How Far Is It From Kiev To Athens?

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum How Far Is It From Kiev To Athens?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gordon Parks “New York, New York. Scene in Harlem area.” 1943 Riddle me this, Batman. I don’t think I get it, and I definitely don’t get why nobody is
    [See the full post at: How Far Is It From Kiev To Athens?]

V. Arnold
    Participant

The reason there are no questions is because all of the possible answers are outright lies.
    Remember the Bush doctrine? Full spectrum dominance?
    That is exactly what is going on as I type this. It’s no wonder the average person has no idea what is actually going on; the whole world is being flooded with a new version of reality. It’s 1984 in spades.
    As to Greece, this interview with Michael Hudson offers an interesting take on what Syriza’s game is all about. I hope he is right. In any event, this will play out over the next few months.
    https://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=13280

V. Arnold

Thank you very much for that link. That explains why Varoufakis stopped talking about the “Troika” and started taking about the “institutions” He recognised that he was up against the banks and finance ministers. The change in his terminology was confusing me. I get it now.

Yes, we are in 1984. I used to go to the bbc news first to find out what was happening in the world. I see now that their selection and interpretation of facts obscures their real meaning and importance. I find this to be representative of the MSM in general. Did the reporting change or did I?

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Carbon waste life form

LOL, the BBC has tanked, not worth the electrons it takes to power it.
    The reporting morphed to a propaganda bullhorn; but then all western MSM is that.
    And you are very welcome; I try to find the real deal while it’s still available.
    TRNN is pretty good for the most part. Michael Hudson is true to reality.

Hotrod
    Participant

V. Arnold,

Thanks for that link. Michael Hudson answers a bunch of concerns I had.

In regard to Michael Hudson, he is not very well-spoken and maybe that is a clue to as to gauge the content of his presentation. TPTB always have spokespersons who are extremely articulate and have stage presence. Michael has neither and that is a good thing, as far as I’m concerned.

Raleigh
    Participant

V. Arnold – I enjoyed that Michael Hudson interview too – thanks! Interesting what he had to say about Latin America, and the U.S. being worried, if Cuba was successful, about these countries saying they didn’t need the U.S. fruit growers in their country, that they could it themselves.

Was infuriated yesterday reading this:

“Have you ever paid $2.25 for a bottle of water? Of course, and you can pay a lot more than that if you go to a Vancouver Canucks game, a concert, movie theatre or restaurant.

So what if you could pay $2.25 not for a 500-millilitre bottle, not for a big office cooler full, but for 1 million litres of water?

Sounds ridiculous given the retail price, but that’s the unbelievably low rate the BC Liberal government has given to giant multinational firm Nestle and others to extract fresh, clean groundwater to bottle and sell for exorbitant profits.

The price is so outrageous I have to repeat it. Nestle Waters Canada pays the province just $2.25 for every million litres of water.

The total estimated price of all the water Nestle will bottle in B.C. over an entire year is — wait for it — $562 a year!

That’s an improvement, if you can believe it, because until recently they got it all for free.”

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/02/24/Nestle-Pays-Nothing-to-Bottle-Water/

Way to negotiate with these big multinational corporations! $562.00 a year! Wahoo, bringing it home for the citizens! The world’s three biggest bottled water corporations are Pepsico (who own virtually everything in the junk food aisles), Coca Cola and Nestle. It’s no wonder they can afford to pay dividends, huge bonuses and salaries.

Nassim
    Participant

re:
    This BBC correspondent is blaming the destruction in Donetsk on the “burnt earth” tactics of the separatists.

He gets targeted by Kiev’s artillery while in Kiev – and blames it on the separatists. Unbelievable nonsense.

John Day
    Participant

@ Nassim
    Yeah, remember the cease fires in Vietnam?
    It’s damned hard to stop shooting in a war.
    This was on day #1 of the cease fire, and the main issue there was the trapped/surrounded assault force of Ukrainian army in Debaltsevo was trying to get out with their weapons, and the separatist militias would only let them leave freely without the tanks and artillery.
    That got sorted out. The dudes finally left on foot through the fields.
    Here’s the junk they left behind.

All’s well that ends,…well….

Realitychecker
    Participant

Good article Raúl. Despite the tsunami of propaganda, it’s still surprising the US and others wish to continue supporting a failing Neo-Nazi government that could never be described as democratic, with military (and financial aid) as “The U.S. has Installed a Neo-Nazi Government in Ukraine” (https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-u-s-has-installed-a-neo-nazi-government-in-ukraine/5371554) argues with this extract:

“We are not dealing with a transitional government in which Neo-Nazi elements integrate the fringe of the coalition, formally led by the Fatherland party.

The Cabinet is not only integrated by the Svoboda and Right Sector (not to mention former members of defunct fascist UNA-UNSO), the two main Neo-Nazi entities have been entrusted with key positions which grant them de facto control over the Armed Forces, Police, Justice and National Security.

While Yatsenuyk’s Fatherland Party controls the majority of portfolios and Svoboda Neo-Nazi leader Oleh Tyahnybok was not granted a major cabinet post (apparently at the request of assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland), members of Svoboda and the Right Sector occupy key positions in the areas of Defense, Law Enforcement, Education and Economic Affairs”.

Strangely, I thought WW2 was about defeating Nazism in Europe, so the fact many western nations are happy supporting Neo-Nazis c. 70 years later appears unbelievable, especially the way the Kiev government are behaving as Mish Shedlock reveals in “Emails From Kiev: Free Speech Vanishes, Total Media Thought Control; US Radar System Falls Into Rebel Hands?”

https://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/emails-from-kiev-free-speech-vanishes.html

I suspect what happens next probably depends on whether the hryvnias collapses completely, or a new Kiev military offensive can be funded using conscripted soldiers and “guided” by US and UK military advisers that would likely initiate a strong Russian response. If the IMF and EU end up supporting Kiev with (unrepayable) loans, the latter becomes more likely, especially if the Ukrainian military is re-equipped with US (and UK) hardware supplied directly (UK) or via third parties like the UAE (US). On the other hand if no loans are forthcoming, then destitution for most of the Ukrainian population looms, which would likely trigger another popular uprising and corresponding round of vicious repression – Hobson’s choice if ever there was one. Geopolitics always was, and still, is a dirty game, and the instability it creates can easily become dangerous if anyone makes a serious miscalculation. The tragedy is, either way it’s the ordinary Ukrainians who will suffer, not the puppet Ukrainian elites or their covert foreign supporters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.