Debt Rattle January 27 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle January 27 2017

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kathimerini Trump and Evolution Jan 25 2017 • Theresa May: US and UK Will No Longer Invade Foreign Countries (Ind.) • Donald Trump’s Plan For China Re
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle January 27 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

One thing that struck me;
    Not Robert Parry’s strongest effort, he seems to want to stick to two contradictory stories at the same time: is Obama a closet neocon or is he a coward?

Answer; both; and more. A bought and paid for politician; a criminal on all fronts of international law.

V. Arnold
    Participant

My question for Trump is:
    When do the jack booted, goose stepping, parades start?

oxymoron
    Participant

I still dunno about Der Spiegel – What had happened to this once-proud country? . I thinks it’s called running out of stuff you numb nuts. You only get to be all confident and proud when you are rich and prosperous. Why do so many journalists look through this prism of trying to understand cultural and social changes without thinking about energy and finance. Have any of them read Limits to Growth or did they not get time while on assignment to cover another story about how their heads are up their arses.

Get the hell out of the cities and make yourselves useful. Chop some wood. Build a compost toilet. Help the poor. Grow some vegetables. Be the change. Man

oxymoron
    Participant

And while I’m on a rant. The way out of consumption (consumerism) is production. i.e. making stuff. Not reconfiguring stuff which is what you do in cities – get raw product like the last wild fish in the world and craft you’re amazing sushi or whatever. I know I sound a bit binary and it is never as simple as that but there is not enough actual action going on and debt is one of the big blocks to getting shit done. I dunno what I’m trying to say but I just built a whole house out of tiles and wood and dirt and straw and windows and electrical conduit and cans of paint etc. that pretty much all came from the dump or the side of the road. The average house in inner Melbourne is now 1.5 million and the debt load on these idiots is astounding. Me and the wife owe 30 thousand and even that is too much but I mean come on people (not you good folk on the forum) stop buying shit and start making shit!!!!
    ahhhhhh

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

You’ll probably catch this tomorrow, but Mish on how oil is pivotal factor in the rise and decline of world exports:
    What’s Behind the Collapse in Global Exports in the US, Japan, EU, Emerging Markets?

Probably has a number of implications, but as expected, on the face, oil, energy, is outside “economics” a primary driver of human activity.

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

Der Spiegel was good in catching that he didn’t really understand America: like nearly everyone, he probably never bothered to leave the city biodome bubbles and I dunno, look? And he’s right, it is very complicated and full of contradictions. But it’s also somewhat clear that he still doesn’t understand it, not really. But then, does anyone? Reminds me of today’s quote (made into a misquote naturally):
    “The media…still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president. They should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile,”

Still not listening. But to be honest, the noise out there is a mass of confusion, and making sense of it is very, very difficult. But for humanity’s sake, we should trying, not still misattributing and misquoting.

Chris M
    Participant

Oxymoron,

I kind of like your rant. It reminds me of something I’ve posted here before…something Benjamin Franklin said:

There are only 3 ways for a nation (or individual, for that matter) to become wealthy. It could make war and take the wealth of another by force (stealing). It could trade freely and make a profit by cheating, because the exchange of goods was beneficial only in increasing the variety of stuff a consumer could use, but to make a monetary profit requires a policy of overpricing one product compared to another (aka stealing through unfair trade). But, a nation could profit through agriculture, where by planting the seed we create new wealth as if by a miracle.

I like that third way, much, much better. 😃

John Day
    Participant

@Oxymoron: Good-on-Ya, Mate!
    @Dr Diablo: Thanks for the Mish link and Limits-to-Growth (Duh, where have you been, dude?) context for the Spiegel article.
    Here is something to consider, though only roughed-out, not well defined. I have been seeing evidence that I construed as a rift in “our” shadowy-puppet-master ranks, between the global-empire-as-usual neocon crowd and what is being called the “rationalists”, who are accepting of the implications of the “standard run model” of The Limits to Growth. The rationalists have taken control with the Trump election, and the format is Right-authoritarian-populist, like Mussolini, more than Hitler, so far. The Scott Adams piece is useful in that context.
    This article posits that Trump is the Rothschild-contingent point-man. Plausible, and we know the “rationalists” in the US military-intel complex have been disgusted by the stupid political management of the military for about 15&1/2 years… https://www.fort-russ.com/2017/01/is-trump-rothschilds-president.html

Jef Jelten
    Participant

Oxy – your solution of producing only works if many simply consume (thus your name I presume).

Chris M – Ag is no better than the first two as it ALWAYS requires massive subsidization and political strong arming with financial and military threat behind it in order to be as profitable as it has been.

Chris M
    Participant

Jef,

Subsidies are a way for the government to supplement the farmers’ income, because they are not earning their way via parity prices for their production. Some would call it a form of corporate welfare.

Farmers don’t need subsidization when they are earning their way, getting their fair share of income through balanced pricing. In the 1940’s and 1950’s, parity prices for agricultural commodities were enforced in the United States. The farmers didn’t need subsidization then.

I say enforce the parity laws again. That will force capital out of the reserves and create money velocity as production moves through the trade turn. That’s real stimulus. Forget the subsidies and all the bureaucracy that goes with it.

Nassim
    Participant

“Kathimerini Trump and Evolution”

I presume Obama was the peak of mankind. :=)

Nassim
    Participant

“When do the jack booted, goose stepping, parades start?”

Frankly, if Trump and Soros were to do to the USA what Soros and the predecessors of Trump did to the the Middle East, Somalia and Ukraine, that is fine by me.

Jef Jelten
    Participant

Chris M – So… you prefer fiction over nonfiction it seems…what should be over what is is. You might be just thinking theoretically or regionally?

Subsidies are the other side of the same coin as sanctions/Taxation, they are both ways of manipulating (and thats putting it nicely) trade, both can and do kill!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.