Debt Rattle July 2 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle July 2 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Roy Lichtenstein Woman in Bath 1963   • When Politics Trumps Economics (Roach) • Update on Deflating Property Bubbles in Sydney & Melbourne (WS)
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle July 2 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

• Australian Plastic Bag Ban Sparks Abuse, Violence From Angry Shoppers (Ind.)

That should suffice as to why I’m so bloody pessimistic about almost everything to do with humans, especially in western societies.
    That’s the view from the hermitage…

Dr. D
    Participant

Roach decries, “Why won’t they listen to expert economists? When have we ever gotten anything wrong?”

Trump’s WTO is well-advertised if anybody bothers to listen. It has in fact been remarked that he is somewhat an expressive character. His argument is to have national trade relations, and therefore not global trade agreements. Why? Because if you’re in the WTO, like the PPT, you’re hog-tied because if you move, you hit both Vietnam and Malaysia, while your intent is only to adjust trade that’s gone astray in the Philippines. That’s it…or according to him anyway. And as an approach, that would be perfectly reasonable and how it’s been done for 1,000 years. But don’t count on anyone reporting it that way. Everything is required to be le plus ultra, TEOTWAWKI.

Will it work? Sure, but it’s a complicated mess that will take a long time. And certainly the WTO hasn’t been helping anyone, it’s what Bill signed in for China that was the starting gun for the complete collapse of American industry and 2/3 of America, including Walmart which under Sam Walton was responsibly trying to buy domestic. Personally, I have no preference, you could probably repair the WTO just as well — maybe leaking the credible threat of scrapping it helps get things done. I’m just commenting on the adolescent, apocalyptic reporting, where everything must be Jesus or Hitler.

V. Arnold
    Participant

To give an idea how much water was pumped from the Thai cave with the 13 trapped people (12 teenagers and their coach); local farms have been flooded by the volume of water pumped from the cave over the last 5 days.
    The remaining 500 meters is so narrow a diver with air tank cannot get through; so, they are widening the passage.
    Nine days and counting…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Here’s a graphic of the cave;

Thai cavethai cave
    Well, that didn’t work…

Dr. D
    Participant

Is it a fake leak, a trial balloon? Denninger thinks so:

“It would be ridiculously funny if Trump deliberately “leaked” a fake draft of a bill, and got someone in the media to run with it. The latter part happened. I think the former might have.

Why?

The alleged draft is named “United States Fair And Reciprocal Tariff Act”.

Yeah, ok. Trump called a bill The FART Act.http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=233729

Sounds legit.

zerosum
    Participant

What organization will collect the tariffs?
    Where will the money go?

Why is the price of good going up, for consumers, when the goods were in the country before the tariffs were charged and collected?
    Why are layoffs occuring before the tariffs are applied?
    Will tariffs be applied to goods bought by individuals crossing the border. By Car?
    By plane? By cruise ship?

To reduce and avoid paying a tariff tax or a price hike
    1) do price checks- now
    2) find alternative suppliers
    3) Don’t buy the products with tariffs.

ezlxa1949
    Participant

Greetings. My first comment. Couldn’t resist correcting the lurid newspaper headline:

Australian Plastic Bag Ban Sparks Abuse, Violence From Angry Shoppers (Ind.)

I can report from personal experience tha the plastic bag ban was accepted with NO violence in the rest of Australia. Indeed, generally it was accepted almost with gratitude and relief: at last something is being done. People are switching to re-usable woven shopping bags quite readily. I have. At first I felt odd using one; now I feel odd (and delinquent not using one.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Safe and sound: Thai footballers and their coach are alive and remarkably well after 10 days trapped in a cave.
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1496282/boys-and-coach-found-alive-in-cave

The Britsh cave diver was the first to get to them last night, sometime after 10 pm.
    13 is a lucky number…

V. Arnold
    Participant

The next hurdle is getting them out.
    No mean feat as long as the flood blocks the passages.
    More rain is predicted starting tomorrow (Wednesday).
    Nasty situation…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.