Debt Rattle September 18 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 18 2022

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    WES
    Participant

My parents said know:

I suspect Aspnaz has probably has suffered power outages and loss of internet in Taiwan. Aren’t they also being hit by a typhoon too?

Bill7
    Participant

Sonatas can include a keyboard, for sure; Corelli’s Opus 5 is one favorite example.

Bill7
    Participant

Here are the Kuijken brothers with Robert Kohnen on keyboard playing Corelli op, 5 #3:
    :https://cinemaphile.com/watch?v=y3U2kLyncrw

I love Sigiswald Kuijken’s expressivness in phrasing, and vibrato. This is one of my favorite recordings.

duckduckgo just ran an ad on tv with the background music “I’ll be watching you” (the real one.)
    What were they thinking?

Bill7
    Participant

surely an accident, or oversight. 😉

digitalia’s a snare (and they now want you to know)

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

This confirms much of what most of us here know. But there are some unusual factors that are adding to the carnage.

It’s interesting that growers are reporting a more than doubling of costs in just 5 years = greater than 25% annual inflation (devaluation of fiat currency). And that’s before things start to get really bad.

‘As Darling says, “everything is going up.”

Whether it’s fuel (the price of diesel has rocketed to more than $2.50 and is about the same cost as regular unleaded 91 petrol) or labour costs or fertiliser or compliance costs or electricity, it’s all adding up to more outgoings — hopefully in the pursuit of more productivity, Darling says.

“Generally speaking, costs in the last five years at an orchard level have gone from about $10,000 to $12,000 a hectare to $25,000 to $30,000 a hectare. But that’s not just about cost increases, that’s required inputs for more outputs, such as putting on more fertiliser to grow more fruit.”

In the case, for example, of avocados which Darling Group is heavily involved in, those rising costs compared with a glut of avocados hitting the market in peak season meant it let fruit fall to the ground and rot this season.

And it’s not just avocados growers walking away because of increased bills.

Prendergast says some NZ growers of leafy greens (think lettuces, cabbages) didn’t harvest their crops at all because it was simply not economically viable to spend more money harvesting that they won’t earn back from selling.

He says for the first time last summer growers said that with increased costs it was impossible to pick the harvest. In previous years growers might have picked and taken the crops to market and got a low price, but now it’s just not worth it.

“That has never happened traditionally.”

He says “the dynamics have now changed”, and growers will either choose to let fruit fall and rot like Darling Groups’ avocados, or some crops like lettuces may be mowed or ploughed.

“We are seeing those decisions being made now.”

Prendergast says this is a new trend that he sees will happen more in future, alongside changes in how people chose to grow what they grow.

He says the increased costs to produce fruit and vegetables means speculative growers won’t decide to plant a crop and see what happens; growing will be more planned and structured and at scale, and this in turn will mean less “flushes” of produce coming into the market to be sold for NZ consumers.

And in the future, Prendergast expects more “feast and famine” for NZ shoppers.

He says in the next six-to-12 months consumers will see plenty of leafy greens and vegetables, but because of that boggy winter there will be “funny gaps” in supply.

Because the water tables are high, and the ground is wet, vegetables will be dormant for longer so “they’re growing slowly”.

And yes, he expects prices will keep rising because of those rising costs.

https://www.interest.co.nz/business/117646/left-rot-or-mowed-down-why-some-nz-growers-arent-bringing-their-crops-market-all

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

correction: greater than 15% annual devaluation of purchasing power

Dora
    Participant

Musical interlude. Pachelbel’s Canon in D.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

The last few minutes of the following video probably sums up the mess that characterises the second invasion of Russia by the US.

Polemos
    Participant

Pilate asked “What is truth?” and Jesus already gave an answer (given again by Dr. D). Socrates also gives answers, depending on when in the dialogues you come across them (while the eternal is unchanged, your awareness and orientation regarding it are changing, because you are not yet One with it).

aspnaz
    Participant

Tree Frog says

Being a thug like the US is a losing strategy.

There are 1000 billionaires in the USA, more than any other country, are they losing?

aspnaz
    Participant

my parents said know said

Doesn’t aspnaz live in Taiwan?
    How are you doing, aspnaz?

Thanks for the thought. We are good. We are shocked by the damage, we know some of the places that were destroyed, we have cycled across that long bridge that fell down.

We are on a windsurfing holiday in a place called Penghu, it is an island in the Taiwan straight. My wife and I were enjoying a beer at a bar on the beech when the first earthquake struck, we felt the earth moving side to side and ran onto the beech away from the building. For us it was mild, we are 65 km away from the main island of Taiwan and on the west side. When we got back to the hotel we experienced a similar aftershock, again very mild.

We are back into the wind tomorrow morning at 8 am, the north easters have arrived, having been delayed by the recent typhoons, so tomorrow is going to be a blast. Next weekend the regulars will arrive from the main Taiwan island, they will be here to enjoy their first big wind weekend of the season. Taiwan has turned into Taiwaii.

aspnaz
    Participant

Some trivia. Looking in some rock pools today and saw quite a few of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapta_maculata. The longest was a couple of meters long and, although we knew it was a sea cucumber, coz it has tentacles where its head should be, we were interested to know exactly what it was as it was a busy body, moving around a lot more than the other sea cucumbers. So I go to google and look up Taiwan sea cucumbers, and what do I get, a list of restaurants serving sea cucumbers … no info on the specimen we saw … everything is food round here. Found it in the end by searching for “long sea cucmber”, it is the world’s longest sea cucmber, which makes sense. Now I just have to find the restaurant that serves this particular species, the “snake cucumber”, off to google …

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.