Debt Rattle February 12 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 12 2021

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Ansel Adams The Tetons and the Snake River 1942   • Cuomo Aide Admits They Hid Nursing Home Data From Feds (NYP) • Kent Covid Variant Mutation Mu
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle February 12 2021]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Ansel Adams The Tetons and the Snake River 1942

A master at their craft; exquisite!

Mister Roboto
    Participant

Ivermectin, the silver bullet that We Refuse To Use. As always, we should ask “Why is that?”

C19

Basseterre Kitona
    Participant

Masks Exacerbate Airborne Spread

That wouldn’t surprise me in the least given that every place that has mandated masks then saw infection rates immediately rise.

The mask madness needs to end. The world will not be sane again until we bury the pseudo science that created the gospel of the holy mask.

zerosum
    Participant

Manipulative words by thought police

debunked claims of critics with 800,000 subscribers
    Reckless rhetoric
    denounced
    legitimacy
    “enemy within.”
    interpreted subjectively
    criticizing and harassing
    not a healthy political organization.
    they will do it again
    incitement
    ———
    https://c19ivermectin.com/

Database of all ivermectin COVID-19 studies. 58 studies, 22 peer reviewed, 38 with results comparing treatment and control groups.

——
    https://c19study.com/

Database of all HCQ COVID-19 studies. 247 studies, 177 peer reviewed, 203 comparing treatment and control groups.
    ———
    News from a sunny Vacation retreat

Doctors cure 6,000 patients with Covid-19 with Ivermectin

September 29, 2020 | 2:07 pm

Doctors cure 6,000 patients with Covid-19 with Ivermectin

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/covid-19/
    COVID-19 February 12, 2021 | 7:28 am

Dominican Republic to roll out vaccine from China

Dr. D
    Participant

What can I do to make a Congressman cry today? I’ll put yesterday’s film on loop.

I think you’re right Susmarie. It’s all about collapse. And who’s in the chair when they pull the plug of the Jubilee, long overdue.

1971 + 49 = 2020. Year 50 is the sabbath. We’ve been obeying that rule, have we not? Whether we wanted, believed, or no?

Some stories are stranger than others. Springsteen was arrested on DWI charges in a NJ park in November, while he had 1/4 of the legal limit in his system. But the arresting park ranger insists he was plastered.

Bruce Springsteen Was With Fans, Failed Sobriety Tests When Charged With DWI

Springsteen’s blood-alcohol content was 0.02 when he was arrested, a source familiar with the case told the Asbury Park Press. The legal threshold indicating intoxication for driving purposes in New Jersey is 0.08, which calls into question why Springsteen was charged with driving while intoxicated, the source said.

The ranger stated that he “observed four out of six clues on the horizontal gaze nystagmus test,” a field sobriety test in which a person suspected of being intoxicated is asked to follow a small object with their eyes while keeping their head still. Springsteen was “visibly swaying back and forth while I observed his eyes, Hayes said.

The ranger also put Springsteen through a walk and turn test, where a person is asked to take heel-to-toe steps while walking in a straight line and then turn and walk back the other direction. The ranger wrote that he observed five out of eight clues that would indicate a person is intoxicated. Springsteen took 45 total steps during the walk and turn instead of the instructed 19, according to the summons.

phoenixvoice
    Participant

I am agnostic as to whether or not mask wearing can turn droplets into aerosols. However, when mask wearing became the norm in Maricopa County in AZ (most populous county, home of Phoenix,) due to local city and county regulations, infection levels dropped two weeks afterwards.

It troubles me greatly when statements are made that generalize cherry picked facts to support an opinion. I find this happening in the political sphere frequently. (Trump’s second impeachment is full of this sort of thing).

Now, did mask wearing cause this change in number of daily Covid infections? Without more data it is impossible to know clearly, perhaps folks just took social distancing in general more seriously? However, *this* data suggests that masks help curb the spread. Other data may be contradictory or neutral. By examining all of the data systematically we begin to approach “what is real.”

kultsommer
    Participant

What is in Rickards’ excellent article could be for a good part a reason of sudden “need for Covid-scare”.
    Power entity must have a field day just watching utter confusion out there, regarding masks and vaccines. They are not in the hurry.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

• The Only Way Out of the Death Trap (Rickards)
    “A rise in the price of gold from $1,900 per ounce to $5,000 per ounce is a massive devaluation of the dollar… FDR did this to perfection in 1933, and his actions began to dig us out of the Great Depression.”

That would make gold investors like Rickards happy, but I don’t believe it would solve the problem. The US government under Roosevelt had more than twice the gold and less than 1% of the money supply it has now. The problem is much worse now.

The M2 money supply rocketed from $55 Billion in 1940, to $19,400 Billion in 2021.

The US Total Gold Reserves were 628.3 million troy ounces in 1940, but are now 261.5 million troy ounces (if not less).

Dividing the M2 money supply dollars by the number of reserve ounces of gold gives $87 per ounce in 1940, and $72,000 per ounce in 2021.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

By the way, the official number for the Total U.S. Government Gold Reserve is 261,498,926.241 troy ounces. Perhaps the three decimal place “accuracy” is meant to inspire confidence, but for me the effect is the opposite.

1/1000 ounce of gold is 0.031 grams, a small flake.

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/gold-report/current.html

Polder Dweller
    Participant

Phoenixvoice,

That’s interesting about Maricopa county. I followed the reported cases for Italy, Spain, France, UK, Germany, Belgium and Holland, and every single one showed an increase in the number of cases when the mask mandates came in.

John Day
    Participant

RFK Jr for President, someday, and Tulsi Gabbard for Secretary of War, or VP, someday…
    Thanks for all the kind and thoughtful comments yesterday, friends and fellow-travelers.
    We’ll all be deplatformed and e-shunned soon, I suppose, but it looks like the overlords are having to ram too much compliance and police state down our throats too soon, maybe too late.
    It can’t “work”, whatever maintenance of their own power and order they might hopefully envision.
    It CAN be horrific, which it is our job to mitigate, since it affects us.
    @V.Arnold. Good comment about 9/11 yesterday. Eisenhower saw things well underway, already, and the machine killed JFK, RFK and MLK, but it’s the same machine, and has to kill most of the people in the world this time, as I understand the analysis.
    Rare Friday ice-morning in Austin. Working this afternoon, COVID clinic.
    Ivermectin for Surgeon General. Vitamin-D for Thee and Me…

Dr. D
    Participant

And all it takes is lies upon lies, where no one removes the liars.

zerosum
    Participant

Too bad …. the word “fight” has a democrat meaning and a republican meaning.

Mr. House
    Participant

Turning on each other already

Mr. House
    Participant

Gotta make sure the gate keepers remain the gate keeps and nobody wanders off narrative.

Dr. D
    Participant

Thought I’d find this somewhere:

Ppl
    https://quotes.pub/q/people-dont-believe-what-you-tell-them-they-rarely-believe-w-84590

People don’t believe what you tell them. They rarely believe what you show them. They often believe what their friends tell them. They always believe what they tell themselves.

What leaders do: they give people stories they can tell themselves. Stories about the future and about change.” -Seth Godin

Fake stories. Self-advancing, aggrandizing stories. Fatal, tragic, and suicidal stories. Are the stories we make for ourselves really so bad they deserve these counterfeits? Your younger self would be ashamed of you.

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/business/reuters/air-canada-says-encouraged-by-government-aid-talks-after-carrier-reports-loss-551828/
    Air Canada shares were up 4.5% in afternoon trade.
    It reported a net loss for 2020 of C$4.65 billion ($3.65 billion) compared with a 2019 profit of C$1.48 billion.
    Air Canada said it was seeking further cost reductions, plans to reduce its first-quarter capacity by about 85% compared with a year earlier, and projects quarterly net cash burn between C$1.35 billion and C$1.53 billion.

Who, (bank), is lending that kind of money?
    If the gov. does not give them the money, to pay the banks, then, What will be the increased cost of flying to pay back the loans from the banks?
    Lets not forget the increased cost of covid19 on the airlines the airports and services.

The rifraf are going to be priced out of flying to get away from the cold and the snow.
    Therefore, there will be excess capacity causing price increase to cover cost of low volumes.

Gort
    Participant

“.241 troy ounces.” Possibly a bottle of Goldschlager?

I am trying to figure out why people are now so terrified by disease.
    Can we know a language without knowing we know it? Can there be subliminal messages hidden in the flickering light of the television?
    Is there a hidden language of resonance? Are the smart phones putting out some nearly inaudible noise which makes people edgy and twitchy?
    It would be lovely if we still had concerts and plays- no one dare cough or sneeze in public, now. It is a far cry from when you had to remind someone they should not come to work if they are so sick.

$5000 gold? Why not $10,000? What happens to silver, then? Silver is so useful.
    Gold is mostly just pretty- though not as pretty as copper.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

And yet Air Canada is taking over Air Transit!

WES
    Participant

Joe is specializing in “broken promises” kept!

WES
    Participant

When FDR devalued the US dollar by raising the US price of gold from $20 to $35 he mostly screwed the US people.

Today if the US were to devalue the US dollar by raising the US price of gold to $5,000, the US would be screwing the whole world!

This isn’t going to happen.

zerosum
    Participant

Raising the price of gold would create a new class of Billionaires.

Off topic: Is entropy involved in magnetism?
    On topic: Where does entropy fit in the green built better sustainable new normal reset deal?
    Fun: We were at -26C this morning- a warming trend from a couple days ago. It kills green ash beetles. It got up to -18C. I am practicing my celsius.

Delving into my scandihun, germanavian roots, I love the snap of the coldest part of winter. It spares the gardener so many issues when the growing season begins.

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:

Raising the price of gold would “not” create a new class of billionaires!

Why? Because the value of gold does not change! The value of gold is constant!

The only thing that changes is the value of paper money goes down! So you need more paper to buy gold!

Owning gold merely preserves current wealth! It does not increase wealth! It is like insurance!

An ounce of gold bought a suit in Roman times and it will buy a suit in the future too!

chettt
    Participant

“The Fed can call a board meeting, vote on a new policy, walk outside and announce to the world that effective immediately, the price of gold is $5,000 per ounce.”

So what? Nobody prices anything in gold anymore. Dollars have had no link to gold since 1971 and even then it was all a charade that broke down when the French tried to convert their dollars. Gold is nothing more than a pretty commodity, more like tulips in the 1600s. If the fed wants to set their selling price at $5000 then that their prerogative but there’s no reason for the rest of the world to care.

WES
    Participant

my parents said know:

You must live in sunny Minnesota to see a silver lining in cold temperatures!

When I was a kid, my family lived in Northern Quebec/Labrador.

One year we got a new school principal from southern Canada.

In early October we got our first big snow fall, 3 feet plus. Our school principal, lived about 4 houses down the street from us. From his front window he watched us, out playing in the snow all day long!

The next time we got another big dump of snow he didn’t cancel school and we were so disappointed!

Up until I was 10, before we moved down to Montreal, I had always thought you had to have at least 4 or 5 feet of snow for Halloween! I didn’t know Halloween was supposed to be green!

I also remember my Mom yelling at us to get off the roof of the house in the wintertime because we liked to jump off the roof into the softer snow on the leeward side of the house! We could easily walk up the hard packed wind driven snow on the windward side of the house onto the roof.

Yes we built igloos and forts, using a long bread knife to cut blocks of snow!

Snow lasted about 10 months of the year with the ice on the lakes melting late June to early July. Every year they put a car out on the lake and held a raffle as to when it would fall through the ice!

WES
    Participant

chettt:

Actually all of the world’s major central bankers keep huge stockpiles of gold in their vaults! And for very good reason! Gold has no third party liabilities! Gold is the only true money!

Unlike paper money which is an IOU from central bankers! Many would say central banker’s paper money is more like an IOUN – “I owe you nothing”!

As a central banker, *If you don’t hold gold, nobody will take you seriously! You need some gold to be credible!

Another way of looking at gold. Gold serves as paper money’s horizon. Without a “horizon”, imagine trying to fly a plane! Without a fixed horizon, you wouldn’t know if you were flying upside down or about to crash into the ground!

Another way of looking at gold verses central banker’s paper money. Imagine if you were floating in space. There are no horizons in space.

You might observe Mr. USD (devaluing faster) falling below Mr. Yen. But maybe Mr. Yen is actually rising? Then again maybe Mr. USD and Mr. Yen are both (devaluing) falling but Mr. USD is just (devaluing faster) falling faster? How do you tell without a reference point?

This is where gold provides a fixed reference point or “horizon” to our central banker’s artifical paper money world.

That is why gold is being suppressed by central bankers! They are trying to manipulate your horizon or reference point! They don’t want you to see how much they are devaluing their paper money by printing ever more amounts of paper money!

Gold hasn’t gone out of style! Central bankers desperately need/want you to think so!

Please don’t be fooled by the lies central bankers want you to believe!

WES- The cold snap is just a reliable, welcome event where cabin fever can be relieved by throwing boiling water into the air to make snow. We are easily entertained at this time of year in sunny Minnesota.
    We manage to find the balance- not so much snow as the NE; not so much cold as …(let me think about that one) oh yea- Siberia (with the most luscious summers to make up for all of it).
    In seventh grade I and my girlfriends started wearing jeans in the winter because we didn’t think it was fair to have to walk a half a mile to the bus stop in a dress. We got sent home a few times, but we won in the end. Thus were females allowed to wear pants to school forever after in the Richfield school system.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ WES

I mostly agree with your reply to Chett; however and most importantly, gold is a store of value not an investment. Further I would suggest using gold as an investment is a mistake unless you’re very wealthy and even then it’s questionable….
    Gold has 5,000 years behind it as a universal store of value.
    Those who understand this buy gold regardless of the price at any given moment.
    David Graeber, in his book Debt, The First 5,000 Years, does a yeomans job of defining debt and the historical importance of Gold.

WES
    Participant

my parents said know:

Being the first to break ice is always tough! I am surprised wearing dresses in winter existed! Certainly my younger sister always wore pants to school during the winter (1960s)!

Around our neighborhood, my son was always known for wearing shorts to school during the winter! But Toronto is relatively mild compared to say Montreal.

When we first moved to Montreal from Labrador, I thought I had hit Miami! Then when I moved to Toronto I thought I had hit Miami again! Toronto is warmer than Montreal, similar to Milwaukee (worked out of there off and on for 8 years). Montreal is more like Minnesota.

Now wintering in northwestern New Mexico on the Navajo reservation was great! Got above freezing nearly every day! Then on long weekends would drive 12 hours to warm Phoenix!

I have also experienced winters in southeastern Saskatchewan by N.Dakota border, Montana, and Wyoming. And yes Siberia too!

In my old age I am now allergic to cold winters! Right now wish I could join my brother from Detroit working remotely from Florida,

WES
    Participant

V. Arnold:

Yes gold is just a store of value as I pointed out to Zerrosum above earlier.

V. Arnold
    Participant

It is quite interesting (to me) the different mind set on gold in the west by comparison to here in Asia.
    A poster a few days ago told of the problem she had selling a gold ring and apparently couln’t sell it.
    My wife recently wanted to sell 2 gold rings to buy a gold bar that was slightly heavier than the 2 rings, of course, paying the difference in cash…no problem at all. Because she bought the rings some many months ago she got more for them than she payed originally. This is actual as opposed to anecdotal…
    Gold is and always has been money, which only enhances its value as a store of value…

chettt
    Participant

Gold is not money and has not been linked to the money supply for 50 years. It was money once and when it was every other thing was valued against it but those days are long past and, unless the entire world financial system completely breaks down, the chance of gold becoming the basis of a world money system are nil.
    Humans like gold. It’s rare, shiny and easily purified. Pretty to look at, easy to manipulate and pretty much useless as a weapon or construction material. It’s always been collected and traded and, because of it’s fairly consistent supply, it’s been used as the basis for the trading of goods and money systems. It’s always had some value but in today’s world it is nothing more than a collectable like a piece of art.
    Again, so what?
    Rickards seems to think that if the fed starts buying gold at $5000/oz with newly printed money then inflation would quickly follow but where’s the logic in that? The Fed is already printing and distributing trillions of newly printed dollars in the form of QE, no gold is necessary to create more dollars.

V. Arnold
    Participant

The Fed is already printing and distributing trillions of newly printed dollars in the form of QE, no gold is necessary to create more dollars.

…and just what, pray tell, does that have to do with gold?

Dr. D
    Participant

Interesting take on gold. How can it both be a unchanging store of value and be mispriced? If it’s mispriced, it’s either high or low, and if priced too low, must be bought. If it’s insurance that’s no different. Burry bought a hundred-bil$ in MBS insurance (default swaps) because they sold him the insurance mispriced.

If it only bought a suit, it would be the only asset in human history that didn’t fluctuate to highs and lows.

Over TIME, perhaps, it holds, but I think you could buy more than a suit with gold in Hanoi in 1975. More than a suit in the Soviet Union in 1985. Less than a suit in NYC in 1995.

And is it money? To whom? Do you want a bar of gold or a bar of chocolate in Venice Beach, 2005? They chose the candy. In Bangkok I wager they would pick the gold bar. So Bernanke said gold has no purpose at all, yet all central banks hold it and fret about it, and in the case of London and NY, steal it worldwide, from Libya, Ukraine, Venezuela, and topple governments, spend and kill millions to do so. …So clearly it has no practical purpose to them.

Maybe what matters is what THEY think of it, not Brittany in Venice Beach. And would $5k solve the problems? No, you insider-shill-idiot of status quo think, Rickards. And the price comparative to 1980 would be $20,000 now. Correct that the gold means nothing, what we have is a PROMISE problem. All the pensions funds in Norway are PROMISES to deliver, not gold, but Farikal and akvavit, good yule logs and Volvos. If all those PROMISES are not kept, it doesn’t matter about the gold, only that you DEFAULTED, the money people imagined is not there, and they pull in their horns and save, not spend, to fill up the till to safety again. Their idiotic pricing trick, minting one platinum coin with “$1 Trillion” stamped on the side solves nothing. And they know it. And HE knows it. And he also knows although this is the usual way to escape the last few times, swapping gold for silver, silver for paper, paper for gold, it won’t work this time. Or without the death of millions or billions. They don’t mind and even promote that, but they know they won’t survive it. We’ll make sure. Amazing Flores article on just this: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2021/02/12/globalist-dilemma-how-implement-4th-industrial-revolution-without-losing-power/

He’s just mouthing the words. Now obviously, having an asset that is not a promise but a tangible commodity is preferable, but that doesn’t make heat appear in your kitchen when Germany suicidally shuts down every coal mine and shuts off trucking. Gold will go up. …Against the DOW, against expensive houses. But it’s possible it will go DOWN against wheat because they would both rise together.

Well, enough, you get the point. Imagine every thing you own that’s not in your house, and anything on payments there too, all disappear. When you call the bank, the broker, they don’t pick up the phone. Well, you’ll look like Greece. Life is life then, all promises are gone. All power is naked. Thus they need to add infinite fascism, infinite oppression, infinite austerity until you say “no.” What’s mine is mine and you can’t have it. You get the government, the life, the morality you will tolerate.

zerosum
    Participant

If I, now own a piece of gold worth $1,000 and you then you tell me that it is worth $20,000 then yes, I will be 20X richer.
    Of course, if you increase the price of a suit of clothe by 20X then I will not be richer than before.
    Until the price of a suit of clothes goes up by 20X, I’m going to be able to buy 20 suits with my piece of gold.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.