Debt Rattle April 27 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 27 2018

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Edward Curtis Red Hawk 1905   • Moon and Kim’s Unprompted DMZ Dance (AFP) • Sophisticated North Korean Diplomacy Rewards Kim Jong-un (Pieraccini)
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 27 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

A great photograph; what’s even better is the portfolio of Curtis’ work. Just click the picture to get it.
    A great gift, thanks Ilargi.

North Korea’s coming to the peace table is wonderful; breakers ahead with a lee shore; the U.S. will be a huge obstacle to peace.
    And, as many have pointed out there is Iran; the latest example of the historically long list of broken treaties… 🙁

Yeah, Trump for Nobel. Moon will share probably. If that tunnel has really collapsed, and it looks that way, Kim gets a lot for giving up nothing.

EU countries have just voted to ban neonicotinoids. Step 1. They can still be used in greenhouses, and not all of them are banned, likely because some have not been tested yet. Time for the precautionary principle.

Still, encouraging.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Ugh! What a thought. That would just further devalue the Nobel; but, we’re far from there at this time, IMO.
    Not to be pedantic, but; I see a lee shore with breakers ahead…
    For that, you need a vessel that can sail well into the wind.
    We’ll see, no?

Banning nicotinoids is encouraging…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Oops; make that; neonicotinoids 😉 Above

We had wild Asian honey bees nest in our mango trees every year until last year and this year; no nests.
    Those bees do move around from year to year, but the last 2 there have been fewer bees.
    I love honey bees and wild Asian honey bees are very friendly and gentle; crawl all over my hands and I make sure there is a shallow dish with water for them.

Trump tweet just now:

Please do not forget the great help that my good friend, President Xi of China, has given to the United States, particularly at the Border of North Korea. Without him it would have been a much longer, tougher, process!

Cue Kanye for the beat.

Ian Bremmer just said that Trump deserves all the credit. Who’s next?

Not giving the Nobel to Trump would be worse than giving it to Obama. Possible escape: Nobel committee just announced Literature Prize 2018 may not be awarded due to some sex scandal. Ergo…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Not giving the Nobel to Trump would be worse than giving it to Obama.
    Now that’s difficult to argue, so I won’t try.

Possible escape: Nobel committee just announced Literature Prize 2018 may not be awarded due to some sex scandal.

So, they’re no longer an invertebrate? 😉

Sorry, I for one have lost all respect for that organisation/body of humans.
    It seems there is nothing sacrosanct left…

zerosum
    Participant

Let’s not make fake news. Here is the info from the horses mouth.
    Yes, there will be a valid nomination for those signing a peace treaty for north and south Korea.
    https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

Members of national assemblies and national governments (cabinet members/ministers) of sovereign states as well as current heads of states

Members of The International Court of Justice in The Hague and The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague

Members of Institut de Droit International

University professors, professors emeriti and associate professors of history, social sciences, law, philosophy, theology, and religion; university rectors and university directors (or their equivalents); directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes

Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

Members of the main board of directors or its equivalent for organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

Current and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee (proposals by current members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after 1 February)

Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee

Deadline for Nominations
    Nomination deadline is 31 January at 12 midnight CET. Nominations which do not meet the deadline are normally included in the following year’s assessment. Members of the Nobel Committee are entitled to submit their own nominations as late as at the first meeting of the Committee after the expiry of the deadline.

Dr. D
    Participant

So there are zero writers on planet earth to give the prize to now?

Makes as much sense as anything the West does.

SteveB
    Participant

Rooftop solar just isn’t worth mentioning, apparently. That would spoil the whole image.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Not seeing evidence of why the wife of an accused sex abuser shouldn’t be on the Nobel committee, as claimed by the three members who resigned in protest. Guilt by association?

If your slimy spouse cheats on you, then you’ve done something wrong? Spouses of American politicians and entertainment figures might be interested.

teri
    Participant

Seriously, Ilargi, do you think Trump deserves a Nobel Prize? He has done nothing to encourage peace anywhere on the planet and has been threatening NK with nuclear annihilation since he took office. Any good that happens in the Korean peninsula comes despite Trump and the US. I cannot believe people are suggesting Trump deserves any credit at all, much less the peace prize.

All credit must go to Moon Jae-In and his staff.

Geez, the universe has gone mad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.