Debt Rattle January 9 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle January 9 2016

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

DPC Longacre Square, soon to be Times Square 1904 • Worst First Five Days of Year Ever For US Stocks Dim Outlook (WSJ) • The End of the Monetary Illus
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle January 9 2016]

jal
    Participant

I don’t, personally, know anyone that has been hurt by what is happening. Therefore, all must be okay.
    Hearsay stories. /sac

I met the Al-Maari family, who are making the journey as the snow falls thick and fast. They fled Syria three weeks ago, and have been on the road ever since. They are travelling with four children, the youngest is just two years old. His brother Mohammad, seven, is suffering with fever and a chest infection. “We are on a journey of death,” said Mohammad’s uncle, Iyad Al-Maari. “We can endure. But I am worried about the children – the cold, disease and hunger.” Mohammad is not thought to be seriously ill. Iyad said the family are determined to continue to Germany, where the children’s father is waiting for them.
    Malak, said: “We didn’t want any of this… we just want the war to end in Syria.” The stress and anxiety can be seen clearly on Malak’s face. She is traumatised and desperate.

The $1.4 trillion lost in global mining stocks since 2011 exceeds the total market value of Apple, Exxon Mobil and Google’s parent Alphabet.

In all, U.S. stocks lost $1.36 trillion in value this past week.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-08/death-canadian-oil-dream-firsthand-account
    The Death Of The Canadian Oil Dream, A Firsthand Account

Late last year, Brandon MacKay listed his Kawasaki dirt bike for sale on Kijiji, the online classifieds site. It was the only treat the 25-year-old had given himself in three years living in Fort McMurray. The rest he’d spent on supporting and visiting his wife and kids in Pictou County, N.S. But in crafting the ad for the bike—$4,400 or best offer—MacKay did what any sales agent would advise against: he revealed his desperation to sell. “I lost my job and am in need of money for my wife and kids for Christmas.”

Fort McMurray is like a wounded beast these days. MacKay’s neighbour got laid off this fall. “I watched the bank come and take his truck,” he recalls—it was that or not feed the kids. Home prices in November were 20 per cent below last year’s average, with even townhouses and duplexes losing $100,000 in value. According to reports, a number of people who used to regularly donate to the city’s food bank have become clients.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.