Debt Rattle May 14 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 14 2015

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans Street Scene, Vicksburg, Mississippi 1936 • The US Economy Is Signalling An Iceberg And We’re Out Of Lifeboats (Guardian) • Central Banks
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 14 2015]

NooBoob
    Participant

Birds and Bees
    Three ingested neo-nic infused seeds will kill one bird. Neo-nics are water soluble.
    Neo-nics kill bees. Mono-cultures cause bee malnutrition.
    We have to grow more food over the next 50 years than we grew in all of the last 2,000 years. We need 6 million hectares of new farmland every year for the next 30 years to do it. We are actually losing 12 million hectares of farmland every year due to soil degradation, depletion and outright loss. At these rates, humanity only has 60 years of agriculture left. Tough news, right? It gets worse. We have to grow all this food while in just 10 years 66% of humanity will be short of water. Right now, 1 billion people walk a mile every day for water. In 10 years, 2 billion people will be severely short of water. We have already passed peak growth rates in 2006 for wheat, corn, soy, wood and fish. In just 10 years, most of humanity will be fighting for just food and water. In twenty years, vital minerals and energy will be in short supply. In thirty years, runaway mass extinction become unstoppable and irreversible. Get your Collapse Data Cheat Sheet here:

Collapse Data Cheat Sheet from collapse

John Day
    Participant

Pope Francis giving this talk to Congress in late September is likely to be during another market crash, and a more useful message than Hank Paulson gave.
    Time to turn over a new leaf, share the austerity, and keep one’s head…

Raleigh
    Participant

NooBoob – we push everything to the absolute limit, don’t we? And then it’s always “whoops, we didn’t realize this would happen.” Like building nuclear reactors on known fault lines. Whoops! Seeing honey bees used to be a common, everyday occurrence. Now when I see one, I’m surprised by its presence. Of course, there are people in the “know,” but they’d rather get rich and enjoy their lives than step up (and this includes scientists too) and speak the truth.

Re trade deals, Karl Denninger has “Bend Over, America”:

“Washington (AFP) – US senators reached a deal Wednesday that would help grant President Barack Obama authority to quickly complete a huge Pacific trade accord, one day after Democrats blocked the measure.

Republican leaders and Democrats agreed to vote beginning Thursday on a package of trade-related measures, including two bills addressing issues like trade enforcement that are Democratic priorities.”

Karl said, “Oh, you didn’t think The Senate was actually going to care about Americans and jobs, right?”

Everybody should be on the phone to their Congressmen to make sure this does not go through. These guys have gone rogue.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Ambrose,,,”Unless the normal mechanisms of monetary policy have broken down altogether – which is possible, but would you bet your pension on it?”

Well,,,would you?

Or would you believe it’s somehow different this time?

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

NooBoob, the situation is challenging, but the numbers they are using to describe it are badly skewed. This may account in some measure for the people in the know not being alarmed yet.

Easy 1st: Water is not consumed. It is part of the hydrological cycle. They most count the “water used” by wheat, cows, etc as if it is oil, burned, then destroyed forever more. Not so. Water is used all the way down from the top of the mountain to the sea, passing through life from bugs to birds to cows, trees, rivers, streams, and Coke machines all the way. The same water is “used” once, 10, 100, 1,000 times before refreshing again. It is possible to use water more and less efficiently, but you simply cannot calculate its “use” the way you would oil, copper, or even firewood. So watch the numbers.

Continuing, it’s trivially simple to save water. Western methods easily waste 5, 10, 20x the water they have to, which makes for extremely easy, economical gains, should anyone wish to act. It’s reassuring to know we’re eating so high on the hog that we could cut our diet 90% and still eat well. So that’s a good thing. California, the example du jour, for 2 years, if not decades, couldn’t be bothered to limit lawns, golf courses, Nestle water bottle plants, or ditch irrigation. …They’re happy to cut off your shower, however. Maybe they should listen to John Wayne when he said “Life is hard. But it’s even harder if you’re stupid.”

Food challenges generally: yes, problem. However, Africa for instance has been intentionally put in disarray, wildly curtailing their vast production, which could still be far higher if they ever tried using efficient means. So what Africa? It’s a continent so large that the US, China, Western Europe and India would fit inside it. https://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2010/11/cartography And they haven’t even started trying to be productive yet? Sounds like if we cared we might have a win there. Maybe that’s why there’s a resource war going on in East Africa over land enough to feed all of China?

The warming everyone is concerned about is opening up vast areas to the temperate zone as the land mass is skewed to the north, far more is opened in Russia and Canada than is lost in narrower distance from South Carolina to Death Valley. It’s up to us to use it, but it’s there to use. If that doesn’t happen, then I guess we’ll continue using the farmland everyone feared would end, not ending.

Most farming remains desperately inefficient, as they have yet to apply drip irrigation and are using fossil fuels instead of far more productive-per-acre human/animal intensive processes. This would also employ millions who need to be employed at a task robots would struggle on. Yields can be as much as 8x higher with human attention. We have not yet applied Permaculture methods, either for stacking no-till food forests, or in greening the desert, both of which take a mere 10-20 years to accomplish. Reclaiming the desert alone would add about as much land as you wish, and is provably possible by known, inexpensive means. No one really cares. You could probably green dozens of square miles yourself with a bag and a shovel if you tried.

Also, no one has made the slightest use of the highly valuable land we’ve opened with near-perfect transportation, electric, water, and drainage, parceled into neat human-intensive packages, located on top of rich, populated markets. I speak of the suburbs in the U.S. especially, but throughout the Western world. Since near 0% of this land is in production, I’m pretty sure that’s an easy win for a few hundred thousand –or million– acres of prime land.

And we’re not talking yet about limiting the 50% of food waste in our present restaurant/grocery “Grade-A only” model. Add a few million that could be fed off that.

Truth be told, we haven’t even started, so don’t call the end so soon. At this point, the limits have nothing to do with science–whatsoever–or the limits of the world or ecosystem, and everything to do with not wanting to try anything different that might work. Like dumping milk and food in the Depression, scarcity is profitable. Abundance is not. And golly, whyever would the system want to convince you that there was nothing to be done, we were already at limits, so we need to start a war and kill a few hundred million of us? I mean, seeing as it isn’t true. Why would they do that, since they know what I know?

Don’t believe the hype. Start growing some things, press to your local limits, then tell me if food is scarce or not. No matter where on earth you are, you’ll be astonished at how much abundance human attention creates. Act, then get back to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone,My name ares Joyce Levinius a citizen of USA,I want to testify of the good Loan Lender who showed light to me after been scammed by 2 different Internet international lenders, they all promised to give me a loan after making me pay a lot of fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total sum of 3,000usd. One day as i was browsing through the internet looking frustrated when i came across a testimony of a man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called Aliko Dangote Loan Company,where he finally got his loan,So i decided to contact the same loan company and then i told them my story on how i have been scammed by 2 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain.I explained to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because am in the right company i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. i filled the loan application form that was given to me by this great company and proceeded with all that was requested of me and I was given a loan amount of $100,000.Dollars by this great Company (Aliko Dangote Loan Company} managed by Mr Aliko Dangote and here i am today happy because Aliko Dangote Loan Company has given me a loan so i made a vow to myself that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan.If you are out there,My dear beloved brothers/sisters looking for real loan company,I will advice you to kindly and quickly contact Aliko Dangote Loan Company now for your loan via email:[email protected],and he is a God fearing loan lender,And i know that they will never let you down….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.