What the hell has happened to TAE?

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Open Comments What the hell has happened to TAE?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    deflationista
    Participant

No recent blog activity.

Previous articles disappearing.

El G gone.

New clunky interface.

Please I&S, come back soon.

ben

Bot Blogger

Perhaps Ash could write a posting about the limits of complexity in the blog-o-sphere, when attempting to transition from a linear entity to an asyncronous data centric model. Expounding on how the ties-that-bind are stretched through this multiplex of perception, to the point of abstraction. How said abstraction within the context of a thermodynamic universe ultimately ends in an entopic dispersion of consciousness accumulation. He might also contrast and compare the non-linear structure of database forums, which are in effect museums of thought, with a linear structure of temporal communal congruity and awareness that comes with a model based on a singular now.

Sorry Ash to take the piss at your expense. I’m just having a little fun. I liked your Thanatos piece. I think what’s missing more than anything else is fun, Gravity, El G, TAE Summary, oh yeah and Stonleigh and Illargi. (where are they btw?)

deflationista
    Participant

Remember the not so distant past when there was a vibrant community of discussion? Now, the most recent reader posts are the one’s in response to my original posting. The next recent is about one day ago. I used to love checking in on the comments section throughout the day back when this site existed elsewhere.

Now the regulars are gone. Or perhaps lurking.

The hosts are down under.

Ash is probably overwhelmed or out of topics.

And we loyal readers are left with a ghost town.

Is there something wrong with this site? Maybe there is a glitch?

Or is this blog dying?

Mike

I miss the old blog, I would sign up for a twice a week post from Ilargi in a heartbeat.. sprinkle in some Ash..

But I miss the comments the most..

this place is just not the same

can we go back to blogger?

Yes, this site seems to be failing. It is sad! I miss the old site layout, but was looking forward to this site, as the thought of the lifeboat forum was fun. I always enjoyed reading about snuffy and his bees, El Gal and his gallivanting around the continent, and all the others that talked about their homesteads, their food preservation, solar and water setup, etc. And I was excited that they would be in one forum of easy to follow topics, instead of sprinkled over days and days of conversation. But someone let off an atom bomb in here!

🙁

Guess I will just go clean out my bank account and hunker down.

ashvin
    Participant

I was grinding out the tables at AC for the last five days, which is why daily content dropped off. That’s what I do most nights and weekends – play poker. I got debts that still need to be paid off! And it’s one of the few things, if not only thing, that I’m good at, is within my ethical boundaries and leaves me some free time during the daytime to write. I probably shouldn’t have up and left for a week without a mumbling word, so I apologize for doing so.

re: the real subject of this thread

To be perfectly honest, I view TAE as only three things (above and beyond a platform for the views of I&S).

First, a venue to express my somewhat customized perspective on what is happening in the world, namely in terms of economics/finance. Second, a way of alerting as many people as possible to the great monetary/physical/mental risks we face in upcoming years, so they are not caught completely off guard. Most of you regulars understandably don’t find much added value in that goal, but it’s one of the most important ones for me. Lastly, TAE is an online community in which people can carry on various discussions, garner psychological support and generally have a “good time”. The last one is a nice thing to have, but one that doesn’t concern me too much.

The one thing TAE is not for me, unlike Ilargi, is a business. That’s my luxury, and his curse. We are all equally critical of our money-oriented, greed-filled society, but he is still required to put A LOT of effort into making TAE a profitable operation. I, on the other hand, really don’t care if the “customers” are comfortable and happy. I want people to keep reading, and I will do anything within my power to make the site more user-friendly and agreeable, but I won’t ever apologize for what I do here or re-think why I do it.

I just go with the flow these days, and try to be grateful that I have a chance to help others in this unique way, during these trying times. Hopefully it works out, but it might not. Nothing is certain and many things are outside of our control. Maybe this is one of those things, maybe it isn’t. It’s only been a few months since the new site went up, so I’m pretty sure people will eventually get used to it and be satisfied with the way things are, whatever that ends up being.

So those are my thoughts on this issue, and that’s the last you will hear from me about it.

ben

ashvin post=2300 wrote: I was grinding out the tables at AC for the last five days, which is why daily content dropped off. That’s what I do most nights and weekends – play poker. I got debts that still need to be paid off! And it’s one of the few things, if not only thing, that I’m good at, is within my ethical boundaries and leaves me some free time during the daytime to write. I probably shouldn’t have up and left for a week without a mumbling word, so I apologize for doing so.

re: the real subject of this thread

To be perfectly honest, I view TAE as only three things (above and beyond a platform for the views of I&S).

First, a venue to express my somewhat customized perspective on what is happening in the world, namely in terms of economics/finance. Second, a way of alerting as many people as possible to the great monetary/physical/mental risks we face in upcoming years, so they are not caught completely off guard. Most of you regulars understandably don’t find much added value in that goal, but it’s one of the most important ones for me. Lastly, TAE is an online community in which people can carry on various discussions, garner psychological support and generally have a “good time”. The last one is a nice thing to have, but one that doesn’t concern me too much.

The one thing TAE is not for me, unlike Ilargi, is a business. That’s my luxury, and his curse. We are all equally critical of our money-oriented, greed-filled society, but he is still required to put A LOT of effort into making TAE a profitable operation. I, on the other hand, really don’t care if the “customers” are comfortable and happy. I want people to keep reading, and I will do anything within my power to make the site more user-friendly and agreeable, but I won’t ever apologize for what I do here or re-think why I do it.

I just go with the flow these days, and try to be grateful that I have a chance to help others in this unique way, during these trying times. Hopefully it works out, but it might not. Nothing is certain and many things are outside of our control. Maybe this is one of those things, maybe it isn’t. It’s only been a few months since the new site went up, so I’m pretty sure people will eventually get used to it and be satisfied with the way things are, whatever that ends up being.

So those are my thoughts on this issue, and that’s the last you will hear from me about it.

appreciate the candor, man. i feel you. fo sho. it’s the nature of the beast.

The role of consciousness in decision making is also being clarified: some thinkers have suggested that it mostly serves to cancel certain actions initiated by the unconscious

ashvin post=2300 wrote:

I’ve been resisting the temptation to drop in on this thread here on TAE until now, even though I have made mention of the problems TAE is having on the Diner. Now that Ashvin has expressed his opinion and rationale, I’m going to state my opinion here.

First off, since this is a Bizness Proposition for Ilargi and Stoneleigh as well as simply a place to publish their ideas, I cannot understand why they would let it descend into the kind of chaos it is currently experiencing. The Globe Trotting in Oz is not a good excuse, I travel plenty and always take my Laptop with me, and even in fucking Siberia these days you can get an internet connection every couple of days or so to check in. There also is always plenty of material to write about when you are on the road, since you see new things all the time. If either of them wanted to keep Blogging, they are perfectly capable of doing so and there is no dearth of material out there to blog on every day.

They left the blog to Ashvin to maintain during their absence, and he explains clearly enough in the above paragraph his attitude here. He’s not going to be apologetic for whatever he writes, and he’s not going to make adjustments to it either. He’s just blogging his thoughts, and any blogger is always free to do that, as long as said blogger doesn’t CARE whether there is readership of his blog or not.

The result of all this along with the format change in the comment area has been to radically change the spin and “feel” of TAE, and “Old Timers” are expressing their dissatisfaction with that. It takes a long time to build up a readership base on a Blog, but you can turn off that base in a mighty big hurry also.

TAE has been an important Blog here over the last 4 years since the 2008 Financial Collapse, but it is now IN TROUBLE for numerous reasons, and it is by no means all Ashvin’s “fault” here. Stoneleigh and Ilargi also must bear responsibility for this, and if they do not show up in here soon to reasure their readership and get things back on track, TAE will LOSE what they worked so hard to build here.

On other topics, I find it fascinating that Ash is currently making a living at the Poker Table, and also wonder if he’ll ever get round to the Geotectonic Heat Transfer Theory alternative to AGW?

RE

Golden Oxen
    Participant

@ RE Thanks, Would not even try to improve or add a thing to your most perceptive comments. TAE has been placed on my back burner of sites visited for your stated reasons, and will remain there no matter if S&I return or not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.