Debt Rattle July 31 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle July 31 2021

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    oxymoron
    Participant

susmarie108 thank so much for the Prayer of Saint Francis and thank you for your thoughts. You are topshelf.

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ WES

Just say no to the Carnation milk. I was forced into purchasing some last month and when reconstituted I would describe it as chalk water. I recommend Dairy Isle evaporated milk which when reconstituted tastes like an old fashioned milkshake. The Walmart brand is somewhere in between the two extremes.

upstateNYer
    Participant

@Doc Robinson: you’re an inspiration, truly you are. But what a gobbledygook of stats that is. It’s late now so going to go eat dinner. Will look at this tomorrow.

But, seriously, we didn’t bother to record race/ethnicity on 37% of vaccinated people? Having worked in nonprofit for almost 3 decades, we little guys would never have gotten away with this level of incompetence if we wanted to continue to receive gov’t funding. Wtf.

VietnamVet
    Participant

This week the money driven West has found itself on the horns of a dilemma. A year and a half into the pandemic and the propaganda doesn’t work anymore. The mRNA gene therapy has proven ineffective at stopping the transmission of coronavirus. The pandemic is real. The sole remaining hope is that the slow rise in deaths is due to the delta variant being not being as lethal. But it could also be due to mRNA vaccines lowering the number of deaths but anecdotal reports indicate vaccinated delta illnesses are more severe than the unavaccinated at the same hospitals.

There are only two options left, 1) go on a global war footing and eradicate the virus, or 2) just let the virus rip through the population. The first option is a no go. Oligarchs refuse to pay for it. This is the reason, from the get-go, why gene therapies were called “vaccines” and “safe and effective” with only short-term safety and efficacy data generated when half of all Americans were jabbed. There are now acknowledged side effects from the vaccines.

If you are unvaccinated, you are a target and a scapegoat. The Establishment doesn’t give a damn if you and your family survive or not. Anyone can transmit the virus to you. If you must go out in the public, each encounter is playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later you will be exposed to the virus as long as it remains endemic. The alternative is sheltering in place. But, that is getting untenable in the long term, with logistic breakdowns and brewing succession movements due to the corrupt incompetence of the deregulated corporate/state. Both mainline railroad lines up and down the US West Coast are cut due to climate change driven wildfires. We have entered a new era where everyone has Sophie’s Choice.

WES
    Participant

Madamski:

Seems to be a lot of local stuff going on with covid “control”. Saw were Florida teacher’s union said they control what happens in the schools, not the governor nor the parents of the kids!

those darned kids
    Participant

i bet those shots are full of roundup…

upstateNYer
    Participant

Just did a “refresh” and realized madam responded to Dr D’s comment before I did. My apologies. However, the remainder of my comment still stands. Try being a bit nicer, madam. There is no need to criticize everyone. It reeks of ego and indicates insecurity.

@Vietnam Vet: “If you are unvaccinated … Anyone can transmit the virus to you … If you must go out in the public, each encounter is playing Russian Roulette.”

If you say so. But to each their own. I go out in public most days. No mask. Yes, I am *at risk*. I simply don’t care anymore. I’d rather live before dying.

upstateNYer
    Participant

@WES: “Saw were Florida teacher’s union said they control what happens in the schools, not the governor nor the parents of the kids!”

I saw that earlier today, too. I think some of these groups that feel they have power need to be careful. They are pushing it too far and may find themselves swinging in the air when the scales have shifted because people step up and take back control.

I mentioned once before on here, don’t expect the US to “turn on a dime” like other countries because it is huge and turning it is like turning a big ship – takes time. Once it starts, though, better watch out. It won’t be pretty.

phoenixvoice
    Participant

I had a chance to “put my money where my mouth is” this past week. A long-term client needed some computer help, had asked me to come onsite. On Wednesday I called her to adjust the timeframe for Thursday, and she told me that the retirement community where she lives had informed her that two days before she had conversed with a friend in the (outdoor) dog park who has now been diagnosed with Covid. (She didn’t know if the friend had been previously vaccinated.) She was now considered “exposed” — did I still want to come over on Thursday?
    I hesitated for a split second — do I *really* bellieve in my naturally acquired immunity? Yes, I realized, I do. I assured her that it was no problem, I would still come over. When I arrived on Thursday she was getting her mask on — you don’t need to wear the mask, I told her, it isn’t necessary. She is hard of hearing, and I’ve noticed that masking with people who are hard of hearing renders communication nearly impossible. Again — do I truly believe in my immunity? Do I truly believe that masks are useless for Covid.

Yes, I do. I trust my natural immunity over the CDC and any pharmaceutical company every day of the week.

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ WES

Thanks for the information regarding musket falls. Dad thinks it’s a good thing but he thought building musket falls was a good thing. It does not affect me directly for power. However I needed some gasoline for the generator to deal with periods of dark short days last winter.

upstateNYer
    Participant

@phoenix: You GO!! Agree 100,000%. 🙂 Thank you for sharing.

upstateNYer
    Participant

@phoenix: You ROCK!! (I’m not good at what’s currently in style – is that more apropos to your original comment?) Anyhow, YAY YOU! That’s the way to do it. 🙂 Darn, you made my night.

WES
    Participant

Phoenixvoice:

You’re observation that the masks make it very hard to communicate with anyone who is hard of hearing is spot on! Be hard of hearing myself, I sure have had issues communicating with other people. Often I have to get people to write their message on a piece of paper. Others have just lowered their masks to facilitate communication. Even for deaf people the masks hinder communication since deaf people often use their mouth and facial expressions as part of sign language.

Anyway good on you!

phoenixvoice
    Participant

Re dr d:

Does someone have an actual breakdown of unvaccinated? As I understand, there are conservatives, yes, but didn’t I read the real numbers were the young? And they got no traction in the black community? Both those later groups are statistically Democrats, although their reluctance may not add up to 50%”

Good question.
    In my immediate family my parents, my three siblings and their spouses all lean right. My partner and Intend to lean left.
    So..
    The only lefties are against Covid vaccination
    Of the righties,
    4 adults are against Covid vaccination
    4 adults have been fully vaccinated

Doesn’t sound like left/right split.
    Actually, the full split is 6 against — who all had covid
    4 pro — two of which were exposed in their home to covid.

My father has two full brothers, all three are married. All 6 lean right.
    Half are vaccinated, half are not.

Granted, this is an anecdotal breakdown of my own family, but it shows that the divide is *not* along the usual lines between left/right.

Michael Reid
    Participant

So I am wondering, is there going to be mass eviction and foreclosure?

How do you think that will go?

WES
    Participant

Michael:

If your stout is pure enough, might it run your generator in a pinch?

In the old olde days I suppose Islanders kept warm during winter burning mostly firewood. Was burning coal ever a thing in the outports?

thomasjkenney
    Participant

My wife is learning American Sign Language. She said nearly half the language is facial expression…like using the face to denote interrogative vs imperative expressions. She and fellow students, and the professor, likened wearing a mask to losing a whole branch of grammar rules. Imagine if English had no conjunctions.

She also gets spontaneous job offers the moment she mentions she’s studying ASL.

phoenixvoice
    Participant

Hrm…”stout” will never be able to go through a generator. Has to go through a still first. That can get the ethanol into the 90%+ range if done well. To get it to 100% the rest of the water needs to be removed. Silica gel supposedly can be used for that. Never tried it out, but looked into the process years ago as a matter of curiosity.

upstateNYer
    Participant

Golly I need to go eat dinner, I really do, but thank you, WES, for mentioning how masks interfere with verbal communication. I’m not hard of hearing but know that masks freaking suck when communicating. We all read lips and facial expressions. All of us. On top of that, we idiots put plexiglass (NY anyhow) in the way that makes hearing what anyone says even more difficult. Can’t imagine what it must be like for those who don’t hear well. 🙁

My sincere apologies for this nonsense to, idk, everyone? We messed up. All of us. We need to fix it in whatever way we can. Phoenix did that in her recent consulting gig. Let’s all keep doing that.

I, for one, will not put a mask on in a store again, even when the delta variant (is that the latest scary?) goes full hyper. I absolutely REFUSE. And I live in NY. It sucks here.

Hold the line, guys. Sounds like a cliche, but there is a basic truth in most cliches, isn’t there?

WES
    Participant

Michael:

I think all you need to do, is do a little judge shopping! One liberal judge already stopped a red state from ending their $300 a week federal unemployment top up! Liberal judges are not hard to find these days! So stopping evictions should be easy.

Foreclosures are another story! Oddly some banks will be reluctant to start foreclosure because to do so they have reclassified their mortgage as non-performing! Some prefer to pretend! Again a little judge shopping is in order but I think the Supreme Court recently ruled on allowing foreclosures.

upstateNYer
    Participant

But in a barter situation, is stout or ethanol more valuable? (asking for a friend 😉 )

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ WES

Yes burning coal was a thing. It used to come by schooner from Nova Scotia. I have a bag of coal in the basement that my grandmother gave me.

upstateNYer
    Participant

The rent and foreclosure mess will take a long time to work out. I think it will be so low key and long term most of us won’t notice how it happens. WES offered some ideas as to why that’s the case. They can’t allow mass eviction due to rent and foreclosure. They already did that once so it ain’t in the cards this time around because the common folk will pick up on it and there could be a backlash. That’s why it’s being pushed into the shadows for now. For all those who didn’t pay their rent and mortgage over the past 18 months? Hats off!! Y’all win, at least in the short term. 😉

WES
    Participant

Thomasjkenney:

When I was in my 30s, I took a sign language class at night. Somehow I turned out to be as proficient at ASL as I am at dancing! Somehow my mind just could not get itself wrapped around the grammar structure of ASL. Sort of like French! Cow brown, not brown cow!

Not too long ago my Wife made a big fuss that since I am going deaf I should start learning ASL like she is. I said what good would learning ASL do since I am also going blind too. Kind of took the wind out of her sail! She didn’t take too kindly to my logical logic!

those darned kids
    Participant

blackrock gonna buy the lot,
    blackstone gonna get the rest,
    once it’s all done and bought,
    y’all gonna hafta rent that nest.

WES
    Participant

Michael:

I kind of wondered if coal was used, especially as most of the easly accessible trees likely had already been cut and burned around the outports during earlier times.

You know in my first career I used to help facilitate coal mining by building bigger and bigger shovels and draglines!

When my Father was growing up in Saskatchewan they often burned local low btu coal and sawdust depending upon what was available. My Father’s chore was to keep the furnace going around the clock and to shovel out the ashes into a heavy metal garbage can and then put it out for the ashman to collect. That is why my Father loved central heating so much!

WES
    Participant

Those darn kids:

Nice little poem! Even rhymes!

I can tell you as a kid, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t write a poem if my life depended on it! Actually I couldn’t write either! I never could get my mind wrapped around Shakespeare! A technical machine manual no problem! My Father always said of my inability to write, that “You will make a good engineer!”

those darned kids
    Participant

Cosmopolitan – 17 Kinky Ways to Convince Him He Wants The Jab

Vanity Fair – Angela Jolie Shares Top Tips To Persuade the Reluctant

Good Housekeeping – How Trick That Pesky Brother-in-Law to Take Off His Shoes (and get vaccinated..)

Psychology Today – Feeling Down? Try Spreading the Good Word of Vaccines to the Conspiracy Minded

Us – Kelly Leaves Greg Over NonVaxx Status

Field and Stream – Choosing the Best Lures for the Hesitant

Forbes – Long Pfizer, Dumbass

those darned kids
    Participant

thanks, wes. my dad still burns coal. lotsa people do where he lives. the stuff looks so cool in the stove, like a crystal ball peering in on mordor.

WES
    Participant

Michael:

I think the bag of coal from your Grandmother was to ensure that you would never be poor (or cold?)!

I remember my Grandfather giving each of his grandkids a silver dollar so that we would never be poor!

Our old folks were often full of symbolisms like this! Maybe it was one of the old customs passed down from one generation to the next, that we have simply forgotten?

Michael Reid
    Participant

phoenixvoice wrote:

Hrm…”stout” will never be able to go through a generator.  Has to go through a still first.  That can get the ethanol into the 90%+ range if done well.  To get it to 100% the rest of the water needs to be removed.

I plan to use fractional distillation to achieve 96% ethanol. It consists of plumbing and temperature control and it won’t be stout, just fermented sugar which as the starting alcoholic liquid (wash) is 15% max. I will set the wash container in a bath of water that I will heat to specific temperatures.

Set bath to 73 C to eliminate the bad acetaldehyde, acetone and methanol which are present in the distillate at this time. And discard this. Next set the bath to 88 C to harvest the ethanol and good esters. And that is my plan.

those darned kids
    Participant

one must look at the picture

healthing DOT ca SLASH diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/vaccine-for-coronavirus/vaccine-hesitancy

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ WES

My understanding is that when you are a bad boy, you get coal for Christmas

WES
    Participant

Those Darn kids:

Does your Dad live in the Appalachian Mountains? When I was working in the many mines there, it was not uncommon to see folks everywhere digging coal to fill the bed of their pickup truck.

When I worked in a coal mine near Window Rock, Arizona, on the Navajo Indian Reservation, we often would load some free coal into their pickup trucks using a rather oversized front end loader! Sometimes we over did it a little bit with the load size! When the coal load was dropped into the bed of the pickup, there would be an enormous black cloud of coal dust, with coal burying the entire back end of the pickup!

The Navajo didn’t like to get too many large lumps of coal, preferring smaller lumps of coal instead. They would then toss out all the big lumps of coal by hand!

madamski cafone
    Participant

“One thing I will [bluntly] ask madam to do in the future is … provide input without criticizing the commenter you are responding to. Sorry, dudette, but you can be super critical of other perspectives. I enjoy and appreciate a lot of the posts on here. When you constantly dis others, I constantly can’t be bothered to read your posts.”
    No prob but let’s keep it clean, ok?
    First, who here, exactly, “constantly disses others”? Not me. I don’t mean the absolute constant, like a radio transmitter, for you meant a vernacular meaning, something like ‘most of the time’; but I personally take umbrage at this for even that is not true. If anything, I make more personally-aimed remarks admiring or praising or goofing around with others. Check my Replies Created and see.

When I take off the gloves is:

a) when I see people twisting my or their own words weasel-wise, and they won’t respond to polite requests to address this. (This happens a lot, here and everywhere. Standard human mo.)
    b) the other kamikaze trigger is folks who express attitudes of contempt for those who disagree with them rather than the issues they disagree with. Typical formula: If you believe that I’ve got a %^&* to sell you”. It’s like I said when I decided to pop someone’s carbuncle awhile back: don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing. IMO, the people who most lean on, and associate themselves with ‘proper behavior’ are the ones who deliver the most negative behavior
    c) when people make claims without substantiation and won’t answer questions about them, or won’t acknowledge questions, period. That is especially Dr. D but also Raul. To me, tres rude. Maybe not so much for others?
    I’ve given up on c). Rattling their cages does no good, so I don’t get hardass with them any more. Waste of time.
    Important context: I smack folks like that out of respect: it means I’m still trying to take them seriously. Some of them can take an (imo) earned licking and keep on ticking, and I still respond to their ideas and articles diligently if I feel I have some insight or significantly (or just amusingly) relevant data. Mr. House comes to mind. I explained my boundaries to him, forcefully after my frustration mounted, and he responds in a way I feel is honorable, even if I detest many of his responses both for their meaning and how he delivers them. He nonetheless respects the question and responds to it, and that is all a person can ask for. (Some I’ve given up and ignore them if they’ll ignore me. Some do, some don’t.)

As for being super-critical of others’ perspectives: that’s one of the primary things that genuine debate is about. I say, don’t identify with one’s perspective* if you don’t want to feel bad about others attempts to point out the flaws they perceive in it. How dare they? How dare I?
    *(Incidentally, this should give one a better perspective on your perspective, one less ego-clouded. I work hard at it.)

I only say these remarks to explain and clarify: my ego is a minor part of my engagement here as far as disputes go. I have no need to be admired any more than I need to be despised. I know that most of what my ego tells me, both directly from myself and from reflections by others, is delusional narcissistic nonsense that the ego craves like junkfood. I work hard to keep it out of my thinking. Which is why, by the way, I wear mine on my heart: it’s where the ego belongs.

I will certainly honor the request that you’ve made. You didn’t have to try to justify it. (You mostly shot yourself in the foot there, I’m afraid. I do it all the time. I can’t recognize in others things I don’t have inside me, capisce? That’s how empathy works.) Saying “provide input without criticizing the commenter you are responding to” was fine. You didn’t have to commit the same sin I do and pin something like an obsession with dissing people on me, didn’t have to make a negative perspective on me to “justify” asking me to refrain from direct aggression. I’ll say ‘shitfuckdamn’ in church all day long until someone asks me nicely to stop. Shaming me, or standing on tradition, gives me hives. Me and Diogenes, baby.
    Look, I’m obviously way more blunt and verbose than y’alls, but I ain’t any meaner than any of yez either. I just don’t take any shit, and people, imo, dish a lot more shit than they’re willing to cop to, which btw is where I specifically lost it, when Mr. House said, “Don’t blame me, I’m just the messenger.” Affected me the same way Fauci does, that remark. Mr. House is not that remark, but his unwillingness to accept responsibility for his own opinion, to own it as such rather than some absolute truth he was (major hyperbole alert) divinely ordained to deliver from Olympus

I will refrain from hereon out from addressing the character of persons here, whether praisefully or negatively. I will ask them to, in kind, ask me nicely, and directly, any questions they have about my remarks, and will point out when I feel hurt by their approach, not in terms of their character but how I perceived the thrust of their hurt to be negative to me. Which is what I’ve always done until people responded with ad hominem remarks while calling me a Big Bad Butt-Hurter, whereupon I decide I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

People sometimes tell me I’m mighty full of myself. I say, “I’m not a split-personality and I seem to fit myself like a glove. Who else did you think I might be full of? I’m as humble as I can be, and I try hard, with decent success, and I am also as proud as I can be, also trying hard, also with decent success. I know what I know or what I at least think I know, and I am audacious enough to believe that the principles I’m explaining here are valid, useful, and helpful. Not everybody’s cup of tea, but then I don’t write my remarks to be a comment thread best-seller. I don’t care about your ego any more than mine, which is like a puppy: if it whines I pick it up and hug it; if it bites I scold it; if it will just wait and behave and let me do what needs doing, we’ll go to the doggy park.

I write my remarks, in the somewhat unique way that I do, to express what I feel is valid or uplifting or amusing or poignant, from the basic human/animal condition to the wee specifics of the angels counting the cocaine dust on Fauci’s nose. That’s all. Not for my vanity. I don’t need that. I know I’m cool. I like me. They say God loves me. It’s hard to trust people trying to sell you cosmic life insurance, but I believe them. Crazy me.
    Y’all be y’all; I’ll be me. If being me hurts you, let me know. But make it good, ‘k?
    “Try being a bit nicer, madam. There is no need to criticize everyone. It reeks of ego and indicates insecurity.”
    Please note the above remarks. Now, here is MY request: could we all be a bit less dramatic and focused on the Evil of Bad Men and a little more on the Meaning and Quality of Life (including how best to maintain as high a standard of MQL as possible in the darkness we’re entering in earnest)? Because, Bad Men notwithstanding, that is the foundation of everything we discuss here.

But don’t do it because I asked. Only do it if it makes sense to you or at least gives you pleasure.

Fast-Talkin…

WES
    Participant

Michael:

So far I have managed to escape getting a lump of coal in my Xmas stockings!

God knows, I have more than a few lumps of coal coming my way!

phoenixvoice
    Participant

The house we stayed in (vrbo) for a week was in an old mining town. There was an old coal furnace in the basement, along with a couple buckets of coal.

Hm. In a barter situation ethanol *may* be more valuable than stout.
    However, that is assuming that the 100% (or near) pure ethanol doesn’t have any additive to make it toxic to drink. (That is what is done with any ethanol sold that is not for consumption or medical use — that way it doesn’t fall under the liquor laws.) Pure ethanol has many uses — it can be both a fuel and an intoxicant (needs to be diluted!!!!). It can be used as a medicine in a pinch.
    However, if the ethanol is stout…it is tastier.

madamski cafone
    Participant

“Yes burning coal was a thing. It used to come by schooner from Nova Scotia. I have a bag of coal in the basement that my grandmother gave me.”

You and Wes are both fun lenses into an obscure corner of earth and its history. I can smell that bag of coal in your basement.

those darned kids
    Participant

not appalachia, ireland.

ever look at west virginia and kentucky from a satellite view? the mountaintop removal scars look like powdery mildew on a zucchini leaf.

hmmmm, i wonder if neem works on peabody, too.

WES
    Participant

Phoenixvoice:

I am sure Michael can enlighten us more on this particular topic, since it concerns his particular neck of the woods. But as I best understand it, in the old olde days of sailing schooners plying molasses from Jamaica, Newfoundlanders would use the left over crud at the bottom of the molasses barrels, to brew up something known as Newfie Screech!

Since I have never partaken of this particular local brew, I am not sure if the “screech” part comes from the taste or the high alcohol percentage!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.