Debt Rattle September 4 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 4 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

John Vachon Houses in Atlanta, Georgia May 1938 • A Global Deleveraging On A Scale The World Has Never Experienced (CNBC) • Foreigners Flee Japan Stoc
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 4 2015]

Nassim
    Participant

Clearly, we are out of sync in the southern hemisphere. Really cold July and August. Here are some articles:

“Sydney weather: Coldest spell in 26 years and more chilly mornings ahead”

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-weather-coldest-spell-in-26-years-and-more-chilly-mornings-ahead-20150803-giqaui.html

“A fantastic finale to the Tasmanian snow season”
    https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/a-fantastic-finale-to-the-tasmanian-snow-season/359303

“Melbourne weather: Coldest winter in 26 years keeps a tight grip on city”

https://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-weather-coldest-winter-in-26-years-keeps-a-tight-grip-on-city-20150831-gjbhkc.html

Enjoy your summer up north – while it lasts. 🙂

rapier
    Participant

Unless there is a picture the vast majority of Americans, or maybe it’s all people I don’t know, are incapable of imagining the ravages of war. Nothing is cheaper than mourning one dead child because there is a picture while the US has done absolutely nothing to prevent war in the Middle East and in fact everything possible to bring it on. All with a huge plurality of support for it.

In an extra sickening display today’s online NY Times allows that Syria is a mess and “A rising tide of Syrian refugees would sooner or later head for Europe. Yet little was done in Western capitals to stop or mitigate the slow-motion disaster that was befalling Syrian citizens and sending them on the run.” No shit Sherlock and where was the NY TImes by the way?

No pictures of dead Ukrainan babies or the million refugees by the way there so you can count on them continuing to support the ‘war’ against those ‘terroists’ in the Donbass.

9/11 was a teeny tiny speck of the human suffering that came after. Not that the US is responsible for all of it but certainly a lot of it and it has certainly been guilty ignoring the human cost and doing nothing to alleviate it.

And then there is America’s love of bombing cities, civilians. Everyone just loves it. So clean. Death by remote control. No messy beheadings like the savages. As long as there are no pictures of the headless babys, and there never are, Americans can pretend we are pure.

phil harris
    Participant

Heading South? Through Iraq? Saudi Arabia?

From Medecin Sans Frontiere
    “In just 100 days, MSF has rescued 11,482 people who have risked their lives crossing the Mediterranean. The survivors of a capsized boat also tell us about their treacherous crossing and why they made the journey.

“In Yemen, MSF is witnessing “one of the worst conflicts” it has seen, according to Dr Tammam Aloudat, as fighting between armed groups intensifies.

Note: I was an internal refugee as a small child in WWII; we were called ‘evacuees’.

Phil

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

Cold up north here, two winters in a row. Not just winter cold, but like winters returning to the 1880-1940 cold. But since that’s actually the long-term average, maybe the climate is normalizing. Certainly seems so here. I haven’t see a normal summer since this whole thing began about 1990, and it’s great to see.

“Humanitarian Crisis”?? Like a natural disaster, act of God, no one could see it coming? Or you could tell the truth and say, “we love to bomb the —– out of other people and the refugees are a direct result of our violent, irresponsible, totally illegal actions. …Looking at you, Britain, France, Italy, and the base and center they were mostly flown out of, Germany. It’s not a “Humanitarian Crisis” first. It’s a “we bombed our neighbors and it caught our own house on fire” thing. But to avoid using words keeps the war going. And who doesn’t love that? Right?

Whats with the discrepancy of 32,000 vs 800,000 refugees in the two articles? That’s an entire German city every YEAR. Filled with non-Germans, or non-Europeans. Yes, at 800,000 and counting you’re going to have severe stress and social problems regardless of what you do. And that seems to be the more likely number, not 0.068% They’re talking their book, picking numbers to make their case?

TheTrivium4TW
    Participant

Where was TAE when this immigrant situation could have been avoided?

Libya: the West and al-Qaeda on the same side
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8391632/Libya-the-West-and-al-Qaeda-on-the-same-side.html
    The Debt-Money Monopolists have an obvious agenda to destabibilize the Middle East, overwhelm bankrupt Western nations with immigrants, set up police states in Western nations, to provoke cultural division within the nations, and to provoke Russia into some kind of confrontation.
    All this just ahead of their ENGINEERED debt-money Ponzi collapse.
    Why?
    Forcing the effects of the Debt-Money Monopolist agenda is their plan.
    Addressing the Debt-Money Monopolists as the ROOT CAUSE is what they don’t want.

Greenpa
    Participant

rapier: “And then there is America’s love of bombing cities, civilians. Everyone just loves it. So clean. Death by remote control.”

Just in case you are not already aware (I would bet you are, though) – the US military has been intimately involved in the design and distribution of video games- for decades. With the specific goals of both training kids to accurately use video pointers, and to get them used to the idea that “this is just a game”. Then they put the top video players to flying armed drones, and inside tanks- etc. This is not random paranoia; this has been documented.

My own guess for the very high suicide rate among US soldiers these days – they kill by remote control – but it eventually dawns on them they are killing actual people – and is horrifies them They also find out there are no sane reasons why they are doing this – and it destroys them.

Greenpa
    Participant

“But at the end of the day, when faced with actually doing it, most hippies opt out because it turns out to be just too hard.”

I have a different view on the problem. It isn’t that “it’s too hard”; in fact many young folks launching into these kinds of farms (I run one) enjoy the daily hard work.

There are two major reasons they fail (and they often do). A) they got into it armed with vast enthusiasms. But the directions and practices they are steered into are far too often simply bullshit. The field is full of charlatans, who will take your money for “classes” – and never actually operate a farm as they teach- profitably. There are people who are not charlatans, to be sure. But they are often less “flashy”; and the young folks are just like those enthusiastic for Trump at the moment; they really want a loud iconoclast to follow.

And B) this kind of agriculture is a life-long endeavor and career. In 10 years – you’ll still be doing the same work- with the same very slim results- and it dawns on people this is not going to be exciting, it’s going to be work. Many people bail out at that point; marriages and partnerships disintegrate.

There are, I can tell you, a growing number of people to do understand this, and are actually looking for the lifetime from the outset. But they’re quiet, and outnumbered by the charlatans; who reproduce freely. Con games have always been an easy way to make a living; and running a con is more “exciting” than just farming.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

rapier,

Truth is the first casualty of war. To counter the photo of a dead immigrant child on a beach, a rival political operator could, media willing, produce and circulate a photo of a child murdered by a refugee allowed legal status.

The trick is not to be lured in by the propaganda.

And, as always, when the elephants wrestle, the grass suffers, along with the truth.

phil harris
    Participant

I think it is a good idea to support MSF with what we can afford. There is a UK campaign starting where some local authorities are declaring that we will accept regugees.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Greenpa,

Some of the large scale corporate farmers I know freely admit they farm the government. They also acknowledge an unwritten policy of stepping on the competition while they are still ants.

One of these big “Starving Farmers” I heard of even had a full time mechanic crew specifically to work on his tractor used in “Tractor Pull Competition.” Also subsidized, no doubt.

Ah, the wonders of government protection.

On what constitutes an organic farm, one might want to talk to a professional Pesticide Applicator if he can find one who will speak off record. I know of one who works for an international chemical supplier who claims the lions share of his business is certified organic farms.

Humm, definitions established using the same semantics .gov is famous for? What the meaning of is, is, and such. But then, who does the FDA really represent?

Kerry Wilson
    Participant

Greenpa — Any references to your claims about the US Military’s involvement in the design and distribution of video games?

Kerry Wilson
    Participant

Professorlocknload — re: “On what constitutes an organic farm, one might want to talk to a professional Pesticide Applicator if he can find one who will speak off record. I know of one who works for an international chemical supplier who claims the lions share of his business is certified organic farms.”

There’s a misconception here. Organic farms do in fact use pesticides. The question turns on the nature of the pesticides used. Generally, those used on organic farms are derived strictly from natural sources.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

One might suppose oil is as organic as it gets.

rapier
    Participant

Any type of commune is almost certain to fail in the US. Most other places too but especially here. To choose a word a commune might be called a tribe and tribes just don’t happen spontaneously. It’s hard enough to get along with families living in close quarters or in situations with interlocking dependencies, much less an ad hoc one like some sort of communal arrangement. For better or for worse the modern world and further back the American way of life has always been arranged so that such dependencies are reduced to a minimum and that is all bound up with the American concepts of freedom and individuality. Actually that kind of freedom and individuality has terrible costs, that is if you think the American way of life is sort of nuts. As most here surely do.

Of course in the heydays of hippie communes the main objection was how they were communistic and wouldn’t work because of the resentments against the slackers but the worst problem really was just getting along with each other.

I thought back around 75 the whole commune thing was way too early. I think these sorts or social arrangements will only work by necessity, not choice.

Professorlocknload
    Participant
    Greenpa
    Participant

Kerry – just google “military design of video games”. (first one is mil prop)

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/playing-war-how-the-military-uses-video-games/280486/

Greenpa
    Participant

rapier: “To choose a word a commune might be called a tribe and tribes just don’t happen spontaneously.”

A useful and accurate description- and also one with very useful and abundant scientific study of extant successful “tribes”. A) they are structured. B) there is a hierarchy of authority, in long-term existence, and long mutually agreed to. Long as in; many human generations.

No structure, no hierarchy -> rapid collapse. New structure, new hierarchy created last year-> incredibly difficult to hold together until it matures and is truly agreed to.

Absolute authoritarian religious communes- can last for centuries easily, millennia, sometimes. Communes based on individual freedom- show me one.

Greenpa
    Participant

Perfesser; I know some of those farmers, too. One told me: “If you’re not making huge profits from all the government programs- you’re just plain stupid.” Food? Not part of the equations.

Most of the people now on the forefront of “real” farming, for lack of a better phrase- are no longer interested in the organic label – it has become meaningless; at best. Big commercial “organic” operations are very cynical about staying within the letter of the laws they had written for them – which completely subvert the original ideas. My own labels say “Beyond Organic”, which is both true, and easily commands the same premium price. Because my customers know me.

Kerry Wilson
    Participant

Professorlocknload — Some oils to be sure. Organic Horticultural Mineral oils, for example, are often used on fruits, especially over winter and early in the season. They typically act by smothering the insects rather than poisoning them. They’re also effective against fungal infection.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.