Debt Rattle September 29 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 29 2018

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

M. C. Escher Corte, Corsica 1928   • Trump Orders New FBI Probe Into Kavanaugh Following Senate Request (Ind.) • The Return Of The Inquisition (S
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 29 2018]

Patricia
    Participant

Brett Kavanaugh’s trial by ordeal will have a much greater effect than on just him. Nobody of any calibre would put themselves up for any sort of office if they thought they might be put through what he has had to endure.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Nobody of any calibre would put themselves up for any sort of office if they thought they might be put through what he has had to endure.

What Kavanaugh is going through is wholly self inflicted and deserved.
    Any man, or woman, of true integrity would have no fear of the process; I’d say the process is working just fine…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Addendum:
    I need to add, that the process is working because of three very brave women.
    With out them, the galoots would have greased Kavanaugh on into being a supreme court judge for life; a crime with no recourse…
    This should be an example of a democratic process working; but will likely be buried in the screed that passes for news…
    It does not give me hope; only temporary satisfaction; and not much of that…

Dr. D
    Participant

The plan to hide the crimes, thefts, frauds, and murders by starting a shooting war among the peasants in the U.S., U.K., E.U., is going pretty well it seems. Later, like May, they will use the problems to roll out more oppression and fascism. Once that’s far enough along, and the middle class of Britain, Europe, and North America are mostly destroyed, they can trot out their pre-picked leader, stop making trouble behind the scenes, and Lo!, a magic master, a politician that fixes all out problems and makes the trains run on time. He’d probably even be Time Magazine’s “Man of the Year”.

…Just like Mussolini, Stalin, and Hitler were. Applause all around! We’re saved! Facebook seal of approval!

But to do that, you need to radically antagonize the regular people with outrageous spectacles both sides believe and neither can tolerate. Mark it on your calendar, because unless you bounce these guys out, CNN, Facebook, the Guardian, and their backers, Soros, Koch, Bush, that’s what’s scheduled to happen.

So don’t make too much of it. You and your countrymen are being played, and everybody with two dollars to spare is trying on purpose to make you feel rotten.

Kavanaugh is an obvious prick. Who has acted like one all his life. Which could still be all he’s guilty of. But still not convinced by the ‘brave women’. As just about all testimonies reveal that come out after the initial accusations, abused women vividly remember virtually all details. But Ford and Ramirez do not. They claim to remember only Kavanaugh, but not time, place etc. And Ramirez needed a lot of time to remember anything at all. Neither she nor NYT found anyone who confirmed her words.

The third woman, Avenatti’s client Swetnick, makes such huge claims, 10 sessions of gang rape that she kept going back to, that she’s hard to take serious. The FBI will now interview them all, under oath. They will talk to Kavanaugh as well, but they already had 6 sessions with him, so it’s a bit unclear how that will go.

Overall, the entire process looks far too politicized. And nobody left their camps after the hearings. Or perhaps Flake did?!

Don’t forget all this stuff was known for a long time, and only came out mere days before confirmation. Feinstein knew of Ford’s words for 6-7 weeks, but would have happily let Kav be nominated if Ford wanted secrecy? And why did Ford write to Feinstein (and not police) in the first place if she allegedly wanted that secrecy?

Many more questions than answers. None of the women have especially strong stories, which remained hidden by Ford’s performance, but in the end it’s not about performance. It’s facts.

zerosum
    Participant

This Kavanaugh spectacle is having an effect on our social structures.

Our social structures are on trial.

Even though there are millions of people watching and following this circus and kangaroo court, the remaining 90% of the population who are not watching, will not be affected, will not be de-programmed and will continue to become sexually frustrated ass grabbing dirty old men.

Will there be new sexual education programs in elementary schools?

Will this circus be the end of “slow dancing”?

Will this circus encourage the spread of the burqa as an attempt to reduce sexual advances and sexual impropriety for 10% of the population?

PlanetaryCitizen
    Participant

Okay, let’s be clear about a few things here! Abused women do not remember virtually all details. Trauma by definition is a state of overwhelm within the autonomic nervous system otherwise know as the fight or flight response. This state of overwhelm very often shifts from fight or flight into freeze and collapse and repressed memory. The persons nervous system is literally stuck somewhere along the experiential time line. Memories of many of the details are often forced into the unconscious. Only a few salient memories typically remain in conscious awareness or memory and recall of those memories (intentionally or not) often brings forth images and feeling states that re-trigger the original activation or overwhelm bringing on fear and anxiety or collapse into re-repression of the memory. Otherwise known as PTSD. Most memories of a traumatic event need to be coaxed back into awareness and the charged nervous system discharged in methodical resourced and non-threatening way.

I have to say my once vaunted and lauded TAE has become a real disappointment since Trump came on the scene. You say you don’t support him and yet with exception of the most rare occurrences, every article that gets posted and the comments about it do nothing but support him or cast doubt on a counter narrative. He can’t be critically evaluated because of the so called “echo chamber.” What bullshit! Your articles about the world economy are first rate and environment etc are first rate. That Trump is destroying the very checks on things you seem to care about mystifies me as to your de facto support for him. Clearly just the way I see it from where I sit.

Ford tried to derail his nomination while he was still on the short list. That she didn’t want to be a part of the circus is 100% understandable and yet felt compelled to escalate her voice as the process moved along, no doubt given her convictions about the man. No one would put themselves in that position unless it were true. She has nothing to gain but stopping a vile predator and the satisfaction that she has done a civic duty that does credit to her courage. And yes, some images are indelible.

Really, reporting it to the police requires pressing charges for sexual assault. Any attorney would advise against it under the current circumstances. Just another logic canard to deflect from a charge that should be thoroughly investigated before you put a potentially predatory drunk on the Supreme Court. Republicans have little shame or ethics when it comes to the raw exercise of power. Think Marrick Garland.

@ Zerosum: Last I heard, “slow dancing” is a consensual activity. Really, the inevitable Burqa solution to sexual assault. Give me a fucking break!

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Ilargi:  “If people want a second vote, isn’t that democratic?”

Good question. The most recent polls I found are fairly evenly split for the UK overall, in contrast with polls for Northern Ireland and Scotland, which indicate a larger majority (more like 2 out of 3) wanting to remain in the EU. With so much local opposition, are Scotland and Northern Ireland being treated more like colonies, instead of the country/province that they supposedly are?

“Britons would vote 52 to 48 percent in favor of remaining in the European Union were there to be another Brexit referendum”
    [Reuters, 27 Sept 2018]

“Brexit support plummets in Northern Ireland as 69% back remain”
    [Independent, 21 May 2018]

“66% of Scottish voters (excluding don’t knows) support staying in the EU”
    [The Guardian, 15 Aug 2018]

zerosum
    Participant

@ PlanetaryCitizen

I’m guessing ….
    There will be unexpected changes in acceptable social behavior.

When it comes to Trump, I can’t keep on repeating ad nauseum that I don’t think he should be president, he’s a lousy choice. But he has a role to play: expose American politics for what it is. If that is not enough I’m sorry. For those who follow me I think it’s obvious that it was the one-sided coverage of him that started to irk me two years ago and made me pick a different, neutral, position. The anti-Trump media campaign is as obvious as the anti-Corbyn one in the UK: don’t you dare not agreeing with the NYT, WaPo, MSNBC, BBC, Guardian. That makes me very uncomfortable. As does the Kavanaugh coverage. We should form our own opinions, not let someone else do that for us. And unless you follow FOX or Infowars, that opinion of yours is indeed pre-packaged. Not good, I find. There is a big difference between supporting Trump and riding the anti-Trump train that the hearings were yet another example of. Take a good look at who’s on the other side of the chasm. And I understand it’s hard to process that the NYT and WaPo are no longer credible sources of news or information. But they’re not, and I don’t like that anymore than you do.

MoFlora
    Participant

@PlanetaryCitizen

Well said. Thank you.

@ Ilargi
    Just because people disagree with you does not make them dupes of the Washington Post or NY Times. Many people who despise Trump, such as myself, do so because they see the adverse effects of his policies on the ground every day. He is a tool of the dirtiest poisoning industries that exist in this nation. The effects of his environmental policies will be with us longer than any Supreme Court Justice.

sumac.carol
    Participant

I guess the problem I have with much of the discussion of American politics is that the disgust towards Trump (which I share in many ways) is not paired with an acknowledgement of the contributions of Obama and other prior leaders who seem to have created the angst and inequality which enabled Trump (and similar populist leaders around the globe) to gain ascendency. Too much focus on the now and not enough focus on how we got here. There are Trumps popping up everywhere. We need to understand why.

chettt
    Participant

After the outrageous abuse of power displayed by the Republicans toward Merrick Garland nomination it’s hard for me to point a disdainful finger at the Dems for their behavior. Frankly I think they’re completely justified in blocking any Republican nominee and I hope they’re successful and that they will take back the senate and stall the next SC appointment until after the 2020 election.
    As to the current circus, let’s face it, it’s Clarence Thomas ver2.0. He said, she said and seemingly no way to prove it one way or the other. Tie goes to the accused on this point but maybe he displayed enough of his dickish temperament and political bias to disqualify him but probably not. Odds are he’ll be on the court and be our second SC justice with an “ * “ after his name.
    Throughout this entire process there’s been one aspect that has consumed my thinking and that is “Lifetime Appointment”. I know that there’s a lot of smart people that believe that our current technological base civilization is primed for a major reset back to a simpler, less populated time but, what if the extreme doesn’t happen and we continue on our exponential growth in technology? Well BioTech is one area that I invest in and follow closely the emerging technologies and the ever increasing understanding of cellular biology and I’m quite certain that in the near future humans will live well past 150 and have their biological brains and bodies reset, restored and rejuvenated back to the equivalent of their healthy mid 30s state. Biological immortality may take a little longer but it also seems inevitable.
    While it may be a little too late for judges like Ginsberg to take advantage of these new technologies, Kavanaugh is the prime age for the coming rejuvenation proceedures and could likely serve on the supreme court for 50, 60, 70 years or more. Does anybody really think that the founding fathers would approve?

Patricia
    Participant

Well my post put a cat among the pigeons! All I can respond to is what I have read. Ms Ford has not said she was raped, she said she thought he might. She did not go to the police at the time and now she goes to Congress!! Where is the rule of law in all this. Me thinks it all sounds political. There are many people, men and women, who like to think of themselves as victims and go over and over things that happened to them. And those ‘things’ get very much enlarged. Who among us all has not thought of doing something bad but did not proceed.

zerosum
    Participant

Here is another input to the discussion

Will ‘God’ Save Kavanaugh?

Will ‘God’ Save Kavanaugh?
    “The Jesuits encouraged us to think of ourselves — each one of us — as exceptional, down to the last man, so to speak. It was Lake Wobegone on steroids. We had been pre-selected to become the future leaders of the sole exceptional country in the world — an ethos that prevails, in spades, at Georgetown Prep.”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.