The Trial of Winnie the Pooh

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum The Trial of Winnie the Pooh

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Banksy       I can’t NOT do something with a piece my long time friend Jim Kunstler wrote recently, see below, since he so completely e
    [See the full post at: The Trial of Winnie the Pooh]

madamski cafone
    Participant

I would feel a tad embarrased about the winnie burlesque if I were Kunstler too. Not that it isn’t marvelous, but it bites off more than almost anyone could possibly chew. So, even tho Kafka’s cockroach as atty is brilliant, it’s also too much. Can’t be helped. There isn’t a lens large enough to handle all that much without some carnival distortion. Well done, James.

madamski cafone
    Participant

“Art is the ultimate expression of what the human mind is capable of, other than love and compassion. ”

That sentence deserves a medal.

Kunstler:

Raul—
    Thanks for highlighting my burlesque on ol’ Winnie the P (as we call him in the US Lit mafia). Much appreciate the moral support and kudos, since (probably like yourself to some degree) I often feel that I write in a vacuum.
    Yeah, no sooner did I roll out Winnie, than the Loony Tunes crew was dragged into the Wokester star chamber. Is it not self-evident that the Warner cartoons were quite violent and sadistic, and that is what made them funny to children? I refer you to that old Samuel Beckett quote: “Nothing is funnier than unhappiness.”
    These mooks of Wokery don’t seem to get that comedy is all about what makes us uncomfortable.
    The worm is turning. America is good and goddam sick of getting hustled and maumaued.

Thanks again and keep-er goin’ ! ! !

ctbarnum
    Participant

I can think, and I don’t need or want you to think for me.

This right here is exactly what these school marms of cancel culture need every time they open their mouths. It cannot be said enough. because that is the ultimate aim of canceling. The notion they believe they need to tell us what to think is ludicrous on its face, and in the case of corporate media behind paywalls, I’m certainly NOT going to pay for the “privilege.”

Susmarie108
    Participant

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.” —Winnie the Pooh

I am lamenting (in typical Eeyore fashion) the establishment of something currently labeled as “Cancel Culture”. It has been packaged into a “thing”, and is now being used as a weapon of mass destruction and division. Cancel Culture as a “thing” – is more dangerous, destructive, and deadly than the thingish things that the Cancellers are screaming must be cancelled. Listening to FOX News you might think that EVERYTHING is at risk of being cancelled and you are directed to be afraid, and upset about what you have lost and angry at those who are behind it. Their rants on Cancelling are no different than Orwell’s Two Minutes of Hate.

It’s all so black and white don’t you know!?! Come on…six Dr. Seuss books are being recalled and not cancelled by the Foundation responsible for RESPONSIBLY shepherding the Seuss legacy into the future. Look how fast the entire episode became framed as another Cancel Culture attack by the Wokesters. Why did it not become a feature story about what’s changed in the world and how/why these editions are being shelved? Yes it is far MOAR attractive to generate anger and hate, and the Viewers just can’t get enough! Viewers thrive on it and so does FOX. WINNING all around. (Will stop, am heading into Dr D territory here).

What ever happened to good old TOLERANCE? Let’s get things out into the open and look at them TOGETHER. Even Pooh knew.

Way back in 1997 my Alma Mater Miami University (Oxford Ohio) changed its mascot from Redskins to Redhawks. They didn’t need Cancel Culture, Wokesters, or Karens to make them do it. They did it out of RESPECT and in response to a request from the local Miami Tribe. This is how tolerance works – it gets negotiated between the parties of two sides/minds.

Side note: Same thing goes for WOKE. It has been hijacked and turned into another weapon. How dare those nasty Wokesters – pushing us around and ruining everything by telling us all how to live. Yep, it’s more false choices….Us against Them. Winners and Losers. Hey, how about a little UNDERSTANDING here? Name calling and pointing fingers, that’s just so elementary. Even HUMBLE Bear brains can comprehend it. Open your Pooh Hearts and invite some COMPASSION inside for a little chat.

ezlxa1949
    Participant

The past is another country. They do things differently there.

ezlxa1949
    Participant

Quite a few years ago the BBC made a drama series about the consequences of a fascist government in Britain having been freely voted into office by a populace fed up with the chaos and confusion of democratic politics. I forget what it was called; I think it was released towards the end of the Thatcher era.

Looks like a fascist government is well on the rise in Britain today, freely accepted by if not specifically voted in by a populace confused and frightened by the chaos and confusion wrought by this virus.

V. Arnold
    Participant

…oh dear; how far we’ve fallen…
    …and the bottom is nowhere in sight…
    Such excellence is a rarity these days; thanks Jim & Ilargi…

V. Arnold
    Participant

The other day I was lamenting the flatlined donations to Ilargi’s TAE; looking at Jims Patreon and Dmitry’s also (both well over $3,000/mos), leaves me dumbfounded as to why Ilargi cannot get over the mid $700/mos.
    The quality of the writing and content here certainly deserve more than $700/mos.
    And remember; Ilargi posts every bloody day…
    …onward and upward ho…!!!!

WES
    Participant

Just like we shouldn’t forget leg hold traps.
    Oh, I forgot! They cancelled them!
    So now we don’t need to feel guilty about them because they never existed in the first place!
    I think I am getting the hang of this “cancel” business!

I see joe sure has the hang of this cancel business!
    He just cancelled the DofD’s Pentagon!
    They are “the thing” now!

madamski cafone
    Participant

@ V. Arnold

“The other day I was lamenting the flatlined donations to Ilargi’s TAE; looking at Jims Patreon and Dmitry’s also (both well over $3,000/mos), leaves me dumbfounded as to why Ilargi cannot get over the mid $700/mos.The quality of the writing and content here certainly deserve more than $700/mos.”

Kuntsler has a NYTimes bestseller rep bolstering him. Dmitry has a carefully calibrated angle that speaks uncannily well to current times. Both indulge heavily in almost panting sweaty sarcastic irony, and both in their way are authors of uncommon polish and power although both succumb to sophomoric tendnecies (which probably is part of their mrket pull, btw).

Ilargi is not high-voltage in his sarcasm and irony. It’s not his thing. Worse, he is not sophomoric. He relies more on fact and straightforward linear analysis of developing trends rather than forming an identifiable, um, conspiracy theory paradigm while showing off his second and third order logicabilities. This is wiser, imo, when discussing chaotically emerging trends like now, especially among people who already know its fundamental drivers. We tend to lose track of the direct linear while following implications and implications of implications. He’s not afraid to make predictions but he doesn’t present his stuff as such, as a series of wagers, like the Orlov and Kunstler do, which probably hurts him because this is less contentious and contention makes clicks happen.

I hate to say it, but I think that Dmitry’s teaser model has merit in this case. Raul being as much an aggregator as content writer, applying that tactic would be different here. But I think it’s worth a bit of brain-chewing. I know this: people don’t really appreciate a thing until it’s taken away to at least some extent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.