an emotion that in this case usually moves on to feeling superior, because underneath our logical skins we’re mostly bundles of reflexes and instincts jockeying for maximum survival/breeding advantage. Which is fine by me. It’s the logical overlay that gets us into so much trouble in this here actuality that we usually conflate with reality.

P.P.S. Saying that faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking is itself a statement of faith, but being a statement, a logic string of semantic symbols, we have to think about it before we decide to award our faith to it or not.

MArriage and friendship create a faith not created, earned or sustained by arguing who has faith or what it is. There’s no room to spare on the tightrope of covenanted pair-bond love. One is too busy trying to have a little faith in one’s beloved and oneself.

chooch
    Participant

anticlimactic,

These guys aren’t ready for winter. Recently mobilized troops lack training and equipment. There’s been many signs of the poor condition of mobilized troops.

Alexander Sladkov says that thousands of mobilized men in Budyonnovsk don’t have weapons even though they were mobilized awhile ago. He says that Russian soldiers are still using boots and armor taken from the bodies of Ukrainian soldiers.

Nothing is more disastrous than poorly trained men on a winter battlefield. Winter nights in Ukraine are long and sadly these guys will look like light bulbs to anyone wearing night vision equipment.

Recently liberated town.

Another example. Every man for himself.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1592628761161498624.html

chooch
    Participant

Discontent on the battlefield

Discontent at home

Contrast to 8 months ago. State TV propaganda entertains, confuses and overwhelms the audience.

chooch
    Participant

Solovyov (2008)

Solovyov partying with Ze (2013)

Solovyov (This morning)

WES
    Participant

Chooch:

Yes, there is much discord amoung Russian media over the war in the Ukraine despite Russia “supposedly” being a dictatorship. How can that be?

What amazes me how the top Russian military brass are tight lipped and are saying nothing either way about the war in the Ukraine, especially to the Russian media, unlike the US military.

When it comes to fighting a land war, Russian generals have always in the end, with help from General Winter, defeated their foes. Their method has always been very messy and full of mistakes, but one less than their foes.

zerosum
    Participant

The universe is still expanding
    https://www.un.org/en/desa/world-population-reach-8-billion-15-november-2022
    The global population is projected to reach 8 billion on 15 November 2022, and India is projected to surpass China as the world’s most populous country in 2023, according to World Population Prospects 2022, released today on World Population Day.

Polemos
    Participant

jb-hb, thank you for your response. I’m not asking you to “do battle,” because I don’t see the need for hostility. Struggling alongside one another with mutual perspectives helps clarify where there is common viewpoint and divergence, discovering parallax, and wisdom grows in the person willing to take this opportunity to find depth, further locating themselves and orienting them better.

That said, maybe you’ll enjoy this article: “Brain of a white collar worker.”

As it goes, though, what I’m getting at is not turned aside from its course by asking for demonstration that people go on without their brains. Nor does it make the flow of realization (it’s a pun) go away to ask me to go along with you in just replacing ‘dream’ with ‘reality’ (while also saying I’m the one who wants you to go with me on assumptions I’m making that you don’t, without any self-awareness of the irony, on either part?), because, as you claim, it’s the consistency of the dream that lends it the stamp of authenticity (of course, it’s all occurring inside the dreammaker’s mind that it’s consistent, but if you just collapse minds onto brains, it’s consistently consistent the model is the territory, just don’t ask for a second opinion from outside to come inside and showcase the inconsistencies: the model won’t allow it!).

Funny, it’s like Pascal and Descartes. Descartes makes the same argument you are. It’s precisely the consistency of the waking world, its dependability, that we can from first principles resolve not only that Creator God has given to us a faculty for discerning perfection from imperfection (but this is itself a day’s worth of thinking and writing, helped along by sitting in an oven to eliminate outside influences [more ironies]), but that we have this “external world” out there independently existing though persistently insisting upon every trace of the flesh and every fluidic ounce of animal spirits hydraulically twisting in our tiny, bundling tubules, so that all its greatness focuses in on a tiny pinecone union of spirit and flesh, where the intentions of a self asserting the right to choose assent (because it recognizes truth) or dissent (because it recognizes error) or deferral (because it recognizes a lack of recognition under conditions he calls “material falsity”) will have their maximum impact and return the favor —the lightest touch of a Mind, a tiny flick of some particles, due to hydraulic pressure magnifies greatly into that which “moves mountains,” so to speak, and could not do so if there were no mountains out there to move. Otherwise, Descartes infers, if they did not move for lack of being-there, then we’re still trapped in the Mad God’s malign irreality where dreams prevent us from experiencing bad breath and angry beavers as they truly are. Anyone who meditates with his Method, he says, will come to the same conclusion, and that you do so as well three hundred and change years later demonstrates there’s a logical appeal in the reasoning.

Pascal, who was never a betting man but a friend to wealthier ones, in his fragmented thoughts had a different take. Suppose it were the case one dreams the same dream, over and over again, but in the waking world the story changes, the days are random, nothing adheres, chaos unfolds. Maybe we might conclude this is silly, useless reductio, because the assumption is untenable. His thought about this thought is that there’s still a horror lurking in the arrangement because we could not discern the dream from the chaotic waking on consistency alone, precisely because the way we go about “verifying” consistency is not something external to either wakefulness or dreaming: methods of proof turned around upon themselves inevitably produce paradoxes they cannot inherently resolve (as Kant goes on to demonstrate after nudges from Hume; as Gödel goes on to demonstrate after nudges from God), or at any rate, we’d have to resolve the issue by coming into them from outside the parameters and spaces formed from “delineating” the problem.

I appreciate the opportunity to remember some things and go back to the sources. I do think that your response gets to one of the hearts of a misunderstanding, but I don’t disagree with your insistence that there’s something different enough about being who we are in our bodies that being in our minds also differs: but this observation doesn’t require wholesale rejection of “souls” or consciousness. A CB radio isn’t a GPS device, and destroying them doesn’t destroy conversations or geolocations, just as destroying a home doesn’t destroy the family who spread memories onto its shell, just as burning a book doesn’t erase the text, just as ignoring the meanings of words doesn’t mean that we aren’t reading what’s there.

Still, if you want to ask, “Why not just call it reality if it’s all that we have?” (and, sure, if there’s less or more to your point, feel free to give me another vertex from which I can see [touch, taste, smell, intuit, &c] better the shape and topology of your thinking), then at least be consistent with the observations you’re making about the need for consistency in one’s assessment of reality that what you want for me to do with you is deny the inconsistencies by ignoring their being illusions (while also inferring about myself, again, that I’m the one in denial, I’m the one making assumptions others must assume, and so on?) and, in essence, not look into the box.

What’s in the box!?

You’re saying, “Today, there’s no ghost in this box. Science shows this now, dualism retreated!”

But I’m saying, “Are you sure? It’s a hundred years after Schrödinger and Dirac, and the mathematics and formalisms continue on: we’re not outside the box looking in. We’re looking outward from within boxes turned inside out.”

“Whatever, that doesn’t even make sense. Riddles and philosophical mumbopiggedlywash. I’m all about proving that this rock is real by kicking it! Then talk about what I did with stories! Besides, what’s the difference? Even if it is an illusion, you can still do science and make an Internet where we’re having this conversation. Ghosts can’t do that! Neither have religions! How is it an illusion if science works so successfully?”

And then a missile falls where it doesn’t belong, a child dies from clots in his lung, synthetic lifeforms dance on slides, entire populations spend hours of every day building computers in Minecraft —a game that tells you the player when you beat it, if you play it that way, that it was sent into the world to test the people who play games to find out who are the creators and if they are ready to play, the same world that has a movie where a Mad God tests little children to see if they are ready to go where no normal elevator goes, beyond the glassy ceiling. An interesting and trustworthy world, built more and more with intelligent machines, nobody there but machines.

Did you listen to what Hoffman was saying? You’re not even curious?

aspnaz
    Participant

jb-hb and Polemos, for God’s sake, get a room together and spare us all from the competition of “how many theories of existence can we create” when all the time knowing that there is no knowing. Why? Work that out in your room, together.

aspnaz
    Participant

chooch, the NATO bot with the occasional human interaction added for credibility, is one of the posters I skip. Never has a bot been so boring or so off topic.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

aspnaz: fer chrissake just shut up. How does that sound? Is that advancing civil intelligent discourse around here? How about you get a room with yourself. SInce you enjoy pointless invective, here’s an old fave of mine finger-pointed at you:

Talk

I personally am enjoying their dialog although I’d prefer that jb-hb dispense with the combativeness, something that Polemos has already addressed in his (imo) admirable manner.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“…we’re not outside the box looking in. We’re looking outward from within boxes turned inside out.”

I love that.

Intensely Armenian

Making two possibilities a reality
    Predicting the future of things we all know
    Fighting off the diseased programming
    Of centuries, centuries, centuries, centuries
    Science fails to recognize the single most
    Potent element of human existence
    Letting the reigns go to the unfolding
    Is faith, faith, faith, faith
    Science has failed our world
    Science has failed our Mother Earth
    Science fails to recognize the single most
    Potent element of human existence
    Spirit moves through all things

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Regarding ghosts in machines and alla that:

Hard Problem of Consciousness

Life Among “Philosophical Zombies”

Redneck
    Participant

chooch
    Solovyev’s outlook was transformed once the Russian puppet gov. in Kiev was replaced by a US puppet gov.
    What is good for the goose……

Redneck
    Participant

WES
    “Yes, there is much discord amoung Russian media over the war in the Ukraine despite Russia “supposedly” being a dictatorship. How can that be?”
    Every one in Russia is hopping mad at the humiliation , the debacle that has overcome them. They want someone held responsible. Putin uses the state media to spread the blame far and wide ….to every one except himself , the Supreme Commander , the one who ultimately is responsible , the dictator , his name is never ever mentioned except for praise. Simple ain’t it?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.