Debt Rattle November 27 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 27 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Otto Dix Ice drift 1940 • Putin ‘Seriously Concerned’ After Ukraine Votes To Impose Martial Law (G.) • The Latest Ukronazi Provocation In The Kerch St
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 27 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

What ails the Automatic Earth: “Small blogs cannot exist without Facebook..”.

Is that true Ilargi? Small blogs cannot exist without facebook?
    Gods be good, I hope that’s not true…
    If true we’re all f**ked…
    I refuse to do social media for all the obvious, and not so obvious, reasons…

Dr. D
    Participant

I defer to Raul but, less true than ever. Facebook is dying fast, and replacements (ie competition) are coming on. Young people know Facebook is now for grandpas. So uncool. Their adjustments have made Facebook experience stink, and they’ve outlawed all the interesting content. So if there’s a way to screw themselves, FB has an exec with unlimited budget pushing it. Oddly, that’s the cycle of tech: you think companies like RealPlayer dominate the market and can’t disappear, until, like Gateway and Compaq, they very suddenly do.

Gab is out there, and other alternatives to give notifications. Luckily, TAE is so old they had their own site. After Gab and Steemit, the internet will go decentralized, ledgered, and distributed, like BitTorrent or others. This is thanks to Facebook, YouTube, Europe, and their narrowminded, intolerant douchebaggery. Just to use the internet, Europeans will almost certainly be driven into VPNs and distributed ledgers that are effectively unstoppable outside of shutting down the internet North Korean style. …Not that they wouldn’t be happy to do that. But the PEOPLE won’t.

Facebook is probably over the event horizon, with others like Twitter right behind them.

Dr. D.: Methinks the death of Facebook is greatly exaggerated. First and foremost because it’s part of US (and UK, EU) intelligence, second because the young people who flock away from it don’t have much to do with what makes Facebook powerful, i.e. ads, directed at more affluent folk. Third because Facebook will continue to outright buy up any alternative that poses a threat. Comparisons with earlier platforms such as MySpace fail because they never reached the critical mass that Facebook has. Zuckerberg may be forced out, or down, but then I see someone like Eric Schmidt at Google taking over, with daily briefings at Langley etc.

Dr. D
    Participant

• Putin ‘Seriously Concerned’ After Ukraine Votes To Impose Martial Law (G.)

So let me get this straight: If Russia misbehaves, Poroshenko punishes the Ukranian people? And this will win elections? Well, “It’s not the people who vote that count, it’s the people who count the votes.” -Comrade Stalin. And in martial law, I’ll bet he has the vote-counters ready. It’s what you’d expect from the world’s ONLY, literal Nazi regime, and from an illegitimate regime that itself got into power with a literal neo-Nazi-backed military coup firing literal guns. …But as they’re NATO backed allies, I repeat myself.

“That loss isn’t the worst bitcoin has suffered,” So who would buy it? The same people who bought it the last two times it fell 90%. You know, before it went from $2 to $20,000. Other markets do this too, but not being virtual, computer markets, they rise 50 years then fall 90% over 5 years, like the Dow has. However, in BTC it takes 5 years, and recovers on a proportional fractal. By no means take my word for it though: not trading advice.

Let’s look at it this way, though: Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Overstock, the State of Ohio have all invested millions of man hours creating infrastructure, developing automatic crypto-contracts, whole development suites, tokenized products that actually do and deliver things. Now are all of those things going to disappear from planet earth forever, never to be used again, or not? Because if those products, those possibilities aren’t going to disappear forever, people will need the underlying token/coin. Make your judgment, place your bets. Like the Internet in 1994, will it exist, or will it entirely cease to exist?

“The growth of the Internet will slow drastically, as the flaw in ‘Metcalfe’s law’-which states that the number of potential connections in a network is proportional to the square of the number of participants-becomes apparent: most people have nothing to say to each other! By 2005 or so, it will become clear that the Internet’s impact on the economy has been no greater than the fax machine’s.” –Paul Krugman, 1998

Being a media-supported expert, and Nobel prize winner, Krugman is nothing if not reliable: he is always 100% wrong.

Human Rights Watch Asks Argentina To Probe MbS Over Yemen, Khashoggi (R.)
    The DS is trying to whip Argentina into a fit of idiotic bravery and arrest MbS. That may not stick, but it will knock out migrating (if rogue) candidate MbS in favor of his CIA/MI6/Mossad-backed brother al-Waleed, or some likeness. So okay guys, go for it, no love lost here. Just know law, morality, murder, have nothing to do with it since you’ve never cared in your life, or the 100 years of your organizations, and have killed more journalists in Syria alone than MbS could dream of. You just want your murdering friends in, like al-Waleed and the Mossad guys who sold dissident-killing software to S.A., and your murdering enemies out, like MbS. …I doubt they’ll have the substance to try arresting a head of state for what is not even a war crime, since it was committed on a 100% Saudi citizen on 100% Saudi soil, and the world has literally no jurisdiction whatsoever, but these are desperate times. Go ahead.

“Fully decarbonizing by 2050 the world…could require investing some 0.5 percent of global GDP a year using mostly existing technology.” Literally #StarkRavingNonsense. Where the…? What the…? How the…?…do they get away with this rot? So you’re literally saying we can get off fossil fuels altogether by 2050, at all, which is so astoundingly false I can’t believe it issued from a human mouth, much less was published in earnest.

BUT WAIT! There’s so much more! Not only can we do this, but we can do it for essentially no cost! That is, converting the whole planet to a technology Tesla has proven isn’t economical and doesn’t exist, and wind/solar at 1.2:1-odd energy gain away from oil that even now is 10:1 energy gain, won’t cost anything at all! We can close all the oil companies, the refineries, every gas station, half the car manufacturers, transform the auto parts chain, convert every house off oil and gas, close the 60% of fossil power plants that supply electric, triple the electric grid to deliver the new power, and it costs nothing! Magical thinking at its finest! Or should I say lawyerist thinking, where they file a paper, wave a wand and say “Go peasants, make it so! I don’t care how and don’t give me any guff!”

So. Crazy. We can convert to renewables and off fossil fuels, and probably should, but you’re talking about dismantling the entire infrastructure, the financial side, in fact, the very society as when and if you work becomes based on when the wind blows, have the lights not shine at night, have 1/10th the number of cars or road-miles, etc. and turn into a space-age eco society. I’m actually in favor of that. However, it’s going to cost everybody everything as everything that’s ever been thought or done in the last 100 years transforms, there will be trillion-dollar losers and only billion dollar winners as we consume less, and it will cost in tens of trillions to convert. That’s not .5 GDP and it’s not in 30 years.

But go for it. I’ll support it. I think like food, we waste 50-75% of our present energy on stupid self-defeating stuff like driving 30 miles to soccer and injecting plastics into fish.

V. Arnold,

I’m afraid that is exactly what we face. Between getting thrown off Facebook and the power of adblockers there’s very little left. Do read Taibbi’s whole article, it explains it. That guys was paying $2-6,000 a month for Facebook ads, we don’t, that’s way more than we even make to begin with.

It’s not about you being on Facebook, but about it being the way people find sites and writers.

So I need to think of an alternative, and fast. There’s Patreon, but that’s based on hiding stuff behind paywalls, and I don’t like that when others do it, though I understand why, because you end up with less and less information. Either you pay through the nose for full info, or if you can’t afford it (most people can’t), you’re increasingly limited to very limited views of one or two publications.

Which is why I do Debt Rattles. Even then, the new EU copyright rules may soon make them impossible in their present format.

Maybe Patreon not to keep everything accessible? Not an easy one.

Dr. D
    Participant

Galea

Why not?

“Why Not” is not the clearest question I’ve ever seen, Dr D. But it did lead me to a mistake I made: instead of “Maybe Patreon not to keep everything accessible?”, I wanted to say “Maybe Patreon to keep everything accessible?”

zerosum
    Participant

Here is a game changer.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-27/manafort-met-secret-julian-assange-ecuadorian-embassy-report

WikiLeaks Categorically Denies Assange-Manafort Meetings

Obvious nonsense, zero. Sort of what my article is about that I just put up:

Whenever you read anything at all about Trump, Russia/Putin and Assange in the major news outlets, chances that it is not objective or properly due diligence researched are far higher than that it is. You have to start out with the idea that what you’re about to read or watch is not true

And Luke Harding has been smearing Assange for the Guardian for a long time. But hey, Assange is gagged, so anyone can say anything, whether it’s Harding or Robert Mueller; he can’t defend himself.

zerosum
    Participant

I’m agreeing with you.

“The Guardian report cited “sources” saying Manafort saw Assange inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London “in 2013, 2015 and in spring 2016,” with the latter meeting reportedly taking place “around March 2016.” The Democratic emails were released months later.”

I’m not a detective. I’m being asked to be on a jury to evaluate the info presented.
    Here is a sample of sources that would help to convince me.

Phone call records
    Airline reservation records

Taxi records to and from airports
    Taxi records or car rental records
    Hotel reservation records

Restaurant records

Video records of all the above

Credit card records of all the above transactions.

“@WikiLeaks is willing to bet the Guardian a million dollars and its editor’s head that Manafort never met Assange,” the group tweeted.

Assange has made WikiLeaks his life’s work. He knows that if he’s ever caught in a lie, he’s done and so is his life’s work. Same of course for those stupid rape charges. People offering files MUST be able to trust him to keep their identities secret, and that means they must trust him with everything else as well. It’s either nothing, or it is all. The Guardian doesn’t like Julian, and feels free to smear him while he can’t defend himself. There are many other voices who claim they don’t like him, for reasons they don’t explain. But the principle stands: WikiLeaks is based on ultimate trust.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Ilargi
    I’d support you on Patreon if that will save your blog.
    Frankly, yours is the best I’ve found and basically the only one I frequent every day.
    My sister is the only westerner I’m in contact with via skype; it’s why I call our home the Hermitage.
    Your Matrix piece is spot on, but I don’t understand the commenters who implore you to identify who and what the matrix is.
    Chuang Tzu says fish are born into water;
    Man is born into the Tao.
    We’ve forgotten that; find that and everything will be…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.