Debt Rattle September 27 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 27 2020

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Claude Monet The pond at Montgeron 1876   • Amy Coney Barrett Senate Confirmation Hearing Set To Start Oct. 12 (NBC) • Supreme Court Nomination I
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 27 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Claude Monet The pond at Montgeron 1876

Love it, just love the light, colors and…and…hell, I don’t know, I just love that Monet…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Few people have the imagination for reality.
    – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wow, that is a mind bender…….
    …but simple actually…denial is a powerful force for not having the imagination to get past denial into reality; otherwise nown as the now…
    If you’re not centered in that, then you’re caught in a downward spiral ending in oblivion.
    In any event Goethe pretty much nailed it for me…

sumac.carol
    Participant

Why is making a connection between climate change and covid unnecessary? The arguments are that (1) we will have more such disease outbreaks due to climate-related releases of new pathogens and (2) covid government responses show in spades that unthinkable social changes can be made to existential threats, but we are as a whole unwilling to make such changes for climate change, while we are willing for covid.
    On covid second, third, etc waves, nowhere (other than on Jon Barron’s website) have I seen mention of the fact that not having ongoing exposure to pathogens weakens the immune system (think of the immune system as a muscle that is not being exercised). According to Jon Barron, this isolating we have been doing virtually guarantees that subsequent waves will be worse.
    Interesting take on the whole discussion of supreme Court judge selections, reminding us that these justices are very much a reflection of the values of society at any given time, and not very progressive at that. Way too much reverence to such institutions when real social change comes from grimy political action by ordinary people,
    https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/22/the-supreme-court-is-no-friend-of-progressive-politics/

V. Arnold
    Participant

sumac.carol
    Why is making a connection between climate change and covid unnecessary?

Good one on many points.
    I agree; the connection is more likely than not, IMO…

Why is making a connection between climate change and covid unnecessary?

We don’t know where this particular virus originated. If it’s a lab, the connection fails in spades. Unnecessary because there are plenty things to say about climate change without invoking a virus whose origin you do not know.

phil harris
    Participant

” there are plenty things to say about climate change”
    yep
    Phil H
    Its not just those big cycling systems like carbon, hydrological and the positive feedback etc. or even the race for resources, or even industrial pollution and not even our – mostly the industrial half – acting like a slightly slower asteroid wreck extinguishing lifeforms and habitats. Guess you all know that.
    There always have been dangers in our growing connectivity. given the industrial fuel. This one I’m sad to say I had not come across until this year https://necsi.edu/transition-to-extinction

zerosum
    Participant

Conversation Priorities
    1. Trump
    2. Opinions
    3. C19
    4. Amy Coney Barrett
    5. Weather
    6. Elections
    7. Education
    8. Money

Truth
    —–
    Money talks
    United Airlines Holdings Inc. will offer on-the-spot coronavirus testing to customers flying to Hawaii who are willing to pay $250 to avoid a two-week quarantine on arrival.
    For those preferring to pay less, United will also refer flyers to Burlingame, California-based Color for an $80 self-collected test. Color recommends that travelers request its test — which must be ordered by a doctor — at least 10 days before the trip. Customers return samples taken at home 72 hours before their flight via overnight mail or a drop box at San Francisco airport. Results are provided 24 to 48 hours later.

Travelers can also find their own provider for the virus screening, as long as it’s one of the tests sanctioned by the Hawaiian government.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-24/flying-to-hawaii-united-now-has-a-250-coronavirus-test-for-you

zerosum
    Participant

Positive thinking
    If the cost of everything goes up an average of 10%, that mean that the GDP also went up.

Turfkiller
    Participant

Turley celebrating Barrett walking through all the doors and barriers to women that Ginsburg and others had opened up only to close them all to the others coming behind her.

Turfkiller
    Participant

There are already five Catholics on the Supreme Court, but sure, let’s pretend this is all about religion.

Susmarie108
    Participant

@Turfkiller: “Turley celebrating Barrett walking through all the doors and barriers to women that Ginsburg and others had opened up only to close them all to the others coming behind her.”

Agree. And so the upcoming interviews and hearings should seek to determine how she interprets the opportunities (values of feminism) won by RBG and others – and how/why they benefited her directly (clearly they did). That opens up potential for understanding what the future holds and how she might respond to it. I am hoping that the D’s will take the high road as there is benefit to an open and honest hearing despite the past (how Obama’s nominee was treated). Amy CB has great potential because: mother of SEVEN.

RE: Incompetence R Us – Reporting that there are NO N95 facilities in my area – surprise. WINNING would have been guaranteed had Trump’s administration implemented simple, responsible, practical solutions: 1) Testing – rapid, reliable testing in mass quantities/accessible to all under any conditions, 2) Protection – supply of N95 masks for all, hygiene kits, immune supplements Vita A and Vita C (hormone D and zinc if you have C19). Implementation of such a plan would have meant admitting that there was a contagious virus on our shores. Denial was the chosen course of action and FAILURE is the result. Good luck in FL – DeSantis is Trump’s caddie.

Susmarie108
    Participant

My first reaction: the number of Catholics even at 5 seems excessive, and not representative of the religious makeup of America. Should we care? Why?

Susmarie108
    Participant

Forgot to add magnesium to the immune supplements list! This one is essential.

Michael Reid
    Participant

As a retired surgical/ ICU nurse, anyone who would like to know about the correct fitting required for a N95 mask to be effective please refer to my comment on the Incompetence “R” Us post

Michael Reid
    Participant

Betrayal, Infuriating Betrayal
    Mike Whitney

This article provided a wide enough perspective and plausible explanation of what has been going on the last four years that when I shared it with my mainstream media consuming dad he did not reject it outright and said there seems to be some truth in this article.

thomasjkenney
    Participant

@Raul re: MoA article

You might want to read through the comments in that thread. B’s “shred” failed to remove some inconvenient warts.

Vitamin K2. Vitamin D wants it for bone and cardiovascular health..
    “Vitamin K2 is a collection of isoprenologues that mostly originate from bacterial synthesis, also called menaquinones…”
    “K2 is mainly present in fermented food such as cheese and natto (fermented soybeans), but gut microbiota are also able to synthesize vitamin K2 ”

I just learned this yesterday. To get enough K2 from red wine, you’d have to drink 750ml.
    Yea!

“Menaquinones, Bacteria, and Foods: Vitamin K2 in the Diet”
    By Barbara Walther and Magali Chollet

Links work elsewhere- just not here. Go figure, and my apologies.

John Day
    Participant

@mey parents said know: Be very careful to check how much, and of which subtypes of K-2 you are getting. It’s really hard to get a good amount for your money. We use the Life Extension brand “Super K-2”, though they are adjusting product lines all the time. I have been using K-2 in this form for almost 3 years. I don’t add a supplement lightly. I feel the difference when I take this supplement with my usual D 5000U, B-complex, and Ca/Mg/Zn. Specifically, I feel it going up the steepest hill on my commute home, on my fixed-gear bike, in the summer. It’s harder and I’m soggier without the K-2. It does some good things for the heart, at least for my heart, but it helps people getting cancer chemotherapy. That’s how I heard about it.
    YMMV, of course.
    (I just caught up on everything since Thursday. Working again. Life again.)

Thanks, John Day- I will research it. As a serious lover of red French wine and other fermented foods, I figured I’m getting my share.

Automatic_Jack
    Participant

Few people have the imagination for reality.
    – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wow, that is a mind bender…….
    …but simple actually…denial is a powerful force for not having the imagination to get past denial into reality; otherwise nown as the now…
    If you’re not centered in that, then you’re caught in a downward spiral ending in oblivion.
    In any event Goethe pretty much nailed it for me…

I agree, it’s a great quote. But isn’t part of the problem today that reality has become fragmented and the notion of a shared objective reality that all lucid people agree on, regardless of their politics or personal beliefs, is fast becoming a quaint notion from a time gone by?

People can’t can’t even agree on how seriously to take Covid-19. The spectrum of opinion ranges from “relax, it’s basically the flu” to “omg we need an indefinite, strictly enforced lockdown”. And once people make up their minds they tend to cling to their POV like their lives depend on it.

Each side can produce links to credible-appearing articles and studies that “prove” their take is the undeniably correct one and that competing claims are trash. It’s a potent combination of denial, ego and delusional thinking.

Keeping an emotional distance between oneself and “the news” and political bickering and being able to say “I don’t know” or “I don’t have enough information yet to make up my mind” are good ways to avoid falling into a trap where you are stuck defending a dubious or unproven claim come hell or high water. But few people seem to be able to do this.

I must say it’s quite disconcerting noticing how not just reality but also the agreed upon methods of inquiry we use(d) to determine what is real and what is not are being torn to shreds while the vast majority of the population either doesn’t notice, doesn’t care or gleefully joins the fray.

This is not something strong and stable societies do. It is not something that goes away after a few election cycles. It’s more like the beginning of a paradigm shift, in this case the beginning of the end of post-Enlightenment civilization.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.