Debt Rattle March 7 2016

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 7 2016

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

DPC Launch of freighter Howard L. Shaw, Wyandotte, Michigan 1900 • Debtor Days Are Over As BIS Calls Time On World Credit Binge (Tel.) • ‘Gathering St
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 7 2016]

chettt
    Participant

I like Steve Keen but really, don’t you think he’s had enough time and tries to explain the Aussie housing bubble? Seem to me the hole keeps getting bigger.

Raleigh
    Participant

Merkel in bed with the Devil – Erdogan. Go, Merkel. Keep making the EU better and better (not). A dictator who is presently taking over and arresting anyone who disagrees with him is a friend, someone you could trust? Come on! Did he instigate the Syrian migrants (80% of whom were NOT living in the Turkish refugee camps) to flee to the EU in order to blackmail Merkel? If he didn’t instigate the migrants to leave Turkey (a safe refuge), was he guilty of looking the other way and not stopping them (or the smugglers who helped them)?

https://mishtalk.com/2016/03/07/merkel-in-bed-with-dictator/#more-35782

Some Iraqis are even returning to Iraq.

“‘It was very bad,’ Omar, 25, said of the German camp.
    ‘Honestly, we were starving there. We ran away because of hunger. They gave us only cheese and tea, and our weekly allowance was €30.’
    They decided to try their luck in Sweden instead, but that didn’t work either.
    ‘When we arrived there, it was winter. It was freezing. They put me in a room with three Syrians.
    ‘I couldn’t speak Arabic and they couldn’t speak Kurdish. We were communicating like deaf people,’ Omar said. After trying Germany one more time, they gave up.
    ‘We said to each other, let’s go home. It’s better than anywhere else,’ he said. […]
    But Omar and Abdullah come from Iraq’s northern Kurdish region, which has been largely spared from fighting with ISIS.
    They are among what experts say is a growing number of migrants who are returning home because of the difficulty of finding housing and employment in Europe.
    Some 70,000 Iraqis joined the tide of refugees and migrants seeking a better life in Europe last year, according to the Geneva-based International Organization for Migration (IOM).
    The Iraqi Refugees Federation, a local NGO, says the number may be twice as high, with some 40,000 coming from the Kurdish region. […]
    Omar had worked as a day labourer in restaurants and supermarkets, while Abdullah had driven a taxi, which he sold to help finance his trip.
    They say their decision to migrate was mainly driven by peer pressure.
    ‘I saw that everybody was leaving and they were saying, It’s like this and that (in Europe).’
    But when I went there it wasn’t like that at all,’ Omar said.”

Peer pressure? That’s what I thought; everybody’s doing it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480247/We-starving-s-not-worth-risking-family-life-Migrants-reveal-hardships-forced-flee-GERMANY-return-war-torn-Iraq.html

Nassim
    Participant

“Spain seizes 20,000 ISIS fighter uniforms being smuggled into Syria and Iraq marked as second-hand clothes in aid packages”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3476246/Spain-seizes-20-000-ISIS-fighter-uniforms-smuggled-Syria-Iraq-marked-second-hand-clothes-aid-packages.html

What is remarkable about this article is that uniforms obviously came from the same sponsor(s). However, the uniforms were destined for several groups not just ISIS. Some of them were designed for the “moderates”.

Nassim
    Participant

I don’t often read the BBC these days. However, here is what seems to be an honest report into Russian attempts to get village elders to make peace with the Syrian governments.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35724986

The main preoccupation of these villagers all along was to save themselves. They never were interested in going off to fight elsewhere for anyone. They “joined” the terrorists to save themselves. Now, they are keen to make sure that the government can protect them and make these deals if they believe that the terrorists are not coming back. Just what any sensible person would do who finds himself and his family in that situation.

rapier
    Participant

It’s funny that occasionally the Chinese government is still called communist and I guess it still calls itself that. Of course what it is or at least what the leaders are is neoliberal. Pretty much the leaders of every functioning government in the world, except Russia, is neoliberal. (little wonder the universal hatred of Russia) Buying into the basic precepts of orthodox economics and why not, that’s how you get rich personally. Not to mention it helps other rich powerful people get more rich and more powerful. A seemingly perfect virtuous circle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.