Debt Rattle October 5 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle October 5 2018

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Paul Gauguin Contes barbares 1902   • Economy on Sugar High Before Trade War Worsens (DDMB) • Gundlach Says Treasury Market Is Witnessing A ‘Game
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle October 5 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

That Gauguin, Contes barbares 1902 is gorgeous. I like it a lot.
    The colors are great and the subjects are beautiful, I love their faces; they’re exotic….
    Is that Gauguin lurking behind the man and woman? He’s wearing a red beret; that’s why I think it’s him.
    I do not fully understand the meaning of Contes barbares…

Yes, that’s him, and the girls are talking about him, the barbarian. 1902 is quite late in his life, he died in May 1903. He returned to French Polynesia in 1895, and never made it back to France.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Thanks for the filler Ilargi; it helps.
    Barbarians; we are indeed barbarians, us western white people.
    A well earned title, IMO…

When Gauguin was in Tahiti etc, it had long been a French colony. And that was not a good thing. Population of for instance the Marquesas Islands -where he probably painted this work- had gone from 80,000 100 years earlier to just 4,000, through diseases -TBC- and colonial cruelty. What was once a paradise had turned into anything but. There were some remnants, though, as Gauguin’s work shows.

zerosum
    Participant

re. Contes barbares 1902

red-orange luminous hair

The figure on the left …. diabolic-looking image of his friend in the middle of a South Sea landscape.
    (father? …. daughter? …. hair color?)

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose – Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr

zerosum
    Participant

Job numbers are super strong ????
    It must be because of helicopter money from the printing press.

Dr. D
    Participant

From today’s Kunstler:

“… even some of the best analytical minds of our time are missing the main thread of the story: that human affairs in the 21st century have entered a hazardous period of disorderly change largely due to that age-old pitfall of making ever-increasing investments in complexity with diminishing returns. That is exactly how societies collapse and that is where things stand in the Time of Trump. One might even theorize that Mr. Trump’s simplemindedness is a kind of virtue in the face of runaway complexity. His instinct, at least, is to repel it.”

Fishtailing into the Future

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.