Debt Rattle August 6 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 6 2018

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Vasily Polenov Étretat 1874   • Stock Market Manias of the Past vs the Echo Bubble (Tenebrarum) • US Bond Market Takes Looming Treasuries Deluge
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle August 6 2018]

Dr. D
    Participant

It’s important that the stock buybacks are the opposite of business sense. They are buying their stock at all-time highs instead of investing in products and sales. They are largely getting this money by increasing DEBT, which later must be serviced. So the equation is, “borrow hugely to buy an overpriced asset that has no economic benefit.” Sell sell sell.

However, I’m sure they know no one intends to repay. But their rules of closure are far different from governments’, and I doubt the world will be so accommodating as to instantly go into hyperinflation without knocking them in deflation first. –If they had any sense, they’d just take themselves private, that would generally solve both problems.

I see Brexit positioning, not only to carpet-bomb the people for daring to vote wrong, but in the extreme (and generally unnecessary) disruption, they’re certain to do a massive central-power grab akin to martial law. There won’t be any choice then, as people say “FIX IT!” but it will allow greater ‘fascism’ (in the general sense of oppression and central control, unification of state and corporations) than even possible under the EU/UK tag team. Good job, Brownie! Never let a crisis go to waste!

Trump is just putting uber-liars EU in a double bind: IF Russia is so dangerous, THEN you must not buy billions in their gas, but buy wildly overpriced and totally unavailable U.S. gas instead. However, IF Russia is not a real threat, as your gas pipeline and economic tying of Europe to Russia suggests, THEN you have to shut down NATO and stop attacking/antagonizing Russia by placing first-strike nukes on their border. It’s either-or, people. Choose.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Étretat, 1874 and 1883; teo different artists, and two distinct (different) views.
    The two pov’s are just meters apart (if that), but two distinctly different paintings.
    specifically, I’m drawn to the seaward leg of the arch.
    Art, ain’t it just grand…

zerosum
    Participant

Buy Back Explosion!

I don’t know anybody who was a recipients of Buy Back.

Do you know someone who was?

What did they do with the money?

Is this an “egg toss game” with the brokers being the only winners?

Patricia
    Participant

Zerosum, many years ago, a company I had shares in, bought back some of my shares. They just credited my bank account with the current market price of the shares. No broker was involved and I presume they just altered the number of shares in my name on their list of shareholders.

zerosum
    Participant

@Patricia
    Interesting, It sound unusual.
    Reinvesting that money would involve brokers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.