Debt Rattle August 3 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 3 2020

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

W. Eugene Smith Orson Welles 1941   • Supporters Urge Joe Biden Not to Debate Trump (NW) • Kansas Should Go F— Itself (Matt Taibbi) • How Congr
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 3 2020]

zerosum
    Participant

illusions, lies, the matrix, …. photoshop

“a growing class of elite-educated managerial professionals, philosopher-kings who set correct policy for the ignorant masses.” the ignorant politicians to convince the ignorant masses

” Most of the constituents back in their home districts have no idea what it is that the people they’ve voted for have been doing, and this gap between belief and reality is enormous.”

“… the lie that America is a democracy — that actually represents the interests of the voters”

“Screw the people, it’s about power.”

“…. the Fed is desperate to ignite broad inflation as that is the only way the countless trillions of excess debt can be eliminated and yet it has so far failed to do so).”

Not for the ordinary citizen.
    If I owe money and I don’t get more income then I end up owing more money with inflation.
    If I have saving then with inflation my saving buy less.
    Therefore, inflation is a double jubilee for the selected elites

Why do companies do buybacks?
    Reward shareholders,(the rich)
    1. Enrich shareholders, 2 ways, (only 10% of people own shares), when market shares are at their peak values, and
    2. increases the value of the remaining shares.

The lawyers and the bankers who handled mergers and acquisitions loved it.

” TikTok, WeChat and “countless” Chinese software companies that pose a national security threat to America,”
    because they are Chinese and not USA owned

reporting on something that hadn’t happened.

Zero,

To get inflation, they’ll have to force people to spend, increase velocity of money. Japan’s been trying exactly that for decades. The only result is that people spend less, because they don’t trust the government urging for them to spend more; the same will happen in US/EU. Inflation is a broad process, it’s not just a few prices going up. Real estate inflation or cookie inflation are not useful terms.

Mr. House
    Participant

“The only result is that people spend less, because they don’t trust the government urging for them to spend more”

If you can’t even get people to spend more, which most people are inclined to do, because they don’t trust you, how do you run a society?

If you can’t even get people to spend more, which most people are inclined to do, because they don’t trust you, how do you run a society?

Ask Abe and Kuroda. Or by now, ask any government. People must be confident they will be able to make back the money they spend. Or they’ll sit on it.

zerosum
    Participant

You cannot spend more when you spent it all.
    Oppps!
    60% of people have spent all their income and borrowed so much that they will not be able to pay it back.
    Too bad for those people. However, don’t feel bad for the lenders because they will be paid back by the gov. and of course the gov. will call it a jubilee to save the economy and the social structures.
    Lots of ways that this is done. Remember the bailout of the auto industry.

Mr. House
    Participant

“Ask Abe and Kuroda.”

So declining household formation and birthrates. National Suicide?

Mr. House
    Participant

If that is the future, it strikes me as being very Roman.

“Ask Abe and Kuroda.”
    So declining household formation and birthrates. National Suicide?

Japan’s aging population was always a long term issue. The failure of Abenomics is only becoming one. Its goal was/is to fight deflation. It’s been going since well before 2008 in one form or another, and it’s still failing. They never even made it to the stated goal of 2%. There are differences with the US: people have much less personal debt, and the government -compared to the US- owes much more debt to its own people. They’re the ones who hold the gov’t bonds, not international investors and third countries (or, much less so).

But whenever Abe et al launch a new effort to make the people spend, they do the exact opposite. That may have something to do with the fact that many are aging old grandmas, but it appears to be a pretty general reaction. You can’t fool all of the people all of the time.

Mr. House
    Participant

All i know is thank god i don’t have cable tv. Can you imagine being trapped at home, nothing is open, and having to listen to political ads day in and day out until the election?

Mr. House
    Participant

Yes with regards to Japan. The funny thing is when their bubble burst in the early 90’s we told them to liquidate. Then when our bubble burst we couldn’t even take our own advice. The things people will do when their power is at stake.

zerosum
    Participant

“The things people will do when their power is at stake.”
    Even more ….
    The things rich people will do when their wealth is at stake.

Mr. House
    Participant

Also, why does anyone even report what Neil Kashkari feels the proper response to the virus is? Doesn’t anybody other then me find this strange? My fav Kashkari moment was maybe a year or 2 ago on NPR. He and Kye risedale (spelling?) were basically rewriting the history of the financial crisis on air while i yelled at my radio.

Bill7
    Participant

‘Pandemic propaganda? NY Times implies outings to the beach or the park are to blame for Covid-19’s spread’:

“Could America’s so-called “newspaper of record” have just bungled the news package that dominated its most high-profile page of the week? Maybe the photo chief and the news editor miscommunicated? Doctors who have been watching the mainstream media’s misleading coverage of the pandemic aren’t buying it.

Julia Marcus, an infectious disease epidemiologist at Harvard Medical School, sees the package as a continuation of a media misinformation campaign. “What’s driving the latest surge in cases? Apparently, people enjoying themselves at spacious beaches and parks and drive-in movies,” she said on Twitter.

The media’s misinformation campaign continues on the front page of the Sunday @nytimes. What’s driving the latest surge in cases? Apparently people enjoying themselves at spacious beaches and parks and drive-in movies. pic.twitter.com/Ho0UaMj0WD
    — Julia Marcus, PhD, MPH (@JuliaLMarcus) August 2, 2020

A Boston intensive care unit doctor identifying himself as Ed MD said, “Each of these pictures could literally be used as an example of the safest recreational practices.” Another user under name Doctor Mat Smith said there can only be an agenda behind the story because, “The New York Times’ writers aren’t stupid, they’re disingenuous.”..”

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/496928-nyt-coronavirus-beach-misinformation/

Must… keep… Fear… going…

Huskynut
    Participant

@Ilargi – great selection of articles today, thank you. And the Trump cap tweet almost had me snorting coffee out my nose. 🙂

May I add one more link as a beautiful example of the MSM fake news cycle: http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2020/08/peta-lies-about-thai-coconuts-exposes.html

sumac.carol
    Participant

I was going to say the same thing -a really interesting read today -even more than usual!

VietnamVet
    Participant

The talk of FED giving digital dollars via an app to individuals is one of those puff pieces thrown in the air to give the people the false feeling that they have power. Nobody is getting the $600 dollar a week extra unemployment payment since last Friday. Republicans want to force Americans to go back to work and risk infection. The rich will never voluntarily allow the little people to get out of being under their thumbs.

My county with the most coronavirus infections in Maryland, just sent out by e-mail this factoid; “No gathering is truly low-risk. Recent contact tracing interviews revealed the following top activities: 44% Family gatherings 23% House parties 21% outdoor events.” These percentages skewed because the county is mostly bedroom communities with no state prisons or meatpacking plants; working at home. But still, there is no away around it. To stay virus free, avoid other people. If you must go out for survival or to prevent family banishment, always wear a mask and keep as distant as possible to lower the risks.

If no safe and effective for-profit vaccine or treatment is developed by next year, the USA is rushing towards a million deaths and even more survivors with comorbidities. The other alternatives are 1) a 6 to 8-week complete/effective lockdown or 2) a national public health system of daily fast cheap antigen tests done at home, testing negative before going out, contact tracing, and safe secure quarantine facilities.

Isolated at home, waiting for 6” of tropical rain tomorrow, I sense that the USA is falling apart.

V. Arnold
    Participant

I’m happy to see that bunk about Thai monkey’s and coconuts debunked.
    The PC crowd is dangerous and clearly delusional…

V. Arnold
    Participant

…I sense that the USA is falling apart.

A masterful understatement… 😉
    It’s already Humpty Dumpty…and all the kings horses, and all the kings men cannot put Humpty Dumpty together again…

The rich will never voluntarily allow the little people to get out of being under their thumbs.

Which is precisely the reason the “little people” need to act independently to free themselves.
    Get out of debt!; by any means possible. That cannot be stressed enough!
    People fail to understand the true cost of debt; and that it goes way beyond just money…

Huskynut
    Participant

@V Arnold – I had you in mind when I posted it 😉
    I did wonder whether the original story was pitched to PETA as a trap with which to embarrass/disgrace them. They do a lot of interesting work in exposing the horrid conditions of factory farmed animals, so I can’t imagine they have many friends amongst the corporate elites.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@V Arnold – I had you in mind when I posted it 😉

I wondered. Thanks, it needed to be addressed.
    I’m not a big fan of any of the PC movements, including PETA.
    I don’t eat meat every day (often going a week or more M-free) for many reasons, including the industrial “quality”(sarc) of the various products.
    We buy almost all our groceries from local markets (including meats); the rest, my wife grows (fruits, veggies, herbs, and spices). The bananas are the best I’ve ever had, all organic.
    Cheers 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.