Nicole Foss: How the Credit Crunch Threatens Environmental Sustainability

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Nicole Foss: How the Credit Crunch Threatens Environmental Sustainability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ashvin
    Participant

The following is a link to an excellent interview Nicole did today with Australian National Radio, as she and Ilargi tour the country (specific tour d
    [See the full post at: Nicole Foss: How the Credit Crunch Threatens Environmental Sustainability]

seychelles
    Participant

This sceptical Aussie interviewer doesn’t seem to have a clue what is coming…or might just be a typical MSM tool. Carbon tax=ultimate plum for the crony capitalists (if it is ever enacted). Focused and succinct discussion by NF, as always.

Viscount St. Albans
    Participant

Re: That Aussie interviewer.

I like the mildly adversarial interview. Stoneleigh sharpens her sticks when she’s challenged. The interviewer seems to be mining the same terrain as the prominent Aussie environmentalist/Cambridge Prof. Paul Gilding — vintage New York Times doomerism — filtered through the perspective of climate change rather than financial collapse and resource constraints. Gilding is very influential in Australia and he’s Tom Friedman’s go-to-man for scary yet uplifting quotes. He’s a proponent of: It’s going to end terribly but we’ll be OK, now go have an ice cream cone.

Here’s an interesting recent NPR debate/interview with Paul Gilding and Richard Heinberg (a frequent TAE reader). I was disappointed that Heinberg didn’t articulate TAE’s vision more clearly.
    https://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/2011-11-07/great-disruption

Verdandi

I live half-way between Nicole’s talk of last night and the Channon tonight and am/was unable to attend either!! to say I am disappointed at not hearing/meeting both Nicole and Ilargi is an understatement.

I’ve downloaded to interview to listen to later, however, even without hearing it I can tell you that the scepticism of the interviewer mentioned is a typically widespread attitude here in Australia. We are just to fantastic, we are all middle class, doncha know, and whatever happens in the rest of the world won’t affect us. There were some intersting comments on the ABC website, with many giving details of upcoming talks and providing links to TAE facebook etc.

I await the unfolding events with trepidation, focusing on building community, my chickens and giving great consideration to the lifeboat.

Congratulations on the new site. I am missing many of the regular commentators and hope to hear from you soon.
    cheers,
    Verdandi

I am desperately sad that you guys aren’t coming to Sydney. I’ve been reading TAE since 2008. I am a big devotee. I can’t make it to Coffs Harbour or Bungendore this weekend.

I am missing Ilargi big time. Please post from the road dude.

I hope you guys are having a wonderful and welcoming time in Australia.

william
    Participant

I really expect any implementation of the carbon tax to be not too unlike the French Revolution. It may not be the grand star of capitalism but its complete and utter defeat. It sometimes isn’t too popular to steal from the starving to aid the rich even if it is to save the environment.

As I have mentioned to a few in emails the baltic dry index leans towards an excessive problem. It cost $12000 a day to move a container ship at sea in 2008 but today the same ship moves for $650. A price so low, it is the lowest rate recorded ever. It shows how desperate people are to do business. Many are giving excuses but they don’t account for this large a difference.

Things are wrong and further pressure on business for taxes will shut the system down not stimulate. This could be a final blow to consumer capitalism and the start of a possible resource based system.

skipbreakfast
    Participant

Yeah, the interviewer does seem to be a bit incredulous. But I find it’s a common reaction Down Under. This part of the world has been amazingly insulated from the effects of the GFC so far. Things are starting to turn for the worse only now, but few people in Australia and New Zealand seem to have put the pieces of the puzzle together. Then again, I would really like to know how many people in other countries are any more aware. If you poll your co-workers, how many of them have even considered the possibility, however remote, that there could be a bank run + bank holiday + long-term mass unemployment in their country within the next 3 years?

Mark T

The Federal Reserve secretly selected a handful of banks to bid for debt securities acquired by taxpayers in the U.S. bailout of American International Group Inc., and the rest of Wall Street is wondering what happened to the transparency the central bank said it was committed to upholding.

“The exclusivity by which the process has shut out smaller dealers is a little un-American,” said David Castillo, head of sales and trading at broker Further Lane Securities LP in San Francisco, who said he would have liked to participate. “It seems odd that if you want to get the best possible price that it wouldn’t be open to anyone who wants to put in the most competitive bid.”

Fed Plays Wall Street Favorites in Secret Bond Deals: Mortgages

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/fed-plays-wall-street-favorites-in-secret-bond-deals-mortgages.html

skipbreakfast
    Participant

I don’t know how many of you read The Economic Collapse blog, but it’s simply excellent. Very well written and researched. It tends to lean a little more to th HI end-game, but only a little.

The latest post on Greece’s “depression” is sobering:

This Is What An Economic Depression Looks Like In The 21st Century

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.