Debt Rattle Sep 6 2014: ‘We’ Don’t Want The Ceasefire To Hold

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Sep 6 2014: ‘We’ Don’t Want The Ceasefire To Hold

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Arnold Genthe Manhattan 1932 It’s exceedingly safe to assume that the main reason the Kiev government agreed to a ceasefire on Friday was that the Ukr
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Sep 6 2014: ‘We’ Don’t Want The Ceasefire To Hold]

rapier
    Participant

First on the jobs number. It’s the Seasonally Adjusted number. Fiction. Analyzing anything from this headline number is a fools errand.

Lee Adler

Non Farm Payrolls Faux Headline Number Is Misleading

The actual, not seasonally adjusted data shows that the real conditions on the ground have not deviated one iota from the trend of the past 3 years. The actual year to year gain in nonfarm payrolls of 1.85% was within and still near the top of the growth rate range that has been fairly constant since December 2011.”

On Ukraine, without approving the analysis or sentiments but simply for a break from the official narrative. Along with properly modest statements about the unknowability of the future. I am with IM that ‘we’ cannot let this stand but on the other hand there is little that can be done.
    https://vineyardsaker.blogspot.com.br/

Raleigh
    Participant

“Herbert E. Meyer, a nutcase who was a special assistant to the CIA director for a period during the Reagan administration, has penned an article calling for Russian President Putin’s assassination. If we have “ to get him out of the Kremlin feet-first with a bullet hole in the back of his head, that would be okay with us.” https://www.americanthinker.com/2014/08/how_to_solve_the_putin_problem.html

As the crazed Meyer illiustrates, the insanity that Washington has released upon the world knows no restraint. Jose Manual Barroso, installed as Washington’s puppet as European Commission President, misrepresented his recent confidential telephone conversation with Russia’s President Putin by telling the media that Putin issued a threat: “If I want to, I can take Kiev in two weeks.” […]

Russia’s permanent representative to the EU, Vladimir Chizhov, said that if Barroso’s lie stands, Russia will make public the full recording of the conversation.”

Warning to the World: Washington and its NATO & EU Vassals are Insane — Paul Craig Roberts

You are right, Ilargi, all of these lies serve to put Russia on the defensive, always having to disprove the lie. If they just let the lie sit, they’re damned; if they refute it, they’re damned as well because the West doesn’t put it in print. Or if they do, they just lie a little more. I feel for Russia. It’s a lousy position to be in. I think all of us have been in this position, albeit on a lesser scale, at some point in our lives. There’s virtually nothing you can do until the truth comes out, but by that time the damage is already done.

A few days ago I clicked on a link (hotair.com) and was shocked by what I read. Almost everyone (I thought it must have been a joke at first) was totally against Russia.

Besides the calling for Putin’s assassination, Paul Craig Roberts article also pans a Washington Post article which states, in part:

“Putin, bitterly resentful at the loss of power from the Soviet collapse, has “resurrected the tyranny of the Big Lie” in order to reconstitute the Russian Empire.”

V. Arnold
    Participant

More stupid human tricks; Tuesday is S-Day (sanctions+) if Russia doesn’t kowtow and play nice with the benevolent(?) despot empire.
    I’ve not seen it said anywhere, but I wonder how much of the U.S.’s aggression towards Russia/Putin is because Snowden got sanctuary there?
    A week from now could make for interesting times; might be a good time not to be in a big city (or military bases) in Europe or America, yes?

NooBoob
    Participant

BEYOND LIMITS TO GROWTH

► 10,000 years ago humans and our livestock occupied just 0.01% of all the land-air vertebrate biomass on earth.
    ► Now humans and our livestock occupy 97% of all land-air vertebrate biomass.
    ► Humans and our livestock now consume over 40% of earth’s annual green land biomass production. What have we done?
    ► 50% of All Vertebrate Species will be gone by 2040.
    ► 90% of Big Ocean Fish gone since 1950.
    ► 50% of Great Barrier Reef gone since 1985.
    ► 50% of Fresh Water Fish gone since 1987.
    ► 30% of Marine Birds gone since 1995.
    ► 28% of Land Animals gone since 1970.
    ► 28% of All Marine Animals gone since 1970.
    ► 50% of Human Sperm Counts gone since 1950.
    ► Extinctions are 1000 times faster than normal.
    ► Ocean acidification doubles by 2050.
    ► Ocean acidification triples by 2100.
    ► 90% of Lions gone since 1993.
    ► 90% of Monarch Butterflies gone since 1995.
    ► 93 Elephants killed every single day.
    ► 2-3 Rhinos killed every single day.
    ► Bees die from malnutrition lacking bio-diverse pollen sources.
    ► We are on track to lock in 6°C earth temp rise in just 13 years.
    ► Mass Extinction is unstoppable and irreversible in 40 years.
    ► Permian mass extinction of 95% of life took 60,000 years 250 million years ago.
    ► Dinosaurs mass extinction took 33,000 years after asteroid impact.
    ► Anthropogenic mass extinction will take 300 years max.
    ► This mass extinction is 100x faster than anything before us.
    ► 1 million people born every 4½ days. People live longer.
    ► It takes 10 times as much intermittent “green” energy to displace 1 unit of fossil energy.
    ► Efficiency and conservation only causes more growth within current system.
    ► Antarctic meltdown now irreversible and unstoppable.
    ► Arctic methane burst is irreversible and unstoppable within current system.
    ► World Bank says we have 5-10 years before we all fight for food and water.
    ► We combine bacteria DNA with plant DNA and eat it.
    ► We put massive pesticides and herbicides into our food.
    ► We put nano metals and particles into our food.
    ► We put man-made, computer designed, synthetic DNA into our food.
    ► There are thousands of different chemicals in our foods.
    ► We are eating stuff that never, ever existed on earth before.
    ► We are turning into mutants because of our food.
    ► We are wiping out all life on earth because of our food.
    ► After mass extinction, mutant trees may be all we leave behind.
    ► 2 million children were killed in the Congo for our conflict minerals.
    ► 1 million children were killed in Iraq for our cheap oil.
    ► Thousands die in China’s mines each year for your solar-wind green dreams.
    ► Asian child slaves fish in empty oceans for our seafood dinners. Fishermen become pirates in times of shortages.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/scienc…
    Did you know that the new $2 billion Ivanpah solar plant in the Mojave desert is a death ray that ignites birds in mid flight? When their bodies fall to the ground, they leave smoky trails in the sky called streamers. It is estimated up to 30,000 birds per year will die this way during migrations at just this one green power plant. Bigger solar plants of the same type are in the works. These birds are attracted to the bugs who are attracted to the shiny, pretty lights, just like us. During its construction, up to 3,000 endangered desert tortoises were killed by heavy diesel equipment. Thousands of slave workers die in China’s mines every single year to help produce the exotic minerals used in its construction. This is referred to as the “Green Economy”. If we changed the whole planet to green power, we would kill the earth we call home.
    Our hi tech, green energy world requires conflict minerals, rare earth elements, heavy metals, nano materials and graphite. Search for “rare earth mining in China” on YouTube and see what special hell your solar panels and wind turbines produce in outer Mongolia. Graphite is used for all our batteries and is mined in China emitting deadly fine air particles resulting in a lethal smog that washes down from the skies in an ash laden rain that covers crops and water. Graphene, a nano-material produced for batteries, is water soluble and can cut through human/animal cells. Both graphite dust and graphene are deadly to humans because of their small size. Solar cell manufacturing produces 3 green house gases that are over 10,000 times worse than CO2. Solar panels lose efficiency at the rate of 1% per year. The expensive inverters have to be replaced every 5 to 10 years. The new thin cell panels are even more toxic with shorter lifespans. Manufacturing just five wind turbines produces 1 ton of radioactive residue and 75 tons of toxic water used to leech out the required neodymium. Wind turbines only work at 25% of their rated capacity 90% of the time. Over 2 million children died in the Congo for the conflict minerals green energy needs. Thousands of people die in Chinese mines every year for the minerals green energy needs. Prof. Jian Shuisheng of the Jiatong-University estimates the production of just 6 solar panels requires one ton of coal.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ozzie+zehner
    https://collapseofindustrialcivilization.com/2014/08/22/alternative-energy-fetishes-and-temples-to-technology/
    https://doomfordummies.blogspot.co.at/2014/07/blog-post.html
    https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/09/born-in-2010-how-much-metals-and-energy-is-left.png
    https://vimeo.com/73536828
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/jun/04/mineral-resource-fossil-fuel-depletion-terraform-earth-collapse-civilisation

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

I don’t really understand the tone here. The western media has been like this for over 15 years. Arguably, it could be said they’ve been like this since the US shelled Panama City for sport…or since WWII, or WWI, or always. (Remember the Maine!)

How many decades do we have to watch the same thing before we admit, yes, this is happening? Can we stop arguing about it, digesting it, and start to respond to the real world we lived in instead of the illusion we were taught in elementary school in 1956? It wasn’t true even then.

Can we just say, yes, this is happening and move on to a “How should we respond” phase. Because until we do that, we might as well just sit down and shut up. Sure, we know this. As a Gen-Xer, I’ve know this 90% of my life, since Reagan’s Contra war and when we kids were told we’d be screwed white by our parents for the National Debt–the only promise ever kept to us. But after 40 years the older generation is still in denial about who they are and what’s happening. Can we please stop now? Or is it like they say about science, that every last man of the previous generation has to die before a new idea can be born?

Sorry that doesn’t sound nice, but really, time’s winged chariot marches on…tick tock, people.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Dr. Diablo

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.
    Time to wake up from the dream; we really are the ones our mom’s warned us about…

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

@Nooboob there’s so many things here I wouldn’t know where to start.

“humans and our livestock occupy 97% of all land-air vertebrate biomass”

Does this seem seat-of-the-pants probable to you? Have you ever been north of Toronto, or Moscow, on that swath up to the Arctic circle? Whether this is calculated by square miles or by mammalian biomass, I sorely doubt this can be true. Here in the U.S., there may be a plurality of acres in agricultural production, but I’m sure somewhere else in that list they discuss the scandal of ag land subsidies for acres kept idle. In addition, most of the acres in agricultural use are ALSO occupied by deer, rabbits, groundhogs, feral pigs, and other vertebrates–one does not displace the other. Much. Deep virgin forests are in fact TERRIBLE for vertibrates. Granted, I’m only familiar with North America, but I’d suspect something similar is true in Africa, Siberia, and the Argentine plain. Seat of the pants: No. Way.

“Ocean acidification doubles by 2050.” Fun with statistics. That is, starting from a low level a double may be meaningless. Because if it starts at the acidity of, say vinegar, I sorely doubt that it will be the acidity of battery acid in 40 years. Can you credit this idea, or do the stats really suggest a 0.5% acidity increase that’s made to sound big? This has NEVER happened since the violent beginning, and simply ignores any and all known or possible self-regulating mechanisms, which are very numerous.

“50% of Human Sperm Counts gone since 1950.” You mean 50% are completely sterile or average counts are down 50%? And which locations? Because according to the argument I’m presuming you’re making with the big list, this is one of those self-regulating feedback mechanisms whereby the system is correcting itself and does not straight-line-to-infinity, which in galactic history has never happened anywhere. All things run in cycles, or spirals, and have a predictable affinity to self-correction and self-order.

► 2 million children were killed in the Congo for our conflict minerals.
    ► 1 million children were killed in Iraq for our cheap oil.

According to your argument again, this is a GOOD thing. If humans are causing damage, and their population should or will drop, how can these deaths not be positive? The only other alternative is that they should all live and consume resources. Again, you’re remarking on the self-regulating mechanism and calling it bad here, while implying it’s good in the other list items. Which is it?

“We are on track to lock in 6°C earth temp rise in just 13 years.”

I take this one up all the time but after 15 years of low or no additional increases, what evidence can you present that after say, 15 years of single-digit gains, a 15 year hiatus of no increases, that we will very suddenly jump to a very, VERY high temperature? You have a mechanism? Sunspots? Flares? Because in that timeframe it would have to be an excessively visible, very-short-term single event. Even Man-made CO2 won’t do it in that timeframe. Especially with Peak Oil a fact since 2005.

But let’s presume that might be the case: so what? Plants prosper most at 1000ppm CO2 and higher world temperatures. Earth’s largest landmass is stranded in the arctic rim and would presumably increase arable land. This might be inconvenient for some, but prosper others, like most events do. Unless the only good outcome is that climate/temperature remain exactly as it was in 1995 for the remainder of the planet’s life. Why should it? It’s been both far warmer and far cooler for 10,000 years at a time and nothing especially bad happened. Things changed. We stop glacial and climactic change now? How? We’re still fleas on the back of the elephant, nowhere near up to the task of stopping all climate on earth.

“30,000 birds per year will die” from concentrated solar plants

Seat of the pants, what size pile of birds is that? 4x4x4cm x 30,000/yr = 1,920,000cc/yr Sounds like you’ve created a massive resource for valuable compost collection. Not only to point out it’s probably 1/10th if not 1/100th of this number, it also shows little understanding of ecosystem science. Within parameters, populations are mostly dependent on food source, and the population will perpetually recover as long as food exists. So, yes, tragedy for those birds, but population would be largely unaffected. Cross-check? Cars devastate insect populations yet there remain no lack of bugs even near highway corridors. Same for deer, only less so. I see the same error for fresh water numbers as water is treated as “consumed” but doesn’t vanish from the system when used, just moves through the hydro-cycle.

In any case, what’s your solution if this is a problem? No green energy? Nuclear energy? Coal energy? Caves? Not everything can be a problem, all the time, at once. Instead, all things have their plusses and minuses. I’m in favor of distributed energy production and less consumption, but citing bad science won’t encourage this.

…And so on through the list. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Especially from partisan sources like industry or environmentalists.

There may not be enough resources for everyone to live like Al Gore, but there is probably still enough for everyone to live like a Zen monk, or a Native American traditionalist. Can we start there and skip the scare stuff? It’s much more useful and gives everyone who adopts it a better life experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.