Debt Rattle March 17 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 17 2016

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Christopher Helin Kissel military Highway Scout Kar at Multnomah Falls, Oregon 1918 • US Lost 30% Of Manufacturing Jobs Between 1998 And 2016 (WaPo) •
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 17 2016]

Raleigh
    Participant

“Killing off your manufacturing base is the worst thing you can do.”

Trump keeps saying this too, but somehow he’s labelled “nationalistic” or “protectionist” for saying it. Ditto for his questioning about the trade agreements which are being hammered out in secret.

Allowing cheap labor (illegals and temporary foreign workers) to flood over your borders, which forces domestic labor costs down and is a drain on social services, is another bonehead idea. Trump keeps saying this too, but somehow he’s labelled a “racist” and a “bigot” for saying it. A wall doesn’t have to be built, just enforce existing laws that nail employers who don’t hire Americans first – and – cut off all benefits to illegals. If this happened, they would simply return home on their own. Trump is saying that if more workers are needed than America has, then, fine, bring them in “legally” as new immigrants.

When not only is your manufacturing base lost (employers have gone to where they can get cheap labor), but your domestic jobs are also lost to illegals, you are really getting screwed. Name any legal or social arrangement/contract that would survive this.

Raleigh
    Participant

“The hotelier joins a number of other companies, including Walmart, Apple and General Electric, that have pushed for more U.S.-made products in recent years.”

Yeah, right, “pushed for more U.S.-made products”. What a laugh! I don’t blame a business for doing things more economically, but let’s call it that. They could give a sh*t whether it’s U.S.-made or China-made or Vietnam-made. They’re bringing jobs back now because it’s becoming more economical to do so (with advances in machinery), plus it saves on shipping costs.

As the article said, jobs are coming back, but they are greatly reduced in number. So if there is a need for fewer and fewer workers, what are they doing bringing in huge amounts of people through immigration? I don’t get it. Maybe somebody could enlighten me. I mean, aren’t things supposed to at least balance out somewhat, or is that just silly thinking on my part?

Raleigh
    Participant

We all decry the loss of the rhinos and the rest of nature, but somehow we can’t talk about over-population. Aren’t the poachers just beating us to it? Won’t we, given our record, decimate nature all on our own; it’ll just take more time. Poached now or annihilated tomorrow sort of thing.

By 2050, Nigeria will overtake the U.S. (4th) as the third most populace country in the world, behind India (1st) and China (2nd). Nigeria! Then Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Bangladesh, Congo, Ethiopia, Mexico and Egypt. Population projections for 2100 state the world’s population will rise to 11.2 billion. The median age of 30 (now) will rise to 36 in 2050 and 42 in 2100—the median age of Europeans today.

Gee, maybe if the West keeps taking more and more people from the rest of the over-populated world, keeps the cycle going, we can…..not even make a dent in the world’s population? Kind of like what Dr. Diablo mentioned re Steve Keen the other day, Steve Keen’s insistence of the infinite and endless taking on of more and more debt. Eventually the game stops, but the damage is done in the meantime. All that’s left is the autopsy.

Run, rhinos, run!!!! What, nowhere to go? Poachers to the left of you, encroaching farmland or condos to the right? Well, don’t worry, we’ll shove you in a pen and get people to pay to come and watch you slowly die.

Raleigh
    Participant

“Europe’s return plan violates Greek law. To address this, Greece must overhaul its asylum laws in a matter of days to enshrine Turkey as a “safe third country” to receive asylum seekers.”

Shouldn’t they have done this at the beginning of the exodus? Wait, the people came from Turkey, had to cross through Turkey to get to Greece, had to leave the apartments they had in Turkey (or camps), had to literally walk across Turkish soil to get to the water’s edge, but now Turkey is considered a safe “third” country”? Shouldn’t it be that Greece is returning them to Turkey because Turkey was a “safe refuge” to begin with?

Ken Barrows
    Participant

Except for emergency Medicaid, I’d like to see a link to a benefit that undocumented individuals get in the USA. I don’t think there is one.

Raleigh
    Participant

Undocumented mothers can have their babies delivered for free in the U.S. Is that the emergency you’re speaking of? Once the baby is delivered, the family, through the baby (now considered a U.S. citizen), is eligible for food and housing benefits. How many come to the U.S. especially to deliver their babies, to secure citizenship for their child?

Do children of undocumented workers not attend school? What about school lunches? Are they going to deny them? What about SNAP?

Are you telling me that undocumented individuals receive no benefits at all, aside from emergency Medicaid?

Leaving aside the benefits or no benefits question, there is the fact that many, many illegals are working under the table, not paying taxes, the employers are greatly benefiting from this, and the U.S. workers are left out. This is the biggest crime.

I read a really good article on Mexican farm workers taking over jobs that local families used to have. The farmers who employed them treated the migrant workers poorly, paid them less than the local families they used to employ, and were raking in the money; they were filthy rich. The local families wanted the work, had always done the work, but now it wasn’t around because it was cheaper to hire illegals. This should not be allowed. You hear about these poor farmers, how they say they wouldn’t make it without the low-paid migrants, and then you see their cars, their houses, their lifestyle, read about the campaign contributions they make to their favored politicians, and you realize it’s all a pack of lies. They scare people by telling them that they’ll be paying a lot more for their fruits and vegetables if the illegals are kept out. Well, just looking at their lifestyle tells me that there’s a lot of money in fruits and vegetables, but the “poor farmer” is pocketing it. How about he pay the workers at least the minimum wage, and then reduce the friggin’ price of the produce?

Corporations and businesses again are the beneficiaries of illegals. They spread the cost out to the rest of society.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

Raleigh,
    Point taken on some of what you wrote, but undocumented immigrants, including children and pregnant women, are NOT eligible for SNAP. Worth an Internet search to find out.

Raleigh
    Participant

Ken – yes, but apparently there are ways around this – forged documents. Now, you might argue that this isn’t the illegal immigrants’ fault, that the U.S. government ought to be able to tell real from fake documents, but apparently some illegals are taking advantage of this.

“Once illegal immigrants arrive, they buy forged documents saying they are U.S. citizens. The only way to stop this is to crack down on those who make and sell forged documents. If employers, state, and federal agencies cannot tell a forged document from a real document, then of course illegal aliens will receive benefits.”

I guess it’d be kind of like cracking down on drugs – next to impossible.

“Just because illegal aliens are not legally entitled to these benefits does not mean they do not apply for them. Yes. It is true that illegal aliens have received grants, professional accreditations, loans, WIC, disability, public housing, college educations, food stamps, unemployment benefits, and tax credits from state and federal agencies.”

Why is it that Illegal Aliens Get Free Food Stamps, Health Insurance and Pay No Taxes?

Raleigh
    Participant

Ken Barrows – a tax loophole that is being taken advantage of. “Hey, if it’s there, then nail it,” some might say.

“Millions of illegal immigrants are getting a bigger tax refund than you. Eyewitness News shows a massive tax loophole that provides billions of dollars in tax credits to undocumented workers and, in many cases, people who have never stepped foot in the United States. And you are paying for it!”

I don’t know whether we should call this a “benefit”, but from where I’m sitting, if it “benefits” you, then I guess it is.

“Each spring, at tax preparation offices all across the nation, many illegal immigrants are now eagerly filing tax returns to take advantage of a tax loophole, using their ITIN [individual taxpayer identification number] numbers to get huge refunds from the IRS.

The loophole is called the Additional Child Tax Credit. It’s a fully-refundable credit of up to $1000 per child, and it’s meant to help working families who have children living at home.

But 13 Investigates has found many undocumented workers are claiming the tax credit for kids who live in Mexico – lots of kids in Mexico.

“We’ve seen sometimes 10 or 12 dependents, most times nieces and nephews, on these tax forms,” the whistleblower told Eyewitness News. “The more you put on there, the more you get back.” […]

One of the workers, who was interviewed at his home in southern Indiana, admitted his address was used this year to file tax returns by four other undocumented workers who don’t even live there. Those four workers claimed 20 children live inside the one residence and, as a result, the IRS sent the illegal immigrants tax refunds totaling $29,608.

13 Investigates saw only one little girl who lives at that address (a small mobile home). We wondered about the 20 kids claimed as tax deductions?

“They don’t live here,” said the undocumented worker. “The other kids are in their country of origin, which is Mexico.”

He later explained none of the 20 children have ever visited the United States – let alone lived here.”

https://www.wthr.com/story/17798210/tax-loophole-costs-billions

I’d be interested in hearing what you think about the above.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.