Debt Rattle August 27 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 27 2022

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    D Benton Smith
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of excuses in my day but I’ve got to admit that’s a new one. Moderna’s alibi is that they did it.

John Day
    Participant

@PhoenixVoice: Thanks for the story of indigenous self-government at the level of 20.000 people. It is a lot like Athenian Democracy, though all are free, no slaves.

John Day
    Participant

The student loans are government guarantied, which is to say the government holds the (sucker) borrower forewver responsible to the bak that lent the money. no risk profit for the bank. We pay to enforce it. Let’s not enforce it.
    Let the numbers rack up in a $US global economy that everybody walks away from.
    Got a better plan? It’s happening anyway. Don’t keep feeding the parasites.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

This happens sometimes. It’s a major ingredient in what keeps us alive, keeps us going. It happened to me this morning, and not just in a small bright spark of a way, but more like a small nova of the soul. I met someone and stepped into another world, one where sanity and kindness aggressively prevailed:

Someone Smiling

When it happens, we typically feel empowered to lard obnoxiously excessive encouragement onto others in our determination to convincingly remind them that it can and probably will happen to you too. Again.

But maybe this time you’ll REALLY need it, like I did.

Makes a feller feel blissfully manic.

I love it when that happens.

P.S. So we’re going through a bottleneck dieoff and many, including maybe us, will suffer horribly. Oh well. Let’s not let the future damn the present

Armenio Pereira
    Participant

Humans are in control – that’s why things are going our way…

The Everlasting Dissatisfaction is in control; you can pray, or curse. Regardless, if peace of mind is something you treasure, you can try radical acceptance (“I cannot change how I am and, crucially, others can’t change the way they are.”)

In our path, we sometimes crush an ant or two. Is it because we are cruel? We are just too big and, moreover, we are compelled to keep on moving.
    At some point, The Universe will crush us. Is it cruel, unfair? No, The Everlasting Dissatisfaction is way too big, and it won’t be stopped.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

First they tell everyone that their lives will be shitty from now on, and then they work on systems to repress dissent -more riot police, more control on information, more doubling down on control of media…

Somewhere there’s going to be a smash. Sooner or later a massive breakdown of the economic system.

willem
    Participant

@aspnaz: The stupid idea is giving money to the plebs when they could give it to the billionaires as they usually do.

I think what is missed is that they DID give it to the billionaires again. The student loan bubble was close to bursting–who do you think would be the ones who would really lose money if that happens?

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

Apparently the Russians have changed their battle tactics. No longer do they engage in assaults on well-defended positions which can result in Russian casualties, but have switched to longer range attacks on cannon fodder placed in position by the maniacs in Kiev.

Apparently it goes like this. The Ukrainians move soldiers and equipment to positions just back from the actual contested zones, and the Russians fire artillery and rockets at them and kill a few hundred people and destroy a few dozen military vehicles.

The Ukrainian military commanders then force another lot of fresh cannon fodder into the killing zone.

Presumably the plan is to keep repeating this process until there are no people or vehicles left to send.

Temperatures are starting to drop, and there are certain military objectives the Russian military need to achieve before the winter. In particular, then need to drive the fascists back so that the fascists can no longer attack the nuclear power station. Taking Nykolaiv would also be desirable some time in the next few weeks in order to throttle the vipers in Kiev somewhat faster.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

Many truth bombs about Ukraine and the US involvement/interference in Ukraine here:

Would this student loan “gift” be taxed?

Veracious Poet
    Participant

The sore-beset public will take an inventory of what has been lost and begin reconstructing a scaffold of shared life that rewards fidelity to the way things actually work.

You will not be comfortable, but you will be dauntless. You will certainly not have nothing or be happy about that. You will have, at least, a restored memory of what it was like to strive honorably for a life worth living.

You are brothers and sisters in an enterprise worth saving and you have a history worth defending. Believe it.

I mentioned this a long time back- if you’re going to make a poison, wouldn’t you want an antidote?
    “miRNAs (microRNAs) can bind to target messenger RNA (mRNA) transcripts of protein-coding genes and negatively control their translation or cause mRNA degradation. It is of key importance to identify the miRNA targets accurately.”
    This is from the wiki article.

Farmer McGregor
    Participant

@Germ Wow, You da Man!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you (Thank you cubed) for all your research.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

Pakistan. 45 million people affected by nature’s wrath. How ironic; get onto the motorway for safety:

willem
    Participant

@afewknowthetruth: I’ve been following the Military Summary channel almost since the beginning. This is not a change for Russia; they’ve been doing pretty much the same thing almost since Mariupol (at least). They just shell the hell out of the Ukrainian positions until they destroy them or until they abandon their positions, and then move in when the resistance is essentially gone. The only thing that has really changed recently is that the Ukrainians have gotten a little more insistent on sending fresh troops up to refill the fortifications after the initial ones are killed. So the Russians just “rinse and repeat”.

@MPSK: I read today that yes, indeed, the student loan forgiveness is likely to be considered a taxable event to many recipients.

zerosum
    Participant

The student loan forgiveness is an illusion, its a carrot to get your vote.

Student:
    Where is the application form for my parents to get a $10,000 refund for my education

Bill7
    Participant

At the small apartment complex where I live there is a slightly-raised concrete pad where there used to be a laundry room, delineated with safety stripes so that one does not trip. Yesterday those
    stripes were repainted in #Ukraine colors. Meanwhile, needed repairs here go undone..

The conditioning never does stop.

Michael Reid
    Participant

I have been busy harvesting wood and I am not up to date.

Spartacus is pissed off

From Aug 26, 23 minute listen, Spartacus’s fourth spartacast

https://iceni.substack.com/p/spartacast-04

boscohorowitz
    Participant

I’m gob-smacked. For once, Veracious Poet posted something that wasn’t sneeringly smug and sanctimonious, but actually honest, and meaningfully uplifting:

“The sore-beset public will take an inventory of what has been lost and begin reconstructing a scaffold of shared life that rewards fidelity to the way things actually work.

“You will not be comfortable, but you will be dauntless. You will certainly not have nothing or be happy about that. You will have, at least, a restored memory of what it was like to strive honorably for a life worth living.

“You are brothers and sisters in an enterprise worth saving and you have a history worth defending. Believe it.”

Great Balls of Fire

zerosum
    Participant

Yep! Spartacus is describing our reality that few will identify as facts.

aspnaz
    Participant

Afewknowthetruth said

Pakistan. 45 million people affected by nature’s wrath.

Why wrath? What has flooding got to do with wrath, or do you see this as punishment for treating the earth badly, a sort of looney left karma?

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

willem

‘The only thing that has really changed recently is that the Ukrainians have gotten a little more insistent on sending fresh troops up to refill the fortifications after the initial ones are killed.’

I wonder if you missed the point.

From what I understand about what is being reported, the Russians are increasingly launching attacks deep into Ukrainian-held territory, way behind the fortifications, with the object of starving out those in the heavily fortified positions via lack of food and ammunition.

It is also said that the Russians are no longer considering conscription because they have an excess of volunteers (of the order of 140,0000) who cannot wait to get into Ukrainian-held territory and liberate it.

Most amusing (if you are not a conscript in the Ukrainian army) is that the weapons being sent by the US are inferior to the Soviet-era weapons that the Ukrainians have lost or used up. And the total number of artillery shells is less than what Russia fires in two weeks.

I know there is a huge ‘fog’ when it comes to war but I have learned not to believe a single thing any western politician or western ‘analyst’ says. about the war, or what they say about anything else.

Trust and credibility are at zero.

Bill7
    Participant

Michael Reid said: “I have been busy harvesting wood and I am not up to date.”

A good way to be these days. Sleep well; that’s some real work, there.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

aspnaz

I know its is the game you play, to contradict or question what I write, just for the sake of provoking an argument.

And love just love to thrown in insults and ad hominen attacks. .

Here’s something for you to refute and argue about:

When US dollar system goes under -some time in the next two years- Taiwan, with its 23 million people on a land mass smaller than the North island of NZ will be unable to buy the fossil fuels it needs to keep its transport system running and will be unable to import the massive amount of imported food it needs to feed its populace. Around 22 million people will starve to death.

When the last of the sea ice in the Artic melts and planetary overheating really kicks in, the rise is sea level will inundate the entire coastal plain where all the cities are. (I spent quite a lot of time in Taiwan). That probably won’t matter much because the cities will be largely empty, as a consequence of the starvation..

As the overheating of the Earth generates ever-worse torrential rain episodes, c.f. Pakistan, hillsides in the mountainous region in the centre of the island will collapse and will crush settlements on the hillsides and in the valleys: I saw that kind of thing first when a tropical cyclone during one of my visits.

The population overshoot ‘problem’ will be will solved, and whatever remnant remains alive may be able to scratch a living for a short time, bearing in mind that the waters around Taiwan are so polluted as to support little life.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Afewknowthetruth

When the last of the sea ice in the Artic melts and planetary overheating really kicks in, the rise is sea level will inundate the entire coastal plain where all the cities are.

Surely you meant the Antarctic; and sea ice melting doesn’t raise sea levels; it’s the glaciers on the land melting that cause sea level rise… 😉

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

Considered to be one of the greatest minds of his era. James Lovelock, inventor and genius, wrote this

‘The Revenge of Gaia Earth’s Climate Crisis and The Fate of Humanity’

in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revenge_of_Gaia

Since then, industrial humans have added approximately 800 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere and oceans, via the burning of fossil fuels and conversion of limestone into calcium oxide [for the manufacture of cement].

And aspnaz thinks the term ‘natures wrath’ is harsh???

How about revenge, then, aspnaz?

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

V Arnold.

No, I do mean Artic ice. Obviously you have not been following the science. Most people, even really interested people, don’t follow the science.

Whilst it is true that the loss of sea ice does not alter the depth of the oceans, loss of ice allows more incident sunlight and heat to be absorbed by the waters of the Arctic. Absorbed light ends up as heat.

As long as there is ice present, that additional heat converts ice into water, and temperature of the water does not rise..

When all the ice has melted, the heat absorbed in the Artic manifests as an increase in temperature of the water.

The increased water temperature in the Arctic destablises the methane clathrates that reside on the [shallow] sea floor, causing them to release the methane, potentially as a ‘methane burp’ of enormous size.

With methane having a global warming potential of around 300 times that of CO2 over time frames that matter, this would more than double the rate of overheating of the entire Earth and cause the temperature of the oceans to rise much faster than they already are.

The less ice there is, the more heat is absorbed, melting more ice… a self-reinforcing feedback

I have known about this and written about it since the year 2000, and highlighted the great danger in the book I wrote and published in 2001.

The message does not get through because the controllers -the bankers, the corporations, the fake politicians, the fake media etc. do not want it to get through.

‘The Mechanism leading to Collapse of Civilization and Runaway Global Warming’

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/p/the-mechanism.html

By the way, the Antarctic sea ice cover is at a record minimum.

That is called doubly screwed.

D Benton Smith
    Participant

The question on everyone’s fore-brains (those who have them) is, “When is the collapse, the big smash up, finally going to happen?” Almost everyone feels that it’s real close now. They wanna know, “When do the lights go out? When do the cars stop rolling and the furnaces go cold? When will the taps run dry and mobs riot and genuine starvation begin?” They want an actual date for when the disappearance of all normality will actually take place in a completely non-vague or ambiguous way.

What hasn’t occurred to them yet is that it has already happened but the shock wave and heat (although on their way!) has not reached them yet. Events do not consist of a just one instantaneous Flash! Bang! All events are a series of consequences involving numerous things. Even asteroid strikes and bomb explosions are composed of cause and effect events that progress over a span of time. If all that you really want to know is “When does it REALLY arrive? When does the music actually DIE?” The only short answer for that one is that the music doesn’t stop for you, until it stops FOR YOU.

For example, the Ukrainian artillery shell (compliments of the USA and NATO), that landed on the Donetsk grade school, ended the music for those children a dozen years ago. That was when it stopped for them. For those kids it was the end of the world. Collapse had occurred, and the collapse of civilization that happened to them is the same collapse of civilization that is happening to the rest of us.

So, when does the collapse happen, and how long will it take?

Well the short answer is simply that it already has, but these things take time.

aspnaz
    Participant

Afewknowthetruth said

And aspnaz thinks the term ‘natures wrath’ is harsh???

How about revenge, then, aspnaz?

You are part of nature: when you fail to run fast enough do you get all emotional with your legs? Your concept of nature – some sort of emotional entity that gets annoyed with the humanity part of itself – is somewhat pathetic. It appears to be a disingenuous attempt by you to project yourself or humanity at large as seperate from nature, as if you/we control nature and that nature is angry at us, as if we/you are some sort of equal to nature.

But thanks for the run down of your beliefs: I always find it nice to have mt suspicions confirmed.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

aspnaz

You really should stop the nonsense because you are totally wrong about practically everything and you are 100% wrong in every assumption you make about me.

But I know you won’t stop because it is a component of your personality to always want to have the last word.

One of my favourite songs, and what I aspired to before I got too old:

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

I’m sorry to have to say it, but uninformed fuckwit incapable of logical thought fits the bill.

Now just F.O. until you are prepared to discuss real issues instead of your silly opinions.

Troll.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

D Benton Smith

You are absolutely right!

Collapse comes one person at a time, one family at a time, one community at a time, one district at a time, one nation at a time.

What the maniacs [politicians, bankers, industrialists, economists, lawyers etc.] who have been messing with geochemistry and ecology for decades have achieved is the set of conditions that ensure complete worldwide collapse is inevitable in the near future.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

“William Catton’s book ‘Overshoot’, the most important book I have ever read in my life. Nothing else even close to it,” said Michael Dowd.

I read Jared Diamond’s ‘Collapse’ around 15 years ago -a bit long and repetitive but on the ball- and could see exactly where we were headed.

We do not have a set of physical predicaments: we have a cultural predicament that prevents even the slightest societal movement towards preparation for the inevitable.

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

It is not just scientists who point out that we are on the road to extinction via looting, polluting, exploitation and overshoot.

Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and great thinker Chris Hedges said the same recently.

Brilliant!

…”five centuries of reckless economic and environmental plunder.”

Veracious Poet
    Participant

AFKTT:

Dr. D
    Participant

Ouch. No interviews? I hear the same split personality, half list (too low) and can’t get applicants to show, half are listed (we’re on the outside here) and never fill. For many years now companies have advertised, even with temp agencies, then when you call (bc “Manpower” is on the inside) they say “Corporate allowed us to list, but froze the money for the hiring. Maybe sometime they will unfreeze so we keep it posted”. For YEARS. I’m sure the total lack of management competency hasn’t changed.

The Zap shelling I’ve heard is from HIMARs? I find this unlikely but…? That would mean the U.S. is the specific approver and targeter of nuking Europe? Another reason it’s hard to credit.

AfewKnow: Pretty standard AGW line, I’m sure we’ve all heard it a lot. However, none of the models worked and 40 years later it is still wrong and not happened. Where is the falsifiable part of your Scientific Theory? If oceans don’t rise for lifetimes, does science re-calibrate and wonder why? Rain is evidence, but dry is evidence too? Since none of the previous models worked worth half a hoot, I’m in no concern at the moment that the models on Taiwan specifically will occur.

This is a shame since there are real problems, and the solution to most of the problems are generally the same, common sense local ecology we agree on. However, if the problem is CO2, then it’s the Perfect Problem™ because it can’t be solved. First of all, you and I don’t have to take any action because nothing we do will affect it. So I can shop on Amazon and eat 2,000 mile ceasar salads all day with the benefit of feeling guilty as a Catholic, and going to St. Greta and the WEF to remove my original sin. …Of breathing. This is a well-worn control tactic, but not a success and action tactic. It drives people insane, and to personal violence, and it provably has this time too — no surprise. “Killin’ neighbors: It’s Good for the Earth.”™ It’s the other “Perfect Problem” because the only solution is to reduce CO2, which will kill nearly every human on the face of the earth, and the faster we act, the more that die. So you can die; OR you can die. Yay! And you bought one half, or the other of that Morton’s Fork. And the People are the ones demanding that they die, faster, fast as possible. Then kill themselves and each other by the hundred thousands, as we shall see in Europe this year. I do not find this a logical method of ‘saving the earth’ or what they actually say, that we must make change so we don’t have to move a few coastal cities back 5 miles every 100 years. Fewer would die if you flooded every city and sent migrant to NJ back to Ohio. Saving the Earth that doesn’t need to be saved that is fine? Or saving the humans on the earth? And we save the village by killing the village? I’m sorry: restate your goals again here? Is it to save us, or something else?

Otoh, NOTHING is done for gardening. For the grid. For decentralization. For farming. For banking. For unity. For ecology. For sustainability. So even if the theory is true, it’s a MASSIVE strategic bust in every way, and will get nothing but resistance from every one, on every side. Or are they really going to say, as the kids do: “Ooh! Ooh! Kill me first!!! Erase my job! I want the bridge on 49th street, that’s my goal! In a VAN, by the RIVER!”

Meanwhile, if you DON’T do that, stick to saving humans, improving their lies, and avoid evangelizing un-falsifiable religious claims, you gain all the non-believers to your banner, AND grow more food, decentralize the economy, firewall the financial collapse, and make more jobs that are more resilient. Your choice, sir. Personally, every model being wrong every day of my entire sorry life, plus science being dead wrong about all OTHER science for 2 years — or 20 — was enough to convince me. I was keeping a list of catastrophic “Science being wrong” stories. Don’t make me post it. This month was, “SSRIs unrelated to Depression.” After 30 years of prescribing profits. Just like Statins, cholesterol…and this the same month BJM prints “All scientific studies are paid-garbage unless proven otherwise”. And we can TEST drugs, with control groups. How much less Climate where we can’t?

And wave the banner of “Science”, her majesty and objective reliability after this and after years of such articles in “Lancet”, “NEJM”, and 300 published papers of AI-generated pure gibberish? At this point, anyone who trusts “Science” or uses the word is Suspicious and cut out on the face of it, just another 7th Day Adventist with a brochure pulled up in a Tesla telling me how I have to walk now. I see NO reform in Science. None. More revelations about how they were killing kids in the back alley, with a needle and a checkbook, worse than the Pope could fathom, and still at it! Can’t stop/Won’t stop. “Trust Us!” Trust me Billy, what have I ever done and when have I ever been wrong before?” You mean, except EVERY. TIME.? 100% of the time wrong? Since Before Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein in 1815? Wrong every day since then? Science working maniacally to destroy me and the ecology every day since then? Nope. Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations. But let’s be practical instead.

I’m not about to sign up for another guilt religion on purpose. It’s just not productive. It’s like rolling up to Mother Theresa and asking her if she’s heard about Jesus Christ today.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.