Debt Rattle July 19 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle July 19 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    madamski cafone
    Participant

WES: I was thinking of Orlov’s assessment of how Russia’s collapse went much better than ours will. I still basicallt agree, but I also know how pathetically crippled the Russkies were at that time as well. THey had almost no sense of personal pride or accomplishment left.

So, as pathetic as contemporary Americans are, I suspect that in some ways we woill do surprisingly well because we have not personal initisative so thoroughly beat out of us as the Russkies.

WES
    Participant

Madamski:

I guess the number one surprise for me in Russia in 1983 was the general lack of hope. Drinking was their coping mechanism. So much so, the authorities didn’t dare cut vodka production!

madamski cafone
    Participant

We can count on the legalizatin of marijuana proceeding apace. Judging by the smell, weed smoking has tripled or quadrupled in our apt complex.

John Day
    Participant

@UpstateNYer: Chard is tough, and if you have it in a pot, you can bring the pot in or partly in, maybe a sealed garage, whatever avoids a hard freeze. It’s mostly like spinach, right? Especially if you cut out the thicker parts. Chard is semi perennial here. It will go at least 2 years. It’s a leaf-beet. How much chard and raddishes can you eat, though? Bush beans? They’ll handle those temps. Black Krim tomatoes (from Crimea) are wonderful and about as early as Early Girls. I hope you don’t have critters.
    @Sumac Carol: That is a lot of garlic, and you are not done yet.. Farming/Gardening is a lot of maintenance that nobody sees. That’s why it’s so hard to be a prepper outside and so easy to be one in your mind. Allopurinol id good for gout. BBQ and beer is bad. I’m sure he drinks lots of water.

@Wes
    : That’s just sad, Man… πŸ™

@Madamski
    : Good form, Girl!
    @TAE Summary: Double Trouble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdFZyrimFI

WES
    Participant

Madamski:

The Russian authorities openly complained about Russians drinking too much, and the one solution they did try was introducing Pepsi. There was a bottling plant about 10 hours away from the mine where I worked. We managed to convince the mine manager (ex-major and Vietnam advisor!) to send a mine truck up to the Pepsi bottling plant. The biggest problem was the lack of glass bottles! We collectively had to promise to return the empty bottles or we wouldn’t get any more Pepsi! I think we managed 2 round trips before winter arrived.

Funny thing about the mine manager was that because he had travelled a bit, he was the most reasonable one we had to deal with! Everyone else below him were true sticks in the mud! If you were Russian, “NO” was only said once by them and that was the end of that! But not with us!

I can tell you when you put together a bunch of experienced service reps from many different countries and companies, you get a collection of some very independent minded types! Types who don’t take “No” for an answer, but view it as merely the starting point for obtaining “YES”! As a group were were deadly!

So, you close the front door!
    We come in by the back door!
    You close the back door!
    We climb in a window!
    You close all the windows!
    We climb down the chimney!
    You block the chimney!
    We make a new side door!

You finally realize resisting is futile!
    Better to give the buggers what they want to keep them quiet!
    Or word will leak out that you can’t keep the foreigners under control and thus get yourself into trouble!

WES
    Participant

Madamski:

Weed will become legal when the politicians need more tax money to spend! Just like lotteries!

Clearly Canadian politicians were more desperate sooner! Yours will come around sooner or later!

John Day
    Participant

@WES: Weed isn’t legal where you live?
    The cops here officially don’t want to know about anything under a kilo. They are done with pot busts.

zerosum
    Participant

“Weed will become legal when the politicians need more tax money to spend! Just like lotteries!”

You have just solved the printing problem.
    A merry go round!
    πŸ™‚

madamski cafone
    Participant

WES: I don’t know that USA gubmint cares about collecting taxes anymore. It’s more of a show, I feel.

However, that should severely change when we lose our foreign reserve currency petrodollar privileges and have to rely on deomestic revenues, I suppose.

madamski cafone
    Participant

‘*hey, it’s possible, and the scene is crazy enough, and I like imagining Prince Charles as an iguana’

This referred to a remark about shape-shifting reptilian overlords like Queen Elizabeth is alleged to be in some circles. Somehow I axed it by accident.

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ Antidote: your Zerohedge comment thread guy is a gem.

Huskynut
    Participant

apropos the Chiva vs Us thing, Fred Reed is very on point today: https://www.unz.com/freed/watching-china-anatomy-of-a-suicide/

I dunno if it’s true, but his line “Reading of Chinese efforts, one gets a sense of motion, agility, vitality remarkable in a nation that in 1976, when Mao died, was the poorest nation on earth.” is stunning

WES
    Participant

John Day:

Justin Trudeau made weed legal across Canada last year, or the year before, I believe. I don’t think the provinces are getting the taxes they expected due to setting their prices too high. I think you are only allowed a few grams of the stuff.

Rubbarb is another tough plant! My Father once found some growing beside an old abandoned Hudson Bay fur trading post, in Labrador, about 100 miles south of where we lived. This fort had probably been abandoned nearly 100 years earlier and the rubbarb plants had managed to survive all that time!

WES
    Participant

I noticed that Florid governor pointed out only legal lawful US citizens are required to follow covid rules. Illegals are not required to follow Bidens covid rules!

zerosum
    Participant

@ RaΓΊl Ilargi Meijer
    A great collection of articles demonstrating,
    “A divided America”

There are lots of different conflicting.
    Definition:
    A conflict is a struggle between people which may be physical, or between conflicting ideas. The word comes from Latin conflingere Conflingere means to come together for a battle. … Conflicts arise because there are needs, values or ideas that are seen to be different, and there is no means to reconcile the dispute.

Let’s call it what it is .
    “America at war”

War – organised and often prolonged conflict that is carried out by states or non-state actors – is characterised by extreme violence, social disruption, and economic destruction.[1][2]
    War should be understood as an actual, intentional and widespread conflict between political communities, and therefore is defined as a form of political violence or intervention.
    ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_war )

All “wars” consume more energy than rewards.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.