Debt Rattle November 22 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 22 2017

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Arthur Rothstein Quarter Circle U Ranch, Big Horn County, MT 1939   • UK Water Firms Admit Using Divining Rods To Find Leaks And Pipes (G.) • UK
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 22 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Well, let’s see; the first amendment is dead; rip, NOT!
    But then, let’s see what Usians do about that…
    Arguably; two of the best news sources on the planet are under attack by the lying, feckless, US media mogul’s; backed to the hilt (surely encouraged) by the government. RT must now register as a foreign agent.
    BBC, Al Jazeera, and many other foreign news broadcasters are given free reign because they tow the “company line; how about them apples?
    RT and Sputnik deliver real news even Amy Goodman can’t, or won’t, report. To her shame; Amy reported the white helmets as genuine hero’s fully deserved of the Nobel Prize. RIP Democracy Now…

Everything “out there” has been turned into a monetized racket; beware everything; the predators have change their appearences to be unrecognizable to the naive; the spears one carries today are an informed, critically thinking, brain.

SteveB
    Participant

“a monetized racket” is an inevitable result of a global exchange-based culture, V.

“an informed, critically thinking, brain” is what it takes to understand that.

So? Will we continue to lament what we have wrought through our repeated (daily! constant!) choice to continue that belief and still choose to maintain it, or will we take the obvious corrective step?

V. Arnold
    Participant

SteveB
    So? Will we continue to lament what we have wrought through our repeated (daily! constant!) choice to continue that belief and still choose to maintain it, or will we take the obvious corrective step?

I think it’s pretty obvious; nothing to see here folks, move along…
    I acted back in 2003; I left for far shores and a different culture.
    I see nothing to indicate an awakening or a changed pattern of behavior.
    The only thing I see is that; everyone must make their own choices about their futures.
    But in order to make decent choices; one must be informed and exercising their critical thinking tuned brain to which is the best way to tread…
    Unfortunately; belief rules most; obviating free choice; and without that (free choice); I see no change, whatsoever, as possible…
    As history has shown, the individual, must break from convention, and flee (?) independently, whatever that takes, to find a life worth living.

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-21/millions-of-patients-face-pain-and-withdrawal-as-opioid-prescriptions-plummet

Go and read the rest of the article.
    Removing the causes of the emotional and physical pain would make the opioid crisis disappear.

Easier said than done.

zerosum
    Participant

Review

Hoping to avoid another round of unpopular bailouts, financial watchdogs have forced too-big-to-fail banks to make themselves less dangerous by adding lots of capital that safeguards against losses.

What is bank capital?

Bank capital is the difference between a bank’s assets and liabilities, and it represents the net worth of the bank or its value to investors. The asset portion of a bank’s capital includes cash, government securities and interest-earning loans, such as mortgages, letters of credit and inter-bank loans, while the liabilities section of a bank’s capital includes loan-loss reserves and any debt it owes. A bank’s capital can be thought of as the margin to which creditors are covered if the bank liquidates its assets.

What are bank assets?

Bank assets are the physical and financial “property” of a bank, what a bank owns. While a bank commonly owns physical property (buildings, land, furniture, equipment),
    the bulk of a bank’s assets are financial–legal claims on the property or the wealth of others. The two most notable asset categories are loans (which generate interest revenue) This asset includes loans to consumers (home loans, personal loans, automobile loans, credit card loans) and businesses (real estate development loans, capital investment loans).
    and reserves (which keep deposits safe).Two varieties of reserves worth noting are vault cash (the actual paper currency and coins that is kept in the bank, that is, in the vault) and Federal Reserve deposits (deposits that banks keep with the Federal Reserve System to clear checks and assist in other banking activities).

anticlimactic
    Participant

TESLA

At no point has Tesla been in a situation where it would be able to make a profit. It has made a loss on every car it has sold yet the hope is that it will make profits on the series 3 which costs a fraction of its’ previous products. This is despite massive subsidies, bank loans, money from investors, deposits for series 3 cars, etc.

The other main problem is that lithium batteries are inappropriate foe electric cars. Apart from the expense there is the question of what percentage of the energy pumped in is actually stored. Of the battery technologies I have tread about I favour those based on carbon, preferably charcoal or graphite.

There does appear to be a new carbon based battery technology but it is based on graphene. Graphene is a relatively exotic form of carbon – a flat sheet of carbon atoms, and I believe it is expensive to make so the battery price may currently be too high for it to change the world. However if the demand is there then I am sure someone will develop a method to make it cheaper.

If it is a viable technology then it is another stake through the heart of Tesla which has invested huge amounts in producing thin film lithium batteries!

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/13/fisker-has-filed-patents-for-solid-state-batteries/

Nassim
    Participant

“Ten of the 12 water companies in the UK have admitted they are still using the practice of water dowsing”

The fact that they are still using dowsing suggests that there may be something to it. The water companies are not entirely stupid as this article suggests.

My father – when he worked in the UK as a student mining engineer in 1938 – told me about dowsing being used in Cornwall by miners looking for tin. It is a gift that few people seem to have.

“German dowsers achieved excellent results in locating deposits of metals. The French tried to vie with them by training their own miners. The English following the more expedient path, wisely imported German dowsers”

Old-Time Country Wisdom & Lore: 1000s of Traditional Skills for Simple Living

Personally, I have never witnessed it, but I would not dismiss it out of hand.

olo530
    Participant

Messieurs, lorsqu’en vain notre sphère
    Du bonheur cherche le chemin,
    Honneur au fou qui ferait faire
    Un rêve heureux au genre humain!

Pierre-Jean de Béranger, Les Fous

Maybe prescription opioids are not all bad.

Nassim
    Participant

This is, IMHO, what is going to determine the weather over the next 30 years:

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    A translation would sure be helpful.

olo530
    Participant

Can’t find any good English translation… This is barely better than Google Translate service:
    But whilst our globe, sirs, seeks in vain
    The path of happiness to gain,
    Honor the madmen who can trace
    Gay dreams, to please the human race.

zerosum
    Participant

@ olo530
    merci
    That thought might help to take away mental pain

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    Thanks, good enough.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.