Debt Rattle October 26 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle October 26 2022

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Oroboros
    Participant

Ritual Humiliation

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

There is no depression in NZ. Well, not if you are a banker:

‘ANZ New Zealand, the country’s biggest bank, has seen its annual profit top $2 billion for the first time with income rising 10% and expenses up just 2%.

ANZ NZ’s annual profit was also bolstered by a $235 million contribution from economic hedges used to manage interest rate and foreign exchange rate risk, up from just $12 million the previous year.

ANZ NZ’s September year net profit after tax rose $380 million, or 20%, to $2.299 billion from $1.919 billion in its September 2021 year., The bank’s previous record annual profit was $1.986 billion in the September 2018 year.’

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

40 years on, little has changed (other than everything being made worse by a succession of bankers’ governments; NZ is, after all, a business. And most of the people are still asleep ‘sheep’.).

Veracious Poet
    Participant

Filed under “Ignore the mad scientists & health-care privateers to your own peril”:

Fauci’s NIAID lab in Maryland moves to create severe monkeypox strain

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, directed by Dr. Anthony Fauci, is conducting research involving the creation of a more severe strain of monkeypox in an effort to help develop better vaccines for humans, the organization said.

https://thepostmillennial.com/faucis-niaid-lab-maryland-moves-to-create-severe-monkeypox-strain

aspnaz
    Participant

oldandtired said

Shark

Still amazed that people on TAE are posting links to googleusercontent.com. I thought we all knew that supporting the borg was not in our own interests, but maybe laziness is the overriding consideration.

ezlxa1949
    Participant

@willem
    “Regarding the “end of energy”, a useful post was put up by a TAE community member a few weeks ago. (Whoever you are, please forgive me for failing to credit you properly.)”

That was me but please, give me no credit; rather, give it all to Al Bartlett. I suggest downloading Prof Bartlett’s article from The Physics Teacher, and using Equation 5 to assess depletion rates yourself. The maths is not hard and there is a good worked example in the article.

It’s common for economists and politicians to trumpet the discovery of some new resource, and to annouce that it will last for X number of years. True, but they usually calculate the time to depletion on a steady rate of extraction based on current rates of usage. When the time is re-calculated based on the desirable, exponentially-increasing rateh of extraction, the picture changes completely.

I like Bartlett’s observation that “some prominent people reject the notion of limits.” They have to, they must, or else their system, their world, indeed their entire raison d’être, fails. For them, to acknowledge the existence of limits is highly likely to provoke a severe and possibly suicide-inducing existential crisis.

If you want to gain a yet better feel for limits, I suggest you watch
    Riding Light – Traversing the Solar System at the speed of light.

While breaking many of the laws of physics, this video nonetheless succeeds in giving us a splendid idea of how HUGE the Solar System is in comparison to planet Earth, how achingly and HOPELESSLY SLOW light is, and how TINY Earth’s storehouse of resources is when tasked with getting us off-planet and “conquering” space. “Conquering?” What a joke.

No wonder the transhumanists want to achieve immortality: without it our species will have died out or evolved into who know what eons prior to getting anywhere.

And what will Homo hubris DO with its “conquest” of the Solar System or the Galaxy?

oxymoron
    Participant
    Redneck
    Participant

Dr. D
    “If Redneck’s entertainment is to get their goat, it’s working like a charm. And all he has to say is, Russia isn’t perfect. However, what’s your prediction for what will happen if Escobar and Lira are all wrong?”

I am not a troll in the real meaning of the word. If my goal was to send every one here into hysterics I would just post memes and vids , why spend so much time at the keyboard? I do admit to having a few giggles when folk are severely triggered but that is not my intention.
    I am old and experiencing cognitive decline , it gets harder and harder to do this especially with this clunky user-unfriendly format , maybe time for an upgrade Ilargi? I could trigger many crew here without spending so much of my precious time typing with two fingers .
    I may as well take this moment to apologise to those who I have not replied to here , I am pressed for time, I have already spent too much time here today , being a keyboard warrior is not my first priority.

The Ritter Duran crew have been wrong right from the start. Duran and co. ran with “this is not a war about territory ” for one example . If it is not a war about territory why would Russia have annexed not just the two Eastern most Oblasts but also the two south-east ones as well? Yes because they are supposedly saving ethnic Russian lives ,yes so the fact is this war is about territory , it is about expanding Russia’s control over their old Soviet areas , “making Russia great again”.
    What are my predictions? I don’t really have any , I don’t know what is going to happen and I don’t think Russia or the West knows either. I think this war is very dynamic like most wars are and adjustments are being made on the fly as one would expect.
    I think that Russia blew it in the very first weeks when they were there outside Kiev . Apparently Zelenzky left the country and I think the West were thinking that Kiev would fall politically and militarily and that Russia would blitzkrieg the entire country and take control.
    The fact is Ivan and the Chechens got hammered in the Kiev airport and surrounds , they did not get any military to change over to their side and had to leave, it was an intel failure and also they never had the military capability to take out Kiev and the other major cities any way because they were making the big move on the south east , Mariupol , at the same time.
    In retrospect they should have flattened all the major cities , turned all the infrastructure to rubble and just driven their tanks into the smoking ruins but they probably did not have the capabilities to do that either. Ukraine is a big country with lots of infrastructure , to take it all out without nukes is a big ask. I don’t think there is any military in the world that could do that without nukes. Anyway they have to conserve some ammo in case NATO becomes more active and involved , right?
    So what happens?
    The biggest change to the situation is the annexation of the four Oblasts. That has put Putin in a very difficult spot. It gives him the legal cover for full on war which is partly happening through the increased missile strikes but now he has no way back from taking the lost territory and the still yet unconquered territory. That HAS to be taken and held indefinitely as it is now mother Russia. He also craves for legal recognition of his moves. So he has to strike so hard and so long that the West decides to sign off on those annexations , I don’t see that ever happening under any circumstances , the signing off that is.
    His other option is to decapitate Zelensky and the military command and do what he failed to do in the beginning , set up another puppet gov like prior to the Maidan and have that gov. sign off on the loss of territory and all his other demands.
    Putin’s problem is that he wants to be the good guy and have all his moves recognised by the rest of the world , that can’t happen under the gov. takeover scenario and can’t happen anyway because the rest of the world will not recognise any of the new annexations .
    If for example India was to recognise Putin’s move as legal , what if Pakistan takes Kashmir? India has to acquiesce and say , ok , well done we will sign it over to you following the precedent set in Eastern Ukraine? Apply that to every country in the world , you can see that will open up a very big can of worms.
    I think only six countries , North Korea and Iran being two , have recognised the Crimea annexation and that was a clean and logical move requiring no body bags.

Putin is not Stalin , that is his problem. In order to paint Russia as the knight in shining armour he must not go feral and do a Stalin.
    So he has handicapped himself and the West will and has taken advantage of that.

The other question is can the West keep control of the Uky civilian and military powers or can the Uky elites at some point tell them to piss off , retake control and do a deal with Russia independently?
    If they can’t then at this point in time I think it is fair to say that the US will decide how and when the war ends.
    Meanwhile there is the old “Europe will collapse” story and that will mean NATO capitulation as the Europeans rise up and demand to have hot showers again , or the old , the West is collapsing meme.
    I have been watching and waiting for that since the eighties but it still rolls on and on , the fact is that there is always money for war. North Korea has been collapsed since the end of Korean War but today or tomorrow they are doing a new nuclear weapons test , LOL.
    Putin is heavily invested in this narrative , this is the larger conflict between Russia and the BRICS versus the collective West . This is what the the , “Putin has plenty of time scenario” is based on , he hope he lives long enough to see it!
    Supporters of that narrative seem to think that if there was a total implosion of the West which includes the US that the BRICS and the test of the world would just continue marching on into economic power and glory.
    Have they ever paused to consider the ramifications of the entire Western world and it’s satellites descending into the social and economic chaos like that which happened with Gorby’s pulling of the plug in the old Soviet?
    China for one would be devastated , who would be left to buy all their shit? A lot of the rest of Asia are their subcontractors. Almost half of all the world’s GDP would disappear in the whirr of red hot computer smoke. Half of all the money in the world , the trillions of US dollars that underpins the world’s economic system the bulk of the world’s liquidity would crater overnight. It may all be printed fiat debt but that money still fuels a massive amount of the world economy. The trillions printed by the FED is feeding the world’s economy. The globe’s supply lines would freeze completely . The price of oil and most commodities would crater , all the oil trading countries would be without a viable cash flow , think about it , the world’s economy is still a maze of global contracts and financial obligations , the results would be beyond any event the world has ever seen. A real collapse , Soviet style would crater the entire world’s economy for decades. To think that the collapse of the West is going to be a windfall for the rest of the world shows severe delusional thinking. No body is going to walkaway waving the victory flag , nobody!
    The best scenario for the BRICS is a long drawn out decades long decline without any huge explosions along the way giving them time to implement the replacement of the US dollar with whatever they are planning. Remember half of the currency in the world is US dollars , where is that all going to disappear to , what is going to replace it and how? All this talk of using their own currencies sounds fine but FOREX is a very complex business and if I was a country holding a shitload of Turkish or Indonesian or Brazilian currency I would not be happy about it , there will be some major adjustments to be made along the way, liquidity is vital , but maybe they can work it out. For that to happen they need the Wet’s decline to be long and slow that means the possibility of a long and slow war as well , decades long .

The future is unknown and that is without considering the possibility of a black swan event also.
    Russia has to take and hold the annexed regions , that is set in stone. So now it is resetting and rebuilding and next year it will try to do that. Will the West continue it’s support for Ukraine and will Russia’s people continue to support Putin ?
    Putin is old guard , he was a Cold War warrior for the KGB he knows how to hold power and he can suppress the people’s will easily , most of the work has already been done in that regard and the revision of Soviet history is well under way so it will become obvious to the people that the old Soviet ways were best , so Putin says we are putting them back into play , keep quiet or it is the Gulags for you.
    The West is already in control of their people too , there is no sign of any real change in the controlling elites power, the two party system is a one party system with a veneer of democracy applied , the majority still believe in it .

So game on , Russia must first win back the annexed land then hold it convincingly …for ever. It must then decide if it continues on to take what will be a completely destroyed Odessa too. How much blood and treasure will the Russians elites be willing to spend? Game theory or Putin’s ego will decide.

Is the Russian state the super advanced tech and military power that RT has been telling us it is? So far I am not convinced that the old Soviet culture of corruption and incompetence has been erased , watching the clips of Russian state TV I think the Russian people are asking the same question. A recent look at the Kursk disaster shows just how bad the post Soviet navy was and Putin is still surrounded by military commanders from that era. The majority of the war supporters also come from this demographic. As those who lived in the Soviet times go to their demise we will see a new and different Russia emerge , we are seeing a similar change happening in Iran now as the young stake their claim to the future.

The nuclear question is being bandied about but I don’t see any real danger there. I would be extremely doubtful if Putin would push the big button even if conventional forces were at the gates of the Kremlin because Russians have been invaded before and survived and these days armed occupation is not possible on the scale required , I think every one knows that. To push the big button is the move of a very psychotic regime , I can see the Israelis doing it in the spirit of Masada but not Putin.
    All of this is being game theorised by all sides , calculating gain and loss. The loss side is just too big for the big Nuclear button to be be pushed although a deployment of tactical nukes is not impossible but it must be done as a false flag as the perpetrator would be under severe international pressure and condemnation immediately . Most likely the first deployment of any tactical nuke would bring the world back to it’s senses and bring a halt to proceedings.
    So no predictions , it is a wait and see game , the only prediction is that the future is unpredictable.
    More rain , good , no bushfires this summer hopefully .
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/09/fifteen-countries-represent-three-quarters-total-gdp/

Redneck
    Participant

Spaniel also does commentary on the Russia/Uky war. This is his game theory channel . Modern military use these games to decide tactics .

Figmund Sreud
    Participant

“Russia is a Threat to the Rules-Based Order”, … compilation of warnings, plus some…

https://www.unz.com/aanglin/russia-is-a-threat-to-the-rules-based-order/

F.S.

Redneck
    Participant
    oldandtired
    Participant

@aspnaz

Still amazed that people on TAE are posting links to googleusercontent.com. I thought we all knew that supporting the borg was not in our own interests, but maybe laziness is the overriding consideration.

So RIM posted a video of a nurse shark or seven gill shark in an aquarium? On TWITTER.

I put up a gif of C. carcharius having a taste of a sea urchin diver. Real stuff. Guy making a living, almost was on the sharks menu. Making a living in the real world can be dangerous..

Had no idea I was supporting a borg. Had absolutely no idea I was being lazy. Sorry I triggered you. Hope your safe space was nearby.

My apologies.

Redneck
    Participant

Looks like the Russians know that the Kursk syndrome is still in play, lie obfuscate , rinse repeat.

Propaganda is coated in lipid nanoparticles, while truth is sunshine on bare skin.

Miles has a piece on Hopkins’ “gaslighting” post. Nuff said.

chooch
    Participant

Redneck,

You beat me to the latest Soloyvov rant. So I will to go with another.

Thanks for that, that’s a lot of moving parts to distill. At this point, I don’t think China is willing to double down with Russia. Chinese social media now refers to Russia as the “weak goose”.

In spite the Taiwan distraction, China’s Global Times newspaper issued the following statement regarding the recent 20th national congress.

“If one of the most important events in international relations in the past 50 years is the restoration and development of China-U.S. relations, which has benefited both countries and the world, then the most important thing in international relations for the next 50 years is that China and the U.S. must find the right way to get along with each other. The key for China and the U.S. to find the right way to get on with each other is mutual respect, peaceful coexistence and win-win cooperation proposed by General Secretary Xi Jinping. Common interests between China and the U.S. far outweigh differences, and a sound and stable China-U.S. relationship serves the common interests of the two peoples.”

Anyway, back to Ukraine/Russia.

There has been a partial withdrawal troops and such across the river from Kherson. Makes strategic sense. Ukraine would need to maintain a 5:1 troop ratio for maintain effective urban combat there. This prevents the level of redeployment that would have been possible with a full withdrawal.

They also moved out monuments and other historical stuff. In the event of flooding?

I came across some video a couple weeks ago. It was from the Kherson region and it looked like a single gravity bomb that had fell from above. Seemed a bit odd. Maybe at some point they are planning to carpet bomb the region. There has been a lot of chatter about that recently.

Since Putin mentioned satanism in his September speech, the talking heads on state tv have picked up on it. It’s now a holy war.

WES
    Participant

It is very hard to fight a war when you are stuck in Ukrainian/Russian mud! Ask the Germans!

I see there was a little dispute between Ukrainian Nazis sent in to discipline some Polish mercenaries who didn’t want to die. The Poles shot all of the Nazis dead. I am sure the Ukrainian Nazis came back with more Nazis to finish the job.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

NATO provocations increasing markedly!

oxymoron
    Participant

Interesting chat about the fed and central banks

Redneck
    Participant

chooch
    I am sure the Chinx will say all of the appropriate things to try and maintain their facade as a responsible global power.
    I agree they are not fully on board with Putin’s little adventure in Ukraine. Xi-bear has some rather big problems on his plate having bought the Wall st./FED playbook into China and blown the largest property bubble in world history. The printing presses have run hot for a couple of decades and trying to withdraw from that drug is difficult and dangerous even for such an exalted emperor as Xi.The last thing he needs or wants is for the cash and tech flow from the Golden Mountain to stop , it is definitely not in his interest to see the US and the EU laid waste economically.
    China is a merchantile phenomena which relies on endless trading of subsidised goods to overseas customers using an artificially weak currency.
    The problem of a billion poor weighs heavily over him because any closing of that glimmer of light for them down the economic tunnel is death for him and his cronies.
    I was in Jakarta when the Asian economic crisis hit and saw the mobs burn the government offices and Toyota and Mercedes dealerships down , Suharto was gone in about two weeks. As soon as the poor realised that their dreams of economic progress were in danger , that they would not soon be riding a honda instead of a bicycle, they acted with such overwhelming violence and in such numbers the gov was powerless to do anything to stop it.
    Xi is steering a similar boat and must keep the economy steaming and expanding so those poor still believe that one day they will make it out of poverty and own a high-rise apartment or two. This is the mandate of the CCP , make us ALL rich ….or else…..
    So the loss of the Western economy to China’s merchantile class is something he wants to avoid. Hence his warning that Russia should not expand the war into Europe and damage the Chinx businesses there.

I always suspected the Russians were a bit different and these vids from the state tv are confirming that.
    Have you ever noticed what a black hole Russia is for the West? How many Russians do you know? How many Russians have you met and enjoyed a conversation with? How often do you see Russians on tv?What do we really know about the Russian people? I have never met a Russian in my entire life, ever! Yet so many from the West have adopted them as the hope for the world’s future , Putin is a god for many Westerners . I myself was also enamoured but the spell has been broken.
    I once saw a group of Russian tourists at the Taj Mahal in India around ’83? They were acing like a bunch of school children just released from class and I guess they were like that having just gotten out of their confinement in the USSR. They were so excited some were doing handstands for their friends to take photographs! Imagine Ivan back in Moscow showing his photos , “and there I am doing a hand stand in front of the Taj Mahal”… makes sense , not.

Anyway I would love to visit Russia to see what they are really like but I guess I would have to somehow wipe my entire online history or maybe I get a fast bus to the front , “here is your hand grenade Redneck , the pin is already pulled!”

Redneck
    Participant

chooch
    Oh my god save my disintegrating neural links , let’s try ’97 for the Asian financial crisis!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.