The Official Thread for Open Comments

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Open Comments The Official Thread for Open Comments

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    ashvin
    Participant

Just what the name says.

ashvin
    Participant

ben,

OK, done.

The front page menu item will take some more time, but it’s in the works.

btw, we are also working on a completely new forum, but that will take even longer.

Also, I advise you move your last comment to the feature thread, if you want people to see it!

JoeP
    el gallinazo

A very interesting voice from Argentina – Adrian Salbuchi

He is totally bilingual

https://www.asalbuchi.com.ar/2012/02/argentine-advice-for-greece-default-now/

Argentina 2001 was a test run for the NWO.

“All governments should understand that you either govern for the people and against the bankers; or you govern for the bankers and against the people.”

JoeP

LG – interesting article.

Salbuchi writes:

“Greece today should do what Argentina did a decade ago: better to endure pain and hardship, and sort out the mess made by your politicians in connivance with international bankers on your own, wielding whatever shred of sovereignty you still have left than allowing the Banker Vultures sitting in Frankfurt, New York and London decide your future.”

And before that, he wrote this:

“today we find that Greece too has a Trilateral Commission Rockefeller/Rothschild man at the helm: Lucas Papademos who is doing the same things Argentina did in 2001/2”

What has to happen in Greece for them to be able to “do what Argentina did a decade ago”?

scandia
    Participant

A friend just e-mailed me an RT article that says Anonymous hacked GEO, a firm that manages private for profit prisons, on Friday. It shows that GEO lobbied the gov’t to make stiffer laws so they can increase the prison population. Good on Anonymous.
    I haven’t come across the story anywhere else yet. Hope it’s true.

ashvin
    Participant

JoeP post=565 wrote: What has to happen in Greece for them to be able to “do what Argentina did a decade ago”?

Basically, default on external debts and allow its re-adopted domestic currency to devalue against the euro. I think he really means it should do what Argentina almost did, because the IMF didn’t take a haircut on its bonds and eventually ended up getting paid back in full. I believe Greece would suffer much higher inflation (or HI) than Argentina did, but it is still much better than staying in.

yapeen

these may be of interest to the TAE mob:

https://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2012/01/16/left-behind/

an excellent three part podcast about the debt explosion and the concentration of wealth. On their back catalog are also a great history of salt in human culture and another on feeding ten billion people.

el gallinazo

Re Argentina,

While the International Mafioso Fund did not take a hit on Argentina’s sovereign debt, the privately held bonds certainly did which was the majority. That also will be similar to the upcoming Greek fiasco. Some of these bond haircuts are still being negotiated (many in the hands of my fellow vultures), and as memory does(n’t) serve me, the average haircut was about 65%. Unfortunately, AR is back in the hands of corrupt politicians run by the banking cartel. They are currently buying up Patagonia as well. But I feel sorry for left leaning Christina (la presidente) as the local papers reported that she lost €100k in a gym bag when last in Europe. I guess that the $10,000 undeclared limit only applies to the axis of evil heads of state.

el gallinazo

Yapeen or anyone else

Can anyone see how to download this series (left behind) as an mp3 file in order to move to an iPod? I can just stream it.

yapeen

two ways – you can follow the “download podcasts” link from their front page :
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/ideas-from-cbc-radio-highlights/id151485663

or open iTunes if you have an ipod or apple product and search in the iTunes store for cbc ideas.

JoeP

India: Lethal Debts

“Rajyam was unable to pay off Rs. 1.18 lakh owed to eight different companies. Employees of microfinance companies, including SKS, urged other borrowers to seize the family’s chairs, utensils and wardrobe and pawn them to make loan payments, her family told investigators. Unable to bear the insults and pressure of the crowd of borrowers who sat outside her home for hours to shame her, Rajyam drank pesticide on September 16, 2010, and died, the family says.”

JoeP

Arvind R.(from comments) wrote: The story is a plagiarism of the events in the USA – the new ideal of Indian neo-liberals. The correspondence is stunning – but our literates don’t seem to notice. This story is about the stupendous rate that our economy is descending quietly into extreme financialization with neo-liberals and feudalists at the helm. High levels of food wastage, the soup kitchens and the homeless shelters have saved USA from suicides – we do not have that luxury. The alternate media is growing in the west mostly due to the highly qualified pool of indebted students realising the hopelessness of their future – here the better off have thicker skins probably attributable to our feudal past. Whereas I was skeptical about the Indian trajectory, this story cleared up matters – we are indeed governed by the failed policies of the IMF and other western banksters. Kudos to The Hindu for the story – but an editorial is needed that will connect the dots for the vision impaired of our country.

I think Arvind “gets it”.

ben

copied from debt slavery 2 thread:

Reverse Engineer post=640 wrote: Extremely difficult to keep people in debt slavery when you don’t have a functioning monetary system. The Euro is headed for the Great Beyond, the Dollar will not be far behind. So how do you hold people in debt servitude if you do not have a functioning monetary system?

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org

corruption is the system. there will always be money. right steveB? :sick: and money conversions/reversions. isn’t money just proxy debt? the state will credit people things they have commandeered via deflation, legislation, coup, or other twickewy: protection, food, clothing, and shelter, so long as they can provide, directly or indirectly, a surplus in return. jimmy the kneecapper don’t need no reason just an excuse. jimmy being vinny’s surviving brother.

JoeP

AIJ Tokyo Asset Management: Billions In Customer Funds Are Missing

“The FSA says it’s now going to do an audit of all 263 firms that have similar investment-management mandates to AIJ’s.”

el gallinazo
    jal
    Participant

Most people cannot balance their bankbooks or do their income tax.

Here is a perfect example of the accountants and the lawyers PROPOSING fraud to the CEO.

Why are the accountants and lawyers not in jail?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9111024/Barclays-tax-avoidance-schemes-blocked-reaction.html

Barclays tax avoidance schemes blocked: reaction
    Barclays has been stopped from using two “highly-abusive” schemes that would have helped it avoid paying hundreds of millions of pounds in tax. Here a some reactions to the news:

This was based on guidance from professional advisors that the treatment was both legal and compliant with the tax code, and given others had used a similar treatment. Barclays also disclosed its participation in an authorised investment fund which is also legal and compliant with the tax code.

JoeP

LG,

I enjoyed the Tylers’ Rant too. I don’t usually read many comments at ZH, but I read a few on this post. One commenter described it as being close to a Tyler Manifesto. It seemed like the ZHer’s were very pleased with this work.

el gallinazo

Today’s Capital Account was really exceptional. Laid it all out with Corzine and Dimon. They are playing hardball.

jal
    Participant

AND you though that the any rules that were an impediment to the survival of the banking system would not be changed …

Think again

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-01/greek-default-insurance-doesn-t-need-to-pay-out-after-bailout-isda-says.html

Greece Default SWAPS Don’t Have to Pay: ISDA
    What a beautiful scam … collect insurance premiums but never pay for any claims.

JoeP

New post from Golem XIV:
    Propaganda Wars : Our Version – Risk Weighted Lies.

What scares the banks is any criticism that goes beyond claims of greed or fraud or even incompetence, and instead questions the system itself. The sanctity and perfection of the system and its right to ‘regulate’ itself, is what they are totally committed to protect. The system is what gives them their status and wealth. Question that and you threaten them where they are vulnerable.

JoeP

Mike Krieger Asks Whether September 11, 2001 Is Our Big Lie

Steven Rattner – Lead auto advisor in the United States Treasury Department under President Barack Obama:

“I think it may fall a little bit into the category of things you just kind of don’t want to know.”

JoeP

Re: previous comment

Commenter Comay Mierda wrote: “…the laws of thermodynamics failed that day and thick vertical steel columns with a melting point of 2700 degrees farhenheit melted in 1200 degree fire. (ignore the countless dust samples taken by scientists that found thermite enriched with silicon for more explosivity)”

As Renée Kathleen Zellweger might say “Comay had me at dust samples”

ben

looks like saudi arabia just took its place in line.

JoeP

The U.S. Strategy to Control Middle Eastern Oil: “One of the Greatest Material Prizes in World History”

snips:

In 1943, President Franklin Roosevelt acknowledged as much when he signed Executive Order 8926, which stated that, “the defense of Saudi Arabia [is] vital to the defense of the United States.”United States Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes, several months earlier, suggested to President Roosevelt that the United States be more involved in organizing oil concessions in Saudi Arabia not only for the war effort, but “to counteract certain known activities of a foreign power which presently are jeopardizing American interests in Arabian oil reserves.” That “foreign power” was Great Britain. In fact, there was immense distrust of British intentions in the Middle East, and specifically in Saudi Arabia, on the part of the State Department’s Division of Near East Affairs (NEA). A great deal of this tension and antagonism, however, emerged from Saudi diplomacy which sought to play off the two great powers against one another in the hopes of securing for itself a better deal.

A 1945 memorandum to President Truman written by the Chief of the Division of Near Eastern Affairs in the U.S. State Department, Gordon Merriam, stated: “In Saudi Arabia, where the oil resources constitute a stupendous source of strategic power, and one of the greatest material prizes in world history, a concession covering this oil is nominally in American control.” Adolf A. Berle, one of Franklin Roosevelt’s closest advisers, particularly in relation to the construction of the post-War world, years later remarked that controlling the oil reserves of the Middle East would mean obtaining “substantial control of the world.”

Beguine

Come on peeps…… tell us what you are doing, interesting articles/links you have found that will be helpful for the transition – what YOU are doing!… commenting on TAE posts is fine … and informative…. but can we please DO something constructive and put forth some ideas?! Don’t feel inhibited… don’t feel you have to say something extraordinarily momentous or highly intellectual or learned! Are you building something, baking something, growing something, saving money, energy etc? Tell us!

Stoneleigh…. please push the boat out?…. 🙂 …and jump in?:)

Beguine post=936 wrote: Come on peeps…… tell us what you are doing, interesting articles/links you have found that will be helpful for the transition – what YOU are doing!… commenting on TAE posts is fine … and informative…. but can we please DO something constructive and put forth some ideas?! Don’t feel inhibited… don’t feel you have to say something extraordinarily momentous or highly intellectual or learned! Are you building something, baking something, growing something, saving money, energy etc? Tell us!

Hydroponics! Check out Peter’s setup inside his house! He grows enough inside to meet about 80% of his nutriition needs. Rest comes from the local fishing.

https://www.doomsteaddiner.org/blog/2012/02/27/the-pros-and-cons-of-hydroponic-food-production-part-1/

RE

Beguine

‘Hydroponics! Check out Peter’s setup inside his house! He grows enough inside to meet about 80% of his nutriition needs. Rest comes from the local fishing’.

Thanks Reverse Engineer! I clicked on the link and stood outside patiently listening to Peter’s ‘discussion of the political aspects’ but unfortunately, I didn’t get inside his house to see his set up. Maybe one has to wait for Part 2 for that? 🙁

PS Please remember that I’ve paid my penny to get in? 🙂

Beguine post=951 wrote: ‘Hydroponics! Check out Peter’s setup inside his house! He grows enough inside to meet about 80% of his nutriition needs. Rest comes from the local fishing’.

Thanks Reverse Engineer! I clicked on the link and stood outside patiently listening to Peter’s ‘discussion of the political aspects’ but unfortunately, I didn’t get inside his house to see his set up. Maybe one has to wait for Part 2 for that? 🙁

PS Please remember that I’ve paid my penny to get in? 🙂

You have to poke around inside the Diner. Here is a direct link for a Tour of Peter’s House 🙂

https://www.doomsteaddiner.org/forum/index.php?topic=11.0

RE

Beguine

Hmmm…. thanks, Reverse Engineer. I’m trying to imagine Mrs Pete trying to find a seat in the lounge room/lab. I wonder how many people could grow their food like that and still have a normal family life? 🙂 But all power to Mr Pete if all of that works!

I think I’ve had my penny’s worth… 🙂 thank you!

Beguine post=976 wrote: Hmmm…. thanks, Reverse Engineer. I’m trying to imagine Mrs Pete trying to find a seat in the lounge room/lab. I wonder how many people could grow their food like that and still have a normal family life? 🙂 But all power to Mr Pete if all of that works!

I think I’ve had my penny’s worth… 🙂 thank you!

“Normal Family Life”? What is that? Sitting around the Rec Room with the Kiddoes playing the Wii? What kind of “normal family life” will you have if you can’t get enough food to eat, eh? Read that Starvation stuff Ashvin published up here. “Normal Family Life” for Ukrainians during their Famine was Eating their Kids!

MOST of the population here does not live on Doomsteads with 10 Acres of land around them, they live in McMansions plopped on 1/4 acre plots that barely have space to set up your BBQ outside.

Sure, Peter’s Hydroponics takes up his whole freaking living room, and in fact he mentioned to me he was going to convert one of the bedrooms also for grain production. Don’t know if he has done that yet. Fortunately for Peter, there is not a Mrs. Pete getting her panties in a twist because he’s turning the whole house into a hydroponics production facility. However, given the choice here between setting up a Big Screen Home theatre in your Living Room and a Hydroponics growing facility, which is the better Lifeboat, eh? You asked for Lifeboats, this is one way to do it, and in fact can be done CHEAPER than your Big Screen Home Theatre.

Hydroponics is the MOST efficient way to grow food, you keep all the nutrients none of it gets washed into the soil and wasted out. You can use all sorts of stuff to make your nutrient stew, but really just a few bags of commercial fertilizer can last you for YEARS here. Combined with using Heirloom seeds that will breed true, the system can last for a very long time indeed.

There are issues with it I know of, you can get algae growth problems in the tanks and so forth if you don’t have them well sealed against light penetration. Insect pests can cause problems also as they do for all plant growth methods.

However, what are your CHOICES here if you do not live on a doomstead with sufficient acreage for subsitence farming, eh? Goobermint Cheese is about it for most people. Not a whole lotta people are going to trip out to the commons on the Last Great Frontier and fish it up either.

Hydroponics is a very REAL Lifeboat that can be accomplished in a small space, which peter has PROVED possible IRL. if it disturbs you “normal family life”, well, that is a small price to pay IMHO for having enough food to eat, now isn’t it?

RE

Ross wrote: Kids just want to be kids. I know, I’m still a kid. I want a decent job, lots of free time and enough left over to go on a few vacations every year. That’s the kid in me. On the other hand, any job I could possibly find, including this one feels like an epic waste of time. 9-5 punching buttons to what end?

-Ross

To what end indeed? 30 years ago there was another young man working on Wall Street who asked himself these questions. That young man is long gone now, but he remembers the yearnings. And then when I pull up a 20 year old video of Roger Daltry, still pretty much in his prime after 30 years as a Rocker singing the anthem written by the then dead Freddie Mercury, the contradictions and futility of the dreams of youth inspired by the seemingly limitless wealth of the Age of Oil all come rushing back to me….

Read the rest at
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org/blog/2012/03/07/i-want-it-all/

RE

FrankRichards
    Participant

Boiling maple sap.

Glennjeff
    Participant

Beguine,

We’ve just installed a aquaponics system, edible fish in tanks excrete waste which is pumped to trays of growing media where food crops are grown. It’s been up and running for a couple of weeks and growth rates for vegetables are outstanding. We have solar power setup to power pumps.

I will get some photos and links together and post them to lifeboat, that should allay your prepper anxiety a little. The lifeboat section may be a slow growth item.

SORRY BUT HAVE TO TEST OUT A COUPLE OF THINGS HERE.

Burlesque in Norfolk and the Truth about Violence at Occupy

In the scheme of things, the politics of Occupation occur on bigger stages than Norfolk, VA. Better known and noisier Occupations on Wall Street or Oakland, even Richmond, make the news and earn the headlines. Yet the fact that several groups of Occupiers maintain a presence and effect actions here in the heart of East Coast military might, and continue to bear witness to the abuses of the combination of state and economic power even here, has seemingly rattled the judgement of the stewards of that power here in southeastern Virginia.

Later she told me, “Right before it happened, I had a moment of clarity: that this was going down, and I could choose to go through with it, and if I did there could be repercussions. And I decided then to do it. And while they were arresting me, I felt pity for them.” The pretrial thoughts ofCarmen, my 20-year old daughter, the “littlest Occupier.”

Read more at

https://www.doomsteaddiner.org/blog/2012/03/08/burlesque-in-norfolk-and-the-truth-about-violence-at-occupy/

Glennda
    Participant

Thanks, RE

I really appreciated that article on the Truth about OWS especially the parts about OO. So much of the MSM goes into fantasy land about the Occupy movement.

I expect that May 1 is going to be very interesting. People are just getting thoughts about want different actions to do that day. Unions will do worker oriented strikes, others will Occupy the Hood etc etc. I expect there to be a very multifaceted bunch of actions, marches, statements and the police will probably be unable to comprehend a targetless or rather too many targes at once. In OO the police will cost the city huge amounts of $ and that will be blamed on the Occupiers. They can never examine themselves as to why they don’t just embarace this movement that is simiply not just fading away.

Galen

Just testing my new login,

Cheers

Geoff from Perth in Western Australia, for those interested it’s currently 39 degrees centigrade and we are officially in Autumn!

Got to love climate change

Glennda post=1057 wrote: Thanks, RE

I really appreciated that article on the Truth about OWS especially the parts about OO. So much of the MSM goes into fantasy land about the Occupy movement.

YW Glenda, but really Surly is the one to thank, he’s the OWS Editor on DD. I’m just the Board Loose Cannon 🙂 Surly is active in the Norfolk GA and keeps abreast of all OWS related developments.

I expect that May 1 is going to be very interesting. People are just getting thoughts about want different actions to do that day. Unions will do worker oriented strikes, others will Occupy the Hood etc etc. I expect there to be a very multifaceted bunch of actions, marches, statements and the police will probably be unable to comprehend a targetless or rather too many targes at once. In OO the police will cost the city huge amounts of $ and that will be blamed on the Occupiers. They can never examine themselves as to why they don’t just embarace this movement that is simiply not just fading away.

I suspect as well as Spring arrives and then Summer and the Political Conventions, OWS will resurface with more “in your face” activity. TPTB are however clearly preparing the Gestapo (read the COPS Article), so to be effective OWS is going to have to generate much bigger numbers in this next go round.

Of course, if we get in an overt Shooting War with the Iranians this will change the dynamic in many ways, so its just something you have to watch and see how it develops.

RE
    https://www.doomsteaddiner.org

gezelle
    Participant

I am in NY, in an area which has one of the largest large Greek populations
    out side of Athens. In the past few years, as children and grandchildren “made good” and moved to greener pastures and their Mc mansions elsewhere, the population has declined somewhat……this has recently changed.
    My immediate area has seen a very recent influx of older to very old new Greek arrivals. Local residents are bringing their relatives, who were formerly content to remain in Greece over, and in large numbers. They apparently cannot make it any longer on reduced pensions and soaring food and fuel prices.
    After a trip to the local cheese and olive emporium today, a chat with the owner
    revealed that the young people are still staying away despite record unemployment numbers in Greece because we have so little available in the way of jobs for the educated young ones, and even family jobs, ie restaurants and small businesses here cannot accomodate their sheer numbers. Some are choosing to stay and fight, others are heading to Europe, hoping for some employment and life. When I see them starting to arrive here. it will be clear that the end is very near for the status quo.

Robert 1

Didn’t find an appropriate category for this so I am putting it in the general dump category.

The world is full of plastic waste, much of which is non-biodegradable. Two young fellows have developed a substitute made from mushroom mycelium and grain waste such as rice hulls.

Please see: https://www.usatoday.com/money/smallbusiness/story/2012-03-10/mushrooms-as-eco-firendly-packing-materials/53441606/1

If there is a more appropriate section for this post, please point it out to me. A section called renewable resources might be useful for this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.