Debt Rattle February 19 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 19 2020

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Arthur Siegel Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyards, Baltimore, Maryland. Liberty ship construction. Welding on a hatch assembly at night. 1943   • Elder
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle February 19 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Arthur Siegel Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyards, Baltimore, Maryland. Liberty ship construction. Welding on a hatch assembly at night. 1943

Ah yes; WWII Liberty ships; famous for breaking in half upon launching…

oxymoron
    Participant

2 things. Can Trump throw Julian a bone then?
    Can the British just enough already with the Antiques Roadshow mania. It is getting boring now. It’s there’s give it back, if nana still wants it too bad, be a grown up. You’ll survive. Although I wonder if your zero carbon emissions would survive a thorough review of the financial services sector and it’s funding arm? Carbon free off shore account activities and shell companies – I don’t f’ing think so.

Dave Note
    Participant

Whitey Bulger an LSD, what a craptastic idea.
    Leave it to the Monsters who ran MK-Ultra and never were punished for their crimes against humanity.

Jasun Horsley has written extensively about MK-Ultra and other such skullduggery.

Prisoner of Infinity and The Vice of Kings among others.

Also covers how deformed and demented creatures like Jeffery Epstein slithered through humanity unmolested by Justice.

Dr. D
    Participant

The Liberty Ships remind me that a) we have no steel, no ships, no docks, no workers, and no manufacturing, and b) with 1B people on lockdown, the entire supply chain has halted and will not begin again. So set your clock as all the goods and their feedstocks – even a single chip or screw, even a single plastic package or bottle – go missing and so even domestic goods will be shut off. Thanks for playing! Hope you liked those cheap, disposable, slave-made shoes now that you’re barefoot! Oh and the corollary, c) Inflation, “Too much money chasing too few goods.”

From yesterday, that was the reason all the candidates, even plausible insider Neo-libs like Gillibrand painted up like Bernie far-left and catastrophically lost doing it, because it’s transparently false and the people know it. But the point was exclusively to sap Bernie’s very real support and maintain the insiders for new election-tampering. Warren’s still doing that, and it’s still transparent.

Later, long-time Republican Bloomberg’s dismal, violent, illegal, racist, sexist history (Yay! Front-runner material!) will make their hand-picked go-boy like Pete look downright grand. I don’t think that’s a winning plan though. Of course they COULD pick a people’s candidate that will actually HELP the working class, instead of the super-rich, warmongering Daddy Warbucks, and a fig leaf of fringe leftists and win against the easiest opponent ever, but that seems too much to ask right now.

Already have to turn to attack the right, got a single day off. So…increasing bombs in a still-occupied Syria, saying nothing about Europe and Turkey invading Libya, pardoning a whole lineup of dismal criminals, probably for the blackmail info they have, AND still not arresting anyone for the 10,000 crimes of the 50 criminal names Kunstler listed for the 5 minutes of white-collar crimes Redacted named. Catastrophically lying about the total lack of a quarantine on a world-wide virus, and the economic effect, war-like rationing and shortages for years. Stopping Germany from getting critical gas, and embargoing Russia (while increasing space and nukes), an act of war. Yup, it’s Wednesday.

With corona, apparently same as SARS you can’t really make a vaccine. As such. Probably why it was chosen. However, it can be disrupted with protease inhibitors.

“Boeing Finds Debris in Fuel Tanks of Undelivered 737 MAX Planes (CNBC)”

It’s weird how when Honda uses these exact same workers to do the same job, this never happens. It’s almost like Boeing has corrupt, piss-poor management that lives in a cushy government monopoly and all needs to be fired. Thanks government! That’s another 350 people to add to your death list!

an unwitting participant in a covert CIA experiment with LSD…MK Ultra”

But that’s an unhinged conspiracy theory, even though you can read it in their budget and records and a dozen books have been written on it with open data!!! Nope, nope, nope. And he was Mueller’s boy over there in Boston. Golly, wonder why? So confused. Is anyone going to look into this since it’s on open government record? Nope! I’ll just write that it’s false without calling anybody or reading the thousand pages of freely available documents.

(…I wouldn’t let him off as she (the journalist) suggests, but I sure need to know the person who paid for the hit man’s services, wouldn’t you? Oh, and why? I didn’t think we did assassinations, and particularly of domestic citizens without trial and process. Who authorized it?)

“Religion is a Repeating Chapter in the History of Politics (CP)”

The religion of liars and lies, for whom the truth has never been in their mouth. The only thing I can say is that economics is worse.

No idea why Britain even wants the statues. Is there an alien nuclear reactor inside? Otherwise, don’t care where it is, unless they know and are arranging for Turkey to invade Greece, as Erdogan has spoken of and is planning. For that matter, I don’t care about the statues or Acropolis either: why not train the world’s talent to make new ones that are shiny, fixed, and complete? Is that not also a human achievement, or can only our ancestors accomplish things?

…or can only our ancestors accomplish things?

Whenever I read about the Parthenon marbles, which the British even have the gall of calling the Elgin marbles, apparently because they want to celebrate their criminals, I always think: but the British were also capable of making refined and sophisticated sculptures back in the day. Take Stonehenge!

zerosum
    Participant

Virus opportunities
    Don’t absorb those tariffs. Pass them on to the consumer. Blame the change on the virus.
    Its not inflation. Its the virus.
    Its not a slow down. Its the virus.
    The virus is causing all the corporate reorganizations.
    Changes are coming because of the virus. ZH said changes are happening.
    —–
    …the rally that recent gains appear “to be driven by forces beyond fundamental factors.”

…apparel, jewelry, footwear, and accessories retailing, which jumped a record 10.3%.

We are living through what is probably the most surprising bull market in history…
    ——
    Despite a recovery in oil prices in 2018, Dubai’s economic growth has failed to accelerate…

China Expels 3 WSJ Reporters Over “Racist” Opinion Piece

China Prepares To Nationalize Systematically-Important HNA Group

US Designates 5 Chinese State Media Outlets As ‘Foreign Missions’

John Day
    Participant

About “ACE-2 being more prevalent in Asian lungs” rumor:
    This is very important basic science research. Wuhan coronavirus binds to ACE-2 receptors, deep in the lungs. Everybody has them. Some people have more.
    It has been speculated that older men and Asians have more.
    Well, yes, if older Asian men smoke more tobacco. BINGO!​
    In this study, we investigated the disparities related to race, age, gender and smoking status in ACE2 gene expression and found significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in lung tissue of smokers compared to that of non-smokers. This may explain the reason why more males (56% of 425 cases) were found in a recent epidemiology report of 2019-nCov early transmission by China CDC11. We didn’t observe significant disparities in ACE2 gene expression between racial groups (Asian vs Caucasian), age groups (>60 vs <60) or gender groups (male vs female).
    file:///C:/Users/John.MEADOWS/Downloads/preprints202002.0051.v1%20(1).pdf

http://www.johndayblog.com/2020/02/experiences-transform-society.html
    I am beholden to an essay Charles Hugh Smith sent to subscribers, where he discusses the societal trauma now being experienced by human beings throughout China. He was deeply touched by the video of a young girl weeping as her mother’s body was taken to cremate, after having lost her father not 3 weeks before that. The children of the children-of-the-Cultural-Revolution have known a hopeful period of growth in their lives, similar to what baby boomers like myself knew until about 1971, when everything began to stall and unravel.
    Their parents wanted the best for them, not the world they had just lived through. This shock ends that dream, which was already weakened, and had become based on speculative investment bubbles, as much as on actual economic development, which has stagnated in the past few years.
    In the west, we remain preoccupied on containing the Wuhan coronavirus to over-there, and hope that “they” get their economy back together before our bubble economy goes “pop”.
    However, history is already over-extended for us in this recovery round of an old economic paradigm, gamed into financial speculation, far from the productive world of work, into which I was born.
    We baby boomers had our fade-of-expectations through stagflation in the Ford and Carter years. Our world became more marketing-oriented under Reagan, and left reality behind after 2008.
    We will experience the truth we denied in the early 1980s, that the cookie jar is full of worthless IOUs, not retirement security. Many of us are already working at some lower-level job to help provide what Social Security does not. We need not do so in the formal economy.
    Growing vegetables and fixing things gets you more value than working for somebody else. Really.
    Prepare today. When there is virus in your community, everything will suddenly become unreliable and uncertain from day to day.

Marjorie sent me a link to BMJ, British Medical Journal, which is continuously updated. The viral outcomes outside of Wuhan are much, much milder in the tested population. Personally, I think this is due to only testing the sickest people in Wuhan, and testing broadly in the rest of China. It could also be that the virus is mutating to a less fatal form, which viruses often do. It improves their success to kill fewer hosts.
    Conclusion As of early February 2020, compared with patients initially infected with SARS-Cov-2 in Wuhan, the symptoms of patients in Zhejiang province are relatively mild.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m606

​This is a perspective piece from the BMJ, and says that no mutation to lessen mortality rate has been detected. This virus is therefore vastly more prevalent in Wuhan than is reported. We all need more and better information.
    Among cases reported to the World Health Organization, 15% are severe, 3% are critical, and 82% are mild (press conference WHO, 7 February 2020. https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1225797786903277568). The estimated overall case fatality rate is around 2% but outside of Hubei province the figure is around 0.05 or less, not so far from the mortality observed with seasonal influenza. We should not be lulled into inaction by this low fatality rate, however: no cross protection by a common human coronavirus infection is expected and SARS-CoV-2 can theoretically infect any one of us. As with influenza, the complications from covid-19 target particularly older people, but the disease can also strike unpredictably in younger age groups.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m627

Dave Note
    Participant

“…the British were also capable of making refined and sophisticated sculptures back in the day. Take Stonehenge!’

Hahahahaha!

When the Romans pulled out of Britain in the 4th century, the native population ‘forgot’ how to make pottery of any quality for five hundred years or so. Think about that, five centuries it took to reinvent common dinner dishes. Take to any archeologist study Britain in the Dark Ages and they’ll tell you pottery is one of the main tools of chronology when dating ruins. The native British pottery from 4th to 9th centuries was so crappy hardly any even survived in the ground. It was barely fired to proper hardness.

So stealing Greek masterpieces made a thousand years earlier than the sub third world British ‘pottery’ of the Dark Ages kinda makes England look like pretentious posers on a monumental scale.

Housing them in the British Museum in Old Blightly is truly insult upon injury.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

Coming soon, to a hospital near boscohorowitz?
    Hotel getaway: Oregon comedian quarantined amid cruise ship virus sneaks flight to Seattle

An Oregon comedian who had been stranded on a Holland America cruise ship in Cambodia due to COVID-19 virus concerns managed to get a flight back home by breaking quarantine in a hotel where ship’s passengers were being held pending test results.

Frank King arrived at Sea-Tac Airport Monday afternoon on his way home to Eugene…

Some passengers had been put up in a five-star hotel in Phnom Penh awaiting travel home when the news of the positive test hit, meaning those on board and those at the hotel would have to all be tested and await results before being allowed to leave. But King, who says he had an important speaking engagement back in the U.S. decided he couldn’t wait…

“There was no official ‘you can’t leave’ (at the hotel) but if you tried to go out the front door with your luggage, security would stop you,” King said. “But if you went out with your backpack and you were sightseeing, not a problem…”

“So I thought, you know, I’m outta here,” he said. King said he first walked around the entire hotel scoping out security and noted lesser security was along the back gate. “So out I go the back gate with my luggage,” he said.

King says he was stopped by someone and repeatedly told he was not to leave, but he refused to comply unless he was going to be arrested and instead got into a waiting three-wheeled tuk-tuk, even carrying his luggage on his shoulders, to get to the airport.

He says he chose to fly back on his own on a more full-service airline, even purchasing a full-price, upgraded ticket as not to raise suspicion that he was trying to quickly leave the country at the last minute as cheaply as possible.

King said he sailed through the airports on his three connecting flights, only being asked if he had been to China, and had a rental car reserved in Seattle to get home to Eugene if he couldn’t fly from here.

https://katu.com/news/nation-world/man-stranded-on-coronavirus-infected-cruise-ship-arrives-at-sea-tac-airport

Dave Note
    Participant

Mini Mike Bloomberg is a Classic example of the Napoleon Complex.

We’ll see in the Great Debates soon!

“In 2018, evolutionary psychologist Mark van Vugt and his team at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam found evidence for the Napoleon complex in human males. Men of short stature behaved more (indirectly) aggressive in interactions with taller men. Their evolutionary psychology hypothesis argues that in competitive situations when males, human or nonhuman, receive cues that they are physically outcompeted, the Napoleon complex psychology kicks in: physically weaker males should adopt alternative behavioral strategies to level the playing field, including showing indirect aggression and coalition building.”

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/chinese-companies-cant-afford-pay-workers-supply-chains-disintegrate
    “companies which do restart production don’t have enough money to cover labor expenses, to wit: “across china, companies are telling workers that there’s no money for them — or that they shouldn’t have to pay full salaries to quarantined employees who don’t come to work.”

If employees don’t have money then employees cannot purchase.
    Round and round it goes.

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/china-change-infection-definition-again-pursuit-lower-cases

pneumonia, which is how all the thousands of new “mystery” deaths will be tagged by the friendly Chinese coroner, who will be instructed to never use the word coronavirus again and instead attributed covid-19 fatalities to far more mundane causes such as pneumonia, and ordinary flu.

Its time to make more than one tracking chart.
    New flu vs old flu

zerosum
    Participant

Burning vs incinerating
    https://www.zerohedge.com/political/china-deploys-40-mobile-incinerators-wuhan-report
    Professor Qu Zan said the virus could not survive the 850 degree heat created by the furnace.
    According to the reports, the mobile incinerators are able to destroy up to five tons of waste per day – burning a load in as little as two seconds. The units are reportedly the size of a 20-foot standard shipping container and have a volume of 30 cubic meters – and are able to crush solid waste, incinerate it, and then ‘purify the smoke.’

zerosum
    Participant

Look at the data.Its coming to your neighborhood
    https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/terrifying-charts-show-chinas-economy-remains-completely-paralyzed

As we warned previously, a paralyzed economy, with 750 million people in some form of lock down, where the people are becoming increasingly angry at Beijing’s now openly over propaganda, where countless workers will soon be fired as companies run out of funds, and even more companies will soon be bankrupt due to lack of ongoing operations, and where the price of food is surging makes for the most volatile combination possible, one which if not arrested soon could lead to a very violent climax.

What …..
    Tariff war, a strike by 750 million, a lock down of 750 million?

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:. Just to add to your list of coronavirus opportunities if I may.

CFOs will be using this quarter to “throw in the kitchen sink” into their financial results to cover for all their previous skullduggery!

WES
    Participant

I hope everybody has noticed that we are no longer hearing as much about the coronavirus as we were just a few days ago?

That is because China sent their top security person to Wuhan! Now we are no longer being annoyed by stories about people dying in Wuhan!

By next week we will have completely forgotten about the virus!

WES
    Participant

Dave Note:. I have arranged for mini Mike to stand tall in the debates! I sent him a box to stand on! What else could I give a billionaire who has everything!

WES
    Participant

Dave Note:. I have arranged for mini Mike to stand tall in the debates! I sent him a box to stand on! What else could I give a billionaire who has everything!

WES
    Participant

Dr. D.:. Assuming anyone would ever let you serve on a jury, would you convict anyone charged with a crime backed up by FBI agents?

VietnamVet
    Participant

WaPo reflects its owner, Jeff Bezos. It blames Donald Trump for everything. But then it reports facts like the Wuhan coronavirus is likely to persist since three Pharmaceutical Corporations are partnering with the National Institute of Health and will spend billions to develop vaccines for the virus. But it omits the consequential fortune fact busters like Amazon won’t have anything from China to sell shortly and no one will accept packages at home if they are not sanitized.

With five media owners, only peripheral news reports make it on to vital aggregators like Automatic Earth to tell the internet what is really happening. KOMO-TV reported that Washington State is supervising 746 people due to coronavirus outbreak or KATU-TV in the comment above tells about the comedian who escaped the Cambodian quarantine to return to Eugene Oregon. The failure of the Princess Diamond quarantine shows the Wuhan coronavirus is highly contagious. Apparently the healthy and young have mild colds and spread the virus even without symptoms. In China about 18% of the elderly die.

Unless China gets back into the supply chain within months there will be a global depression. The virus will infect the West. Only a draconian quarantine will slow the advance. Old fogies will die off. Together with the poor and susceptible they will clog up for-profit hospitals. There are no public hospitals left in the USA. The consumer economy will die. Donald Trump will be blamed. There will be no election night. If voting by smart phones, Silicon Valley moguls definitely will not choose either Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.

zerosum
    Participant

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/how-fluvaccine-made.htm
    The most common way that flu vaccines are made is using an egg-based manufacturing process
    that has been used for more than 70 years. Egg-based vaccine manufacturing is used to make both inactivated (killed) vaccine (usually called the “flu shot”) and live attenuated (weakened) vaccine (usually called the “nasal spray flu vaccine”).

next problem – no chicken, no eggs

https://www.businessinsider.com/h5n1-deadly-bird-flu-emerged-near-center-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-2

China has reported an animal outbreak of the deadly H5N1 bird flu in chickens in the Hunan province, an area that borders the province where the coronavirus emerged, the South China Morning Post reported.
    “The farm has 7,850 chickens, and 4,500 of the chickens have died from the contagion. Local authorities have culled 17,828 poultry after the outbreak,” a statement by China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said on February 1.
    The Wuhan coronavirus has now claimed more lives than SARS. Top scientists told us it could take years and cost $1 billion to make a vaccine to fight the epidemic.

Dr. D
    Participant

Honestly, yes I would or would not convict someone charged with a crime by FBI depending on the evidence.

I would have a far more jaundiced view than anyone there, perhaps, knowing the FBI lab was fake for years and reading about several famous cases each year with made-up non-evidence like Peltier, Dr. Hatfill, and no one cars, nothing is cleaned up, no reform has even been tried for decades of failure that stretch back to the very first day with J. Edgar’s famous (congressional) blackmail department — the very reason for their existence — but what could I do? This is the jury, this is the evidence, and despite myself I’m still too likely to believe them because I wouldn’t have access to evidence about what exactly to doubt, or why. Probably a lot of cases are real and most people are indeed guilty.

The problem being no police or prosecutor I’ve met or read really cares about your Joe Friday level of adherence to the law. It’s enough to think the guy is guilty of something, sometime, and press your case any way that doesn’t keep you up at night. Luckily it usually is the guy found on the scene, usually is the husband, the ex-boyfriend, it is what it looks like, what you think it is. …And then 10% of the time it isn’t, they didn’t bother looking, don’t care, and get promoted to 6-figure pensions.

This is why they need to be held not just to standard, but to a HIGHER standard, and why — as is not happening now anywhere — the Prosecution is required to give ALL evidence to the Defense, required to have real, specific warrants, is required to not rig the judge and jury, is required to offer a jury trial and not plead out, to presume innocence, to not trial you to bankruptcy, leak and attack your reputation, hold you without bail for the years before delayed trial, and about a hundred other amazingly clear laws and standards. So if these rich, connected insiders can’t get within 100 miles of a fair trial, what are the chances for a guy like me?

Here’s one for you: harmless party friends of mine back in the day got investigated for drugs. Outsider friend gets talked to, bats her eyelashes, gets out her kneepads or whatever and pleads to DEA. They want it to be this particular guy because I dunno, it looks best for the optics, think he’ll stand up to federal prison best, whatever. They just randomly decide among the crew that it’s him. They randomly pick that she’s the informer and completely exonerate her. They randomly set the crime they pick and more or less randomly set the the punishment.

Did they do it, posses and sell drugs for party friends? Sure. But they picked like the 5th guy among 7 in terms of his guilt. And they released the 1st gal in terms of crime and danger to society. Everyone else was guilty too and walked away. So is that any way to run a criminal justice system? Randomly, based on their chance of promotion by inventing cartoon stories from raw cloth?

I’d say not. If these are the rules, we enforce them, evenly, properly, legally, with real evidence and some passing care as to the truth. They don’t. But as the juror, that would be outside my task at that moment. I might be suspicious, but could still convict. Would anyone want less? My job is to advertise the truth and demand reform OUTSIDE the jury, every day, as a citizen. That is the appropriate time and place for it, and as you see, I do not shirk my duty.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.