Debt Rattle April 15 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 15 2020

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Harris&Ewing National Press Club Building newssstand, Washington DC 1940   • First, The People Die; Then, The Stories (Rusty Guinn) • Trump A
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 15 2020]

From yesterday’s thread, which I just now read:

“Ilargi has become emotively attached to his position…”

I have no idea what position this refers to. It might help to not only as Bosco says, add “I think that Ilargi..”, but to also say what that position is, on which topic, etc. As is, I can’t even reply, because I wouldn’t know to what.

V. Arnold
    Participant

riveting

Indeed 😉

sumac.carol
    Participant

What I ‘think’ they are referring to is that you do not consider that locking down the economy for extended periods of time, with all of the economic hardship and resulting social ills, is the right thing to do, and that there is no reasonable argument to counter this position. For my part I am not at all convinced that locking down everyone and everything is the right answer.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“Honestly, I know I still can’t write very well! I can only glue a string of words together.”

That’s writing, and from my perspective, you write a good clean page, WES. Institutional education beats the smarts out of most everybody, makes them think they’re dumb when they’re not et vice-versa.

upstateNY: well, thanx, podner.

boscohorowitz
    Participant
    ₿oogaloo
    Participant

A few observations about the recent numbers: Sweden is in bad shape, with a very low testing rate and a very high death rate among confirmed cases. Czech Republic has done a remarkable job by promoting masks — R0 dropping very low compared to other Western countries. Russia is now in trouble — the only large country that still has a 15% day over day increase. The US has a very low recover rate — how can that be with all the noise that this is just the flu? Korea is dropping like a rock in the global standings — my wife is waiting for the day when Japan overtakes Korea in the standings and she can declare victory on behalf of all Koreans. India is still climbing at a very slow pace — is there any explanation for that given what we know about hygiene in India? Singapore was on top of things for a long time but seems to be slipping with a 10% increase yesterday, even under a very restrictive lockdown.

Overall the larger countries are seeing a slowdown. Instead of 10-15% day over day increases, for the most part we are down to 5% or less day over day. That’s because of social distancing and widespread shutdowns. Without those if we had continued on a 10-15% day over day increase most countries would really be screwed by now . . . .

oxymoron
    Participant

I disagree Ilargi re the comment about you added about cost/benefit analysis articles not worth reading. I think it is essential reading. Economic activity is for most humans the gateway to food which is the gateway to keeping the human body ticking along. It must be considered. I don’t know the answers but I reckon asking alot of questions is important. I may be misunderstanding your position on this though.
    I always liked Dimitry Orlov’s work in his book Shrinking the Technosphere. To keep humans physically distant so far in this project has involved high use of technology and implied force. Social Contracts are being arrived at from a top down approach and I guess they will last as long as enough people go along with them….
    Thanks again for the news gathering, so much worth considering.

zerosum
    Participant

Harris&Ewing National Press Club Building newssstand, Washington DC 1940
    Spit and polished shoes

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com/2020/04/dr-days-covid-cocktail.html
    Though information is rapidly proliferating, it currently looks likely that the way hydroxychloroquine/Plaquenil works is by opening a channel for zinc ions to enter cells, where they interfere with the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. There have been reports by treating physicians in the field that the hydroxychloroquine really needs to be taken with zinc to work.
    I have been trying to get some zinc lozenges for almost a month now, and oral zinc is just not currently available in lozenges or capsules. Sold out.
    I was able to get zinc citrate as a dietary supplement from Bulk Supplements online, and it was delivered promptly in a few days, which is quick as things now stand.
    According to the package 150 mg of the powder contains 51 mg of elemental zinc. I don’t havea milligram scale, so I looked up (took a while) the density of zinc citrate bulk powder, which is 980 mg/cc. That’s very easy to work with.
    A level 1/4 teaspoon is 1.25 cc, which is about 420 mg of elemental zinc.
    (I will point out that zinc sulfate is much more dense at 3.54 gm/cc, so a straight substitution for zinc sulfate would have a lot more zinc.)
    The best oral zinc dosing I can find for coronavirus treatment is on the order of 220 mg per day, which is not a critical number, as far as I can tell.
    Zinc is not accumulated in the body in any kind of storage form, so it is absorbed and the excess is excreted. The main thing is to have extra zinc available, and sipping on an oral hydration solution should be ideal.
    Coronavirus illness in general can also cause abdominal pain, diarrhea and loss of appetite. The people I have been seeing who test positive have little appetite and various digestive tract symptoms like pain and runny stool..
    When the immune system is fighting coronavirus hard, creating fever and other symptoms, there is a lot of debris and toxic oxidants that the body needs to get rid of. High dose vitamin-C has been used for this at doses up to 20 grams per day IV drip. Oral dosing is more typically 2 to 3 grams per day in divided doses.
    Both zinc and vitamin-C will be easily integrated into an oral rehydration solution, which optimizes the ratio of sodium to glucose, to get water, salt and sugar into the bloodstream faster. This was initially devised to save people with severe diarrhea, who did not have access to IV fluids, and went on to be marketed as sports drinks, too.
    Lets make a gallon at a time, to make measurements a little easier for the zinc citrate and sodium ascorbate (vitamin-C) powders.
    Combine:
    1 gallon of water
    8 level tablespoons of white or brown cane sugar
    2 level teaspoons table salt
    1 level teaspoon vitamin-C powder, sodium ascorbate, which contains 4.4 grams vitamin-C
    level 1/4 teaspoon zinc citrate powder, which contains 420 mg elemental zinc

I would like the taste better with some lime juice squeezed in.
    This will be absorbed more readily at room temperature, than refrigerated, but it will grow bacteria if left out a long time at room temperature.
    A dosage range of 2 to 3 quarts per day should be safe and fairly ideal, while treating active coronavirus infection.
    This is not a preventive. Take while sick, then stop when well.
    That much zinc long term reduces absorption of copper, which your body also needs.

CJ Hopkins writes “satire”. That’s his defense. It’s funny, see?
    What we are experiencing is a further evolution of the post-ideological model of power that came into being when global capitalism became a global-hegemonic system after the collapse of the Soviet Union. In such a global-hegemonic system, ideology is rendered obsolete. The system has no external enemies, and thus no ideological adversaries. The enemies of a global-hegemonic system by definition can only be internal. Every war becomes an insurgency, a rebellion breaking out within the system, as there is no longer any outside.
    As there is no longer any outside (and thus no external ideological adversary), the global-hegemonic system dispenses with ideology entirely. Its ideology becomes “normality.” Any challenge to “normality” is henceforth regarded as an “abnormality,” a “deviation from the norm,” and automatically delegitimized. The system does not need to argue with deviations and abnormalities (as it was forced to argue with opposing ideologies in order to legitimize itself). It simply needs to eliminate them. Opposing ideologies become pathologies … existential threats to the health of the system.
    In other words, the global-hegemonic system (i.e., global capitalism) becomes a body, the only body, unopposed from without, but attacked from within by a variety of opponents … terrorists, extremists, populists, whoever. These internal opponents attack the global-hegemonic body much like a disease, like a cancer, an infection, or a virus. And the global-hegemonic body reacts like any other body would.
    Is this model starting to sound familiar?
    I hope so, because that is what is happening right now. The system (i.e., global capitalism, not a bunch of guys in a room hatching a scheme to sell vaccines) is reacting to the last four years of populist revolt in a predictable manner.
    GloboCap is attacking the virus that has been attacking its hegemonic body. No, not the coronavirus. A much more destructive and multiplicitous virus … resistance to the hegemony of global capitalism and its post-ideological ideology.
    Brave New Normal

Back to the novel coronavirus and the forms of illness that it causes, which have unusual characteristics. My personal understanding is that we in medicine have not dealt with a virus that inactivates the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen before. It does the other things like viral pneumonia and gastroenteritis and heart failure, too. But deactivating hemoglobin is new and weird. The tests we use to run our ventilators lead us to certain usual adjustments, which do not work with this virus.
    Marjorie sends this article by Gilad Atzmon, with an important statement from a New York MD who explains that we need to understand this better, especially the policy-makers who are not dealing with the dying patients, and who misunderstand what is important in taking good care of them.
    Early treatment,before the hemoglobin is inactivated is critical in my view. This means early and widespread testing, coupled with early treatment as outpatients for those people who progress from mild to moderate illness, before it gets severe.
    ​ ​What Dr. Kyle-Sidell suggests is a paradigm change in the perception of the current endemic. Kyle-Sidell is not alone, the few doctors who allow themselves to discuss the situation in a critical manner admit that medical science is perplexed by the virus.
    ​ ​One would assume that if the virus at the centre of the current epidemic was an unsavoury present from ‘mother nature’ we would be able to trace its evolution. We likely would have seen the gradual appearance of some of the new symptoms that have caught our medical establishment unprepared. It doesn’t seem this happened. In the view of many medical practitioners the new disease is in a category of its own. It is a novelty.
    https://www.unz.com/gatzmon/a-viral-pandemic-or-a-crime-scene/

The Use and Abuse of Modern Monetary Theory, Michael Hudson et. al
    ​ ​After being attacked by monetarists and others for many decades, MMT and the idea that running government budget deficit is stabilizing instead of destabilizing are suddenly gaining applause from the parts of the political spectrum that long opposed MMT: the banking and financial sector, especially the Republicans. But what is applauded is in many ways something quite different than the leading MMT advocates have long supported.
    ​ ​Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) was developed to explain the logic of running government budget deficits to increase demand in the economy’s consumption and capital investment sectors so as to maintain full employment. But the enormous U.S. federal budget deficits from the Obama bank bailout after the 2008 crash through the Trump tax cuts and Coronavirus financial bailout have not pumped money into the economy to finance new direct investment, employment, rising wages and living standards. Instead, government money creation and Quantitative Easing have been directed to the finance, insurance and real estate (FIRE) sectors. The result is a travesty of MMT, not its original aim.
    ​ ​By subsidizing the financial sector and its debt overhead, this policy is deflationary instead of supporting the “real” economy. The effect has been to empower the banking sector, whose product is credit and debt creation that has taken an unproductive and indeed extractive form.

The Use and Abuse of MMT

(Jenny is pictured with zucchini, beans and onions at Yoakum, Texas garden)​

boscohorowitz
    Participant

face mask demo

k

You can narrow up the side parts by rolling them tight. You can trim the face area somewhat for comfort.

Tomorrow, I should have some kind of ring-shaped, uh, ring, to insert in the snuffleupagus* part just below the heel. This keeps the snuffleaerator open for maximum air flow/even filtration. Noticeable difference in cooling effect with the snuffler held wide that way. Otherwise, it tends to contract on inhales, reducing the airflow/cooling effect.

This uses a very heaving hiking type sock. Newer socks are often made of micromagic materials with high thread counts(good filtration), low mass/density (less heat containment via insulation).

For kids, the right sock/design, with the aid of fun faux facial features, should help in the kids wearing them and not always poking their hands inside, which greatly reduces the anti-contagion benefit.

Be the first kid on your block to wear a dino mask!

*Latin for trunk

boscohorowitz
    Participant

PLus, you can smuggle stuff! Shoplift! Carry your keys! Incubate marsupial hatchlings

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Thanx, John Day. I got off my ass and ordered some just now (xinc citrate)

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Regarding cost/benefit analyses: not to steal Doc D’s thunder but these will be done almost always by the CIC or minions thereof, and will therefore mostly skew to the same inane blind corrupt incompetent result of too little too late for we common folk and too much too soon for the top tier people. I think we can all agree on that?

The only thing, imo, that the powers that be can do even tolerably well is too much or too little.

I think Ilargi has the charming quality of wanting to give Euromerican culture every chance to hear him beg/demand that it does the one thing it is even slightly able to do: heavy-handed top-down do-this-or-else enforced mandates.

Me, I think that boat done sailed but I can’t vouch that it won’t turn about and finally try to do something other than placate polls and shmooze* via media. There is some slight hope the gubmints will wake up in time to do something worth the trouble they’ll put us through either way (imo).
    *gratuitous silent ‘e’

Me, my predictive view for the USA is alighting steadfastly on a sticky blossom called balkanization along regional affinities and fundamental economics (i.e., natural resources and established infrastructure). How much civil disturbance this foments is a point spread bet at this point. How soon is another.

The ‘shrinking trust horizon’ central to dear Nicole’s view on these matters is drawing up tighter than a redneck’s ass cold-nosed by a Great Dane.

Too Many People

zerosum
    Participant

The Use and Abuse of Modern Monetary Theory,
    By Michael Hudson, Friday, April 10, 2020

The unwritten chapter is that MMT has been abused to make a JUBILEE FOR THE ELITES.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“My personal understanding is that we in medicine have not dealt with a virus that inactivates the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen before.”

I eat really well, many small meals throughout the day, immunity-building vitamins, an awful lot of red meat, and iron every day, cuz if this thing catches me anemic I’m asking for trouble. Those who also have anemic issues might benefit from looking up optimal iron absorption nutrient strategies. A lot of things can inhibit iron absorption. Like caffeine, for starters. (ouch)

Busy Brain

Are the newborns removed from their “tested positive” mother’s care (assuming she is not critically ill)?
    From the American Academy of Pediatrics (2 April 2020):
    “While difficult, temporary separation minimizes the risk of postnatal infant infection from maternal respiratory secretions. If possible, admit the infant to an area separate from unaffected infants, and wear gowns, gloves, eye protection goggles and standard procedural masks for newborn care.

If the center cannot place the infant in a separate area — or the mother chooses rooming-in despite recommendations — ensure the infant is at least 6 feet from the mother. A curtain or an isolette can help facilitate separation.”
    Grrrrrrr. A cohort coming of bitter children, coupled with a spike of those with OCD…

Haha, on the Guaido bit. Dan Cohen was obviously using the Julian calendar.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Daed children aren’t bitter, with or without OCD. Newborns typically have very weak immune systems.

The mother’s milk of a woman battling the virus, usually one of the most important initial parts of developing and strengthening infant immune systems, is an issue I wouldn’t mind hearing more about.

“Breastfeeding: Because studies to date have not detected the virus in breast milk, mothers may express breast milk after appropriate breast and hand hygiene. Caregivers who are not infected may feed the breast milk to the infant. Mothers who request direct breastfeeding should comply with strict preventive precautions that include use of a mask and meticulous breast and hand hygiene.”

AAP

anticlimactic
    Participant

IS THERE AN AGENDA?

The West has chosen to do minimal testing. For the most part it seems that testing is only on people who obviously have the virus and have developed severe symptoms, just a kind of confirmation.

The effect is to make the death rate of the disease seem higher, Is this deliberate?

1.6 million people contacted the UK’s NHS hotline and said that they feel they have the virus. This changes the situation dramatically. While some of those registering with the NHS are wrong, there would also be a lot of asymtomatic carriers.

It would mean that only about 3% of those with the virus developed serious symptoms. [Do any other countries have similar hotlines, and what kind of figures are they getting]

The average age of death in Italy is still 78, not 50 or 40.

After reading about the apparently miracle cure using hydroxychloroquine with zinc sulphate when I hear about new deaths it feels like murder. It should be easy for medical staff to get the two components and it would be risk free to try them on patients rather than let them suffocate to death!

Nothing to lose. It works or it doesn’t!

If the deaths can be stopped or reduced to near zero then the panic goes away.

Dr. D
    Participant

Michigan is in revolt over the Governor’s draconian rules such as not allowing rural people to visit their own backwoods cabins. Good example of Federalism and the differing needs of Upper Michigan vs. Detroit.

Should they have the same rules? A: Who cares? They’re rural people. Why think of them at all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_of_Michigan

19 ppl/sq.mi. Definitely a quarantine risk. Especially if they get even further away from each other.

Karfar

Arttua
    Participant

From my wife’s blog: A Pandemic Journal
    “I chose this life because I have never had much confidence in a precarious, bloated economy of global supply chains, credit default swaps, technological dependency, two-thousand-cow dairies, and over-specialization. Instead, it is the rhythms of a rural life –collecting sap in buckets, cutting wood for the stove, caring for animals – that are more reliable. When everything else is failing, these do not fail us, cannot fail us.”

Glennda
    Participant

Dr. D – thank you for writing a short readable post. Hats off to listening to preferences.

What I noticed in the news stand photo 1940 was all the movie magazines. Never see those any more. Guess our magazines are blogs now.

Thanks, John Day for your good advice about vitamins etc. I’m going to share your blog with my daughter, the shopper in my world, and a research lab manager. She really knows how to suit me up for out visit to get gardening starts and seeds. Lots of reminders not to touch the mask after taking off the gloves, but only touching the attaching elastic to remove it and bag it for later use.

After all these hours working on the Taleb piece i just posted, do I yet know what the emotive position is I supposedly am attached to? Think not. SumacCarol tried, but said:

you do not consider that locking down the economy for extended periods of time, with all of the economic hardship and resulting social ills, is the right thing to do

..and I think she meant to say the opposite.

John, thanks, but not everyone can order things and expect them in a day or so. I have some chloroquine, ordered back in Feb, and got the only zinc available here, something called zinc methionine, mixed with copper, and I thought I’d forget about the azithromycin, because it would take weeks to get here. More people must have such problems. For many Europeans to get chloroquines, they would need a doctor’s prescription, and most doctors would refuse that. Because they know better,

And Bosco, I don’t have socks long enough anymore for those Billy the Kid masks. Try not to wear any at any time, and if I do, they’re the minimalist kind. Did order masks, but they have to come from, I guess, Wuhan.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

WIsh I lived a rural life. Fate disagreed.

“Should they have the same rules? A: Who cares? They’re rural people. Why think of them at all?”

I could give many reasons to care for them but I’m sure the question was rhetorical, intended to emcourage discord and divisiveness.

I wear masks for two main reasons: the no-touch-face training they reinforce, and the message it conveys to the public: it’s ok to take this virus seriously, and best taken seriously by individual action rather than blather-me-down instructions from the evening news.

Also, I have a 3-year old niece whose immune system is weak. She has been very ill several times needing hospitalizations for this virus, that bug, etc. So I’m on a campaign to make them cool for her. I have been cell-cam filming little puppet show routines I send toher that include masks amid silly fun.

I have no issue with the length of Doc. D’s posts… but then, I am no olne to judge in that regard.

But there’s no denying they’re a babe magnet.

Most of those 19 people/square mile shop in stores and similar close-quarted contagion vector nodes. They also generally have lesser m edical facilities that I presume can be overloaded more easily than other places like, for example, Portland, which is what’s called a ‘medical hub’.

Not that MIchanonians don’t have ample reason to revolt

boscohorowitz
    Participant

” masks amid silly fun.

I have no issue with the length of Doc. D’s posts… but then, I am no olne to judge in that regard.

But there’s no denying they’re a babe magnet.”

SHoulda taken my nap first. I meant that sock masks are babe magnets, not the length of one’s posts. Altho you know what they say about the size of a man’s, uh, post… or something.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.