Debt Rattle September 24 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 24 2015

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

David Myers Theatre on 9th Street. Washington, DC July 1939 • EU Refugee Summit In Disarray, Greatest Refugee Tide ‘Yet To Come’ (Guardian) • China Co
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 24 2015]

Ceteris Paribus
    Participant

The first article cited, with Turkey’s political demands outlined, proves what Dr. Diablo has been saying – this is not any organic “refugee exodus”, it’s an orchestrated blackmail campaign, in which Ankara is the lynchpin. They stage a “refugee crisis” right on schedule and then send their demands by letter with breathtaking chutzpah. I wonder how closely Merkel and Faymann are controlled by their NSA handlers. Orban who sees through the ploy only receives insults for it. A sickening spectacle.

The whole thing is like a chess game to the organisers – these “refugees” are a pawn, or perhaps a higher piece, placed in the heart of the disputed territory, to force a check mate.

Greenpa
    Participant

“Chinese have lost trust in their government.”

I think the Chinese are a good deal more sophisticated than that; they never “trust” their government.

It was entirely natural for me, but I discovered it was the fastest way to earn the trust of my co-workers in China; to tell them: “You and I are working together to do something good. And you and I both know that both our governments are full of people we can’t trust to back us up.”

I got big smiles with that one, every time; and quick intimacy- and tons of “my government is more corrupt than yours” jokes- from both sides; it became a friendly and hilarious competition.

Greenpa
    Participant

” a Long Auto Industry Pattern (NY Times)”

Starting a journalistic meme. I have vague, infantile fantasies that SOME journalist may now point out, effectively – “It’s not just the auto industry, stupid. It’s ALL industries. They all cheat, at the drop of a hat.”

rapier
    Participant

One oddity or is it an irony is that VW’s machinations were as I understand it meant to increase MPG’s at the expense of increasing Nitrogen oxide emissions. The irony is that by increasing MPG’s they were reducing CO2 emissions. It only stands to reason since less fuel used per mile means less CO2 per mile. The NO’s are a more immediate form of pollution which among other things produces smog and and all the attendant respiratory stress. CO2 is benign in those health regards but add inexorably to more greenhouse gas accumulation.

There is going to be all sorts of issues with people not bringing their cars in for reprogramming because they don’l want to lose the MPG’s.

Nassim
    Participant

rapier,

Quite correct about fuel economy. Give me CO2 over NO2 any day. 🙂

Hotrod
    Participant

Imagine that! Deception from some of the same corporate predators that brought you WWII. Oh the irony.

Nassim
    Participant

Hotrod,

Actually, I find it hard to believe that the EPA – and its European equivalents – were not in on this game.

It is not very difficult to fix a tube to the exhaust and to measure the gasses as you drive along. An outlay of under $10,000 would be able to do all the measuring you need.

Everyone knows that the fuel-consumption figures are a nonsense and the motoring magazines publish very different results.

Nassim
    Participant

Here we go. The smartest PR boys (and girls) have been working overtime. They are trying to muddy the water by diverting attention to CO2 – a non-toxic gas. What nonsense!

“Did UK ministers collude with test rigging? Officials accused of lobbying to keep out modern methods of testing carbon emissions”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3248313/Did-UK-ministers-collude-test-rigging-Officials-accused-lobbying-modern-methods-testing-carbon-emissions.html

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

So this VW issue has been going on for years but nobody cares until Germany sides with Russia on Syrian talks and joins forces with them to build a new pipeline? Or not. Or we’re a little short this month paying to Ukraine’s new billion dollar debt failure, need some new money and raid VW like we raided UBS. Who knows? GM can openly killed 157 people and risked thousands of others without much trouble, so you have to think there’s some difference between them.

One thing they don’t talk about is, yes emissions are important, but if a car gets 12mpg and another one gets 36mpg, then shouldn’t the one that gets 3x further per exhaust puff be allowed to pollute nearly 3x as much? Just to be fair? Yet VW Passat is one of the highest mpg cars on the road at 45-50mpg, twice the efficiency of their peers. And that’s a bad thing? But we don’t calculate that. And they can run on renewable fuels, where much of the US could grow their own fuel and become independent of oil companies. But we don’t count that either. Or is that why we don’t like them? So many questions, so few answers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.