Putin has Europe over a barrel again

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum TAE Blog Energy Putin has Europe over a barrel again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wp_admin
    Keymaster

[article]142[/article]

yapeen

Not sure where to place this in the new website so moderators please move if needed.

In the interests of meeting real people to build community, does anyone need a lift from Castlemaine/Guildford to Daylesford next week the Thursday 16th for Nicoles talk?

[email protected]

yapeen

I have put this in the proper place – TAE > main forum > lifeboat >community

Should there be a link to the main forum off the main page? or is that were the lifeboat link will go that currently has a 404?

John Day
    Participant

Aloha Y’all,
    Russia blames Ukraine, and Ukraine blames Russia for gas shortages to Austria and Italy over aged pipeline in the bitterest part of Winter, when all parties are using more (“fungible”) natural gas, and nobody wants to be blamed…
    I don’t think Putin has anybody over a barrel. It’s just how things go.
    Russian strategic interest is in building a better relationship with neighbors (Europe and China). Europe may have a stressed relationship with “Anglo-American banking” very soon, and Russia will serve strategic intersts best by being a friend through that harsh time.
    Putin is no dope. This is a time to feed Europe more rope, not jerk it back hard.

Avery

John Day post=55 wrote: Aloha Y’all,
    Russia blames Ukraine, and Ukraine blames Russia for gas shortages to Austria and Italy over aged pipeline in the bitterest part of Winter, when all parties are using more (“fungible”) natural gas, and nobody wants to be blamed…
    I don’t think Putin has anybody over a barrel. It’s just how things go.
    Russian strategic interest is in building a better relationship with neighbors (Europe and China). Europe may have a stressed relationship with “Anglo-American banking” very soon, and Russia will serve strategic intersts best by being a friend through that harsh time.
    Putin is no dope. This is a time to feed Europe more rope, not jerk it back hard.

Nassim
    Participant

The tendency of people in the West to compare Russian leaders with American ones is somewhat depressing. Putin is entirely different from Obama, Bush 2, Clinton, Bush 1, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy …

The Russians are always thinking a few steps ahead and they are not unduly influenced by short-term factors. The idea that Putin is putting pressure on Europe by reducing gas supply is nonsense. He has no earthly reason to put pressure on the Italians, Greeks, Germans and so on. It is a bit like playing chess using the Queen for most moves – silly.

vangoat

Hi Nicole, good you have yesterdays site problems solved but one problem I have is that the greyed comments are hard for these old eyes. Any chance you can do them in solid black. If there is a need to differentiate between the article and the commentary possibly the use of Italics or a font change for one? Thanks.

vangoat

Oh I see it comes up in black when you hit ‘read more’. Swell!

vangoat

“Russia will enjoy yanking Europe’s chain from time to time in order to make sure that power is well understood..”

Would you say to Iran’s enjoyment as well? B)

Nassim
    Participant

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/death-toll–tops-400-in-europes-big-freeze-20120208-1raq5.html

Like I said earlier, it is unreal to expect Russia to increase gas supply by anything like that – consumers are supposed to get excess gas during summer and use it in the winter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.