Debt Rattle August 7 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 7 2020

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

W.H. Bartlett and J. Appleton The port of Beirut 1838   • Minimizing Economic Costs For COVID19 (NECSI) • UK Shoppers Steer Clear Of High Streets
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 7 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

W.H. Bartlett and J. Appleton The port of Beirut 1838

Gorgeous, just gorgeous…
    Great start to a post…but…
    …a sorry finish for the rest; the clapping of the collapsing is deafening…
    There is no going back; forward into the chasm…
    Screams optional…

Beirut in 1838 would have seemed a magical place to us

V. Arnold
    Participant

Beirut in 1838 would have seemed a magical place to us

Indeed it would have; alas, todays realities bespoil even the most exotic of places…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    Let all souls here rest in peace; for we shall not repeat the evil.

Lovely.
    …but moment by moment, the twisted creeps, in dangerous places… are itching to press that nuclear button, yet again…
    I think the mere thought of it gives them large and hard erections…ultimate power…

GlobalDan
    Participant

The picture of Beirut is great, but please more pictures like yesterday. They are soothing.

zerosum
    Participant

Quote:
    We lie all the time and that’s the truth

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Minimizing Economic Costs For COVID19 (NECSI)

The assumptions related to the costs of the “elimination strategy” could be overly optimistic.
    Some examples:

Containing importations. Included in the cost A is the possibility that an imported case will lead to another uncontained outbreak that may require a local lockdown in a small part of the country. These infrequent local lockdowns, if enacted shortly after an outbreak becomes uncontained, will be short in duration such that at any one time all or almost all of the country is opened up. Thus, even with these potential local lockdowns, the cost A is far less than the cost c1(0) of maintaining R = 1 throughout the entire nation.

Further reducing costs with green zones. In this analysis, the elimination strategy assumes that R < 1 must be maintained until there is no community transmission anywhere in the country. But with internal travel restrictions, a “green zone” approach can be used in which regions within the country can open up one by one as community transmission is eliminated within each region, with travel allowed between two regions once both regions have eliminated community transmission.

https://necsi.edu/minimizing-economic-costs-for-covid-19

zerosum
    Participant

I think that most harbors have abandoned ship waiting their turn to sow havoc.

teri
    Participant

“No love lost for the NRA here, but c’mon, less than three months before the elction, the Democrat DA for New York squeezes Deutsche to fork over Trump’s tax records and the Democrat AG of New York all of a sudden goes after the NRA?! Both cases couldn’t have waited a few months? And nobody mentions election tampering?”

Seriously, Ilargi? I mean this with all due respect. But, seriously, think about it.

The NRA thing has nothing to do with the election. Trump’s taxes, yeah, well, so what? Comey didn’t hesitate to screw Clinton over (she sure deserved it, though), and no doubt there is some tit for tat going on. And….so what?

In the meantime, Trump has repeatedly threatened to postpone the election, has repeatedly claimed the election results might not be valid, told the post office to slow down the mail (which I can tell you has happened for sure in my neck of the woods), has said that he has the unilateral right to stop any efforts to make mail-in voting easier, said he is going to sue the state of Nevada for sending mailed ballots to its residents, and has said that the only state that should be allowed to do mail-in voting is Florida (they have a great governor and their post office works better than the other states, he claims, although that would be the same frickin’ post office the rest of us use, too). He keeps spreading ridiculous lies about mail-in voting, trying to scare people into voting in person during covid.

So who is election tampering here? Trump should have released his tax returns 4 years ago and gotten it over with; now there are a couple more years available which might make it obvious to even the blind just how much money the asshat is making off his position in office.

Both sides do this shit. Trump wanted to play with the oligarchs and now he is. Until we get rid of the grifters and monied elite running things, this is just how they do business. I feel no sorrier for Trump and his family than I do for Biden and his stupid son – the only who took that job with Burisma. The House Democrats already passed a bill that would give some money to the states to help them secure their election processes and expand mail-in voting. The Senate Republicans’ bill (negotiated with the White House) does not include any money for election security.

But then, Democrats rigged the 2016 primary to get rid of Sanders and there was certainly something odd about Biden’s sudden rise this year, the Republicans gerrymander like they are on a mission from God and take careful aim at whom they will disenfranchise from voting at all, both sides shut down polling places and seem to have trouble counting ballots.

Point is, there is no need to reflexively defend Trump here. He’s doing more than his fair share of election tampering of his own. Some of what Trump gets, he deserves.

Mister Roboto
    Participant

@teri: I agree that it’s dismaying that some people feel the need to defend the likes of Donald Trump just because Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and the DNC are very lousy excuses for public servants. The USA is a declining hegemonic power, and everything about it now reflects this fact.

Nomanisanisland
    Participant

Microsoft is in talks to purchase the operations of TikTok in the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand

5 Eyes minus UK, why not UK?

Mr. House
    Participant

Honestly we all need to stop paying attention to this stuff. Its just a dog chasing his tail. We have no power over the outcome. Both sides are awful. We never talk about starting a new party or movement. We just read, roll our eyes and yell at each other.

Mister Roboto
    Participant

@Mr. House: Orange man bad, orange man bad, orange man bad! REEEEEEEE!!!! 😀

Mr. House
    Participant

ha thats the biggest hurdle my friend. Too many people blinded by party dogma.

Arttua
    Participant

How is it political to go after such an overtly political organization as the NRA?

Alas. My post didn’t. I can’t even suggest a website- no post.
    One more try: check out a Swedish doctor’s post at drmalcolmkendrick. Dot org.

Dave Note
    Participant

Wait until AG Barr and Durham indict Comey, Clapper et al for sedition and treason a month before the election

I can hear the howls it’s politically motivated.

No it isn’t, it just took this long to assembly the case against the traitors.

HerrWerner
    Participant

Ouch. Sagan’s words come true in less than one generation. I re-read Demon Haunted World this year in virustime (at age 51) and was floored by that very passage. Twenty+ years ago (at age twenty-know-it-all) my mind surely dismissed and skated right over the improbability of those words.

RIP, Carl Sagan. The very credibility of the science Sagan loved has since been auctioned off for money and influence by its practitioners. Many of them don’t even realize it. I have friends in medicine, marketing and engineering and all of them see “science” as infallible truth, not as a process that requires thought and questioning and self-correction. In the current sere of civilisation Science is a once-great institution hollowed out by charlatans and apparatchiks.

V. Arnold
    Participant

In the current sere of civilisation Science is a once-great institution hollowed out by charlatans and apparatchiks.

Hear, hear! Everything has been, or, is in, the process of corruption… 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.