Debt Rattle December 26 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 26 2016

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Paul Gauguin Christmas Night (The Blessing of the Oxen) , 1902-1903 • One Industry Will Keep Holding North America Together (CNBC) • China Bank Calls
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 26 2016]

V. Arnold
    Participant

The art work lately has been wonderful, thanks.

Glennda
    Participant

I meant to post this on Dec 24, but life intervened.

I think the date for the interesting photo is wrong.
    It should more likely be 1941 or even 1945.
    Her clothing would be way too risque for 1910, but just right for the 40s.
    Note the intersting graffiti at her knee – it looks like it says:
    …ARR RESIST Anyone have an idea of what union might have been active there?
    Or some other group?

From Wikipedia about Doublas Aircraft (founded in the 20s, expanded to Long Beach in the 40s.)
    “The company retained its military market and expanded into amphibian airplanes in the late 1920s, also moving its facilities to Clover Field at Santa Monica, California. The Santa Monica complex was so large, the mail girls used roller skates to deliver the intracompany mail. By the end of World War II, Douglas had facilities at Santa Monica, El Segundo, Long Beach, and Torrance, California, Tulsa and Midwest City, Oklahoma, and Chicago, Illinois.[13]

DrCiber
    Participant

30 trillion tons is not 27.2 trillion kg., it’s 27.2 quadrillion kg.

Glennda

I already corrected that. Copy and paste and then you sometimes forget the pesky little details…. Thanks for pointing it out.

Good catch Ciber, but still not complete. Depends on the definition of a ton.

DrCiber
    Participant

So true, so true, but since the text & the charts made reference to several characteristic American terms for schoolbus chassis capacity, and other items,:747’s, aircraft carriers and whatnot, and used the spelling of “tons” as opposed to “tonnes”, etc.. I let my American (expat) cultural bias hang out & assumed good ole 2000 lb. short tons were implied (my bad) Indeed that’s the way his/her/it’s math worked out except for that slight error of being off by a factor of 1000, but hey, who’s counting? ;-).

Depending on what kind of ton. or kg. were used as reference for the schoolbus, aircraft carrier, etc. analogies, all of those quantities are likely off too. /class clown alert

Read you just about every day. Do keep up the matchless work, at least for as long as your heart is in it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.