Debt Rattle August 13 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 13 2018

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Vincent van Gogh The yellow house (The Street), Arles 1888   • Turkey Central Bank To Take ‘All Necessary Measures’ For Stability (AFP) • Turkey
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 13 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Eric Zuesse certainly got to the core of the Iran deal debacle.
    Elegant and thus simple.
    Michael Maloof, a former senior security policy analyst in the Office of the Secretary of Defense believes Trump is not in control of his administration.
    Not to beg the obvious; I agree.
    https://russia-insider.com/en/latest-sanctions-against-russia-show-trump-not-control-his-administration/ri24424

IMO, it’s never been this blatant before; but there’s the power behind the curtin; not unlike in The Wizard of Oz; except far more ominous…

V. Arnold
    Participant

How long was van Gogh in the sanitarium in Arles?
    The perspective looks off on the left, in the Yellow House.

And what’s with the error crap when I try to post?
    Second time in a row…

V. Arnold
    Participant

^ Oh boy! The above should have been right, right side…NOT LEFT.
    Hey, I’m old… 😉

Van Gogh wanted to start an artists’ community in Arles together with Gauguin. Who did spend some time there, but they had a fall out and would never meet again. Vincent cut off his ear not long after that, IIRC

Since this is in line with what I wrote yesterday, color me unsurprised. Many Greek islands are off the Turkish coast, as per the 1923 Lausanne Treaty. If Erdogan wants to push nationalism -and he does-, this may be his best bet. In essence, the Treaty finally ended the Ottoman Empire, and a lot more territory was lost, but this part is what Turks will be receptive to. One other piece; Turkey ceded all claims to Cyprus. We know how that fared.

Greek Fishermen Accuse Turkish Boats of Opening Fire off Leros Island

Things are moving too fast to keep up. I saw the lira spike -a lot- on apparent news -as per ZH from the US embassy in Ankara-, that the American pastor will be freed from house arrest, but that sure didn’t last long. it’s back at 7:1 vs USD. Rollercoaster.

VietnamVet
    Participant

Eric Zuesse’s analysis is spot on. It’s been over half a century since I was introduced to Keynesian Economics. Since then, Plutocrats’ money and propaganda has jumped the West back to the Gilded Age but without Noblesse oblige. This era’s classic economic theory has no relevance to fiat digital money created by private and central banks. Since the bad debt was never written down after 2008 crash, the economic system is fragile. Even so, the new-autocracy horded assets, increased inequality and forced austerity on the little people. Sooner or later, it all will fall apart. However, weaponizing sanctions and tariffs against Russia, China, Iran and Turkey to bring them to heel may trigger it now. All it takes is Recep Tayyip Erdoğan taking Turkey into the Eurasian Alliance and telling the European Banks to go stuff it. The Holy War that started in 2001 will enlarge, the banking system will crash, and Walmarts empty out. That is if WWIII doesn’t blow up the earth first.

Nassim
    Participant

“they had a fall out”

One version is that it was Gauguin who cut off van Gough’s ear in a sword-fight. He was an accomplished swordsman. And that it was all hushed-up.

Art historians claim Van Gogh’s ear ‘cut off by Gauguin’

anticlimactic
    Participant

TURKEY

Scenario 1 : A very short time after Erdogan suggested joining the BRICS their currency is in freefall and they are facing hyperinflation. They will need to take a loan from the IMF and become another Greece. No doubt a regime change will be needed.

Scenario 2 : Erdogan burns all the bridges to the West. He baits the US to take this action and is prepared for it. Turkish businesses are forced to default on over 500 billion dollars of loans. He leaves NATO, de-dollarises, throws Turkey’s future in with China, Russia and Iran. He uses the chaos to further his control of the country and de-Americanises it. He might also chuck a couple of million Syrian refugees over the border!

The US expect Scenario 1 – they’ve done it before, but Scenario 2 might be the only viable future for Turkey [eventually!]. US actions mean he can say he has been forced in to this course and that he had no choice.

Time will tell!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.