Debt Rattle March 13 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 13 2018

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mayfair Building, Times Square NYC 1954   • Sea Change Is Underway in Money Markets for Banks, Investors (BBG) • The Real Reasons Trump Blocked B
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 13 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Mentally ill, cannabis.

Curious comment; care to expand on that a bit? I’d be interested…

SImply the two topics Jim was writing about, VA.

zerosum
    Participant

Does anyone buy steel that they don’t need?
    Does anyone buy steel that they cannot afford?
    Does anyone make steel at a loss?

Chris M
    Participant

And stay away from the VA, VA.

Word on the street is that’s a sh**hole too.

anticlimactic
    Participant

Skripal poisoning

When you have exotic assassinations then you need to be suspicious.

[1] Russian nerve agent used
    [2] Ex Russian spy so suggests Russia
    [3] QED!

As Russia pointed out, stocks of the nerve agent could still exist in ex-Soviet countries such as the Ukraine, and the UK security forces had the recipe so could make their own batch.

When you want to kill someone you usually want to cover your tracks, not use an ‘It was me!’ method! It’s like a mugger having their address printed on their t-shirt!

Litvinenko :

The story is that polonium was transported unshielded on a public plane in an easily traceable way rather than shielded via a diplomatic pouch. In fact ‘evidence’ could have been added at any point. Also why polonium rather than a less detectable method. It is almost as if someone wanted the most newsworthy story.

In both cases you have to assume the Russian government is totally incompetant using bizarre methods which points the finger at them! Russia does not strike me as being a ‘Keystone cops’ kind of organisation.

The whole storyline is unbelievably ludicrous, except for the Western media of course, which has the credulity of a 6 year old.

Dr. D
    Participant

I mean yes, yes, and yes?

We buy steel for a military we don’t need to decommission later. Commodities are widely stockpiled, and I think China just filled every available lot with copper stores they don’t need.

We can’t afford anything we buy, as measured by our personal and government debt. So little is bought from cash and profits, it’s considered bizarre non-economics. When everyone’s in debt, what do you mean by “afford?” Do we need more tanks and cars? No.

All nations on earth are subsidizing all their industries in some level of corporate and state merger. Boeing and Airbus. Lockheed and Halliburton. Sachs and RBS. GM and Port Talbot and ArcelorMittal. All get billions and billions (as Carl Sagan would say) from Joe’s Towing to bail out Carnegie and Morgan.

But to get this irrational mischief you need that there “flexible” money supply. You know one flexible enough to sneak into the nooks and crannies of the pockets of my friends. Good thing we don’t have one of those, amirite?

anticlimactic
    Participant

Krill and overfishing

I have never understood why overfishing has become such a problem.

Fish lay thousands of eggs but most of these are eaten by predators. Then the fry join the plankton and again suffer further predation.

It would seem to be simple for the fish to be taken from the wild and their eggs and fry protected until they pass the point when 99% of predation has been avoided when they can be released back into the sea.

I had thoughts of a converted oil tanker where they could mate naturally, or milk them of eggs and milt and mix them in a large bucket!

We already do this with other fish, like salmon. It is not rocket science!

I can go to my local fish and chip shop and buy cod roe, or go the local supermarket and buy taramasalata. Cod eggs seem plentiful so why not turn them into cod?

We already do this with other fish, like salmon. It is not rocket science!

I can go to my local fish and chip shop and buy cod roe, or go the local supermarket and buy taramasalata. Cod eggs seem plentiful so why not turn them into cod?

Are you suggesting nature is only wasteful, and we can do much better? The problems with farmed fish, e.g. salmon, suggest the opposite. As does our understanding of the living world, I would say, but that’s just me.

But it wouldn’t surprise me to see Elon Musk take a zillion with him to Mars. Where we won’t repeat the same mistakes that have lead us to where we are on earth today, apparently (or else we wouldn’t have to go to Mars).

We need to change the way we deal with nature, not try and change nature itself just so we can keep on doing what we do.

Krill, cod, whales, us, all part of a larger system. Take out a part of the system and it will start falling to bits, or change in ways we can’t predict.

We are very poor at systems thinking.

Re: UK response to the poisoning issue, Tyler says:

Russia has cranked up their response to ’11’ on the Spinal Tap amplifier of global armageddon.

We are sliding down ever further and faster into a situation where actual proof of any accusation becomes some kind of afterthought.

As for Trump (also a victim of the above), turning to Mike Pompeo and Gina ‘Torture’ Haspel and soon apparently John Bolton, poses a much bigger threat to his presidency than Mueller ever could.

zerosum
    Participant

@ Dr. D
    “… “flexible” money supply. …”

Hummm!
    Saudi Arabian seems to be the biggest fool.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Re: Krill fishing

That Guardian article doesn’t mention the use of krill for fish farming aka aquaculture. “Most krill is used as aquaculture feed and fish bait; other uses include livestock or pet foods. Only a small percentage is prepared for human consumption.” [Wikipedia]

One pound of farmed fish (salmon, etc.) typically requires multiple pounds of krill and/or other wild-caught species to make the feed. Protein from soybeans, for example, can also be used, as done with beef, which results in a low-PROPI (protein returned on protein invested).

sumac.carol
    Participant

Amen on the krill problem. We can’t engineer a solution without creating new problems. That is how we inevitably get into trouble unfortunately.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Salmon farming in the NW (U.S.) has been an unmitigated failure, not to mention the damage to the native species still left. Interbreeding will destroy the native fish entirely.
    The U.S. government breeding program from the early 70’s was the beginning of the end; my skipper pointed out the cross bred salmon we caught; going to spawn after only three years and barely legal size.
    Frankly, I’m surprised there are any wild fish (salmon) left.

Dr. D
    Participant

When they know what’s wrong and keep doing it anyway, is it an accident or a plan?

V. Arnold
    Participant

Dr. D
    A plan of course.
    But it’s the blatent ignorance I can’t countenance.
    It’s just one of so many egregious assaults on the nature that is Giaia; our host and benefactor.
    We offer no respect in return…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.