Debt Rattle May 17 2019

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 17 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Carl Bloch The transfiguration c1865   • Chelsea Manning Jailed Again For Refusing To Testify Against WikiLeaks (RT) • The Revelations of WikiLea
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 17 2019]

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com/2019/05/different-angles.html
    ​ ​There is a lot happening in the world all at once right now. The entire planet is rapidly reconfiguring itself. The world is begging for a new, post-capitalist, post-industrial order to be born, but the overabundance of natural resources that have made previous such revolutions possible (coal for the age of steam, oil for the current oil age) simply no longer exist. All that remains is optimizations, enhancements and reconfigurations of the existing order of things, cutting out that which is most harmful and most dysfunctional. To this end, Western European nations are attempting to reclaim the sovereignty they ceded to the United States and the European Union while Eurasia is coming together to form a massive economic and security conglomerate centered on China and Russia. Both are playing for time, because redirecting trade and financial flows away from the US is quite a process.
    ​ ​The world’s central banks are doing their best to get rid of their US dollar reserves and to buy gold, which, as of this April, they are allowed to consider a risk-free financial asset. Many people now expect gold to go up as a result, but that expectation is based on an illusion. Think of gold as a lighthouse and of fiat currencies as sinking ships: those aboard them may look around and decide that the lighthouse is going up, but that’s just an optical illusion. The purchasing power of fiat currencies is sure to fall (some more than others). The purchasing power of gold will seem to increase, but that will also be an illusion: it will appear to rise against the backdrop of crashing markets, in real estate and physical plant especially. But overall the purchasing power of gold will drop too, because the future purchasing power of any financial asset is determined by just one thing: energy, fossil fuel energy in particular, and energy from crude oil above all. Without energy, nothing within an economy moves, unless it is an agrarian economy based on fodder and animal muscle power.
    https://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2019/05/america-you-are-fired.html

​ ​With Trump shutting down Huawei and China’s entire telecom industry, it was only logical that China would at least try to retaliate, which it has done by formally breaching the US embargo on Iran oil exports. According to ship tracking data on Refinitiv Eikon (i.e. the old Reuters terminal), a tanker carrying Iranian fuel oil in violation of U.S. sanctions has unloaded the cargo into storage tanks near the Chinese city of Zhoushan.
    ​ ​A representative of the oil storage terminal confirmed that the tanker, Marshal Z, discharged nearly 130,000 tonnes of Iranian fuel oil; that marked the end of an odyssey for the cargo that began four months ago.
    ​ ​As Reuters reported on March 20, some Iranian fuel oil had managed to evade the United States’ sanctions on petroleum exports “by using ship-to-ship transfers involving four different ships, including the Marshal Z, and by using forged documents that masked the cargoes as originating from Iraq.”
    ​Amusingly, a second representative from the terminal operator, Zhoushan Jinrun Petroleum Transfer Co, said the cargo could not be Iranian oil, “as the terminal had not received official shipments from Iran in at least the past four years. Both Jinrun representatives declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the matter.”
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-16/mystery-tanker-violates-us-sanctions-unload-iranian-fuel-china-zarif-heads-beijing

​ ​In the latest provocation against Tehran by the US, two Navy destroyers have entered the Persian Gulf as the American military continues to add to its assets in the region to head off any planned ‘aggression’, USNI reports.
    ​ ​The USS McFaul and USS Gonzalez traveled through the Strait of Hormuz Thursday afternoon without being challenged by IRGC forces in the are. They join the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is stationed in the Gulf of Oman, as well as a strike force that includes several B-52 bombers, as the US continues to build up its military presence in the region. Another Aircraft Carrier, the USS Kearsarge, is anchored off the coast of the UAE.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-17/two-more-us-warships-travel-persian-gulf-tensions-iran-escalate

​The Saker gives this tidbit:
    ​ Diplomatic sources – from Russia and Iran – confirm, off the record, there have been secret talks among the three pillars of Eurasian integration – Russia, China and Iran – about Chinese and Russian guarantees in the event the Trump administration’s drive to strangle Tehran to death takes an ominous turn.
    This is being discussed at the highest levels in Moscow and Beijing. The bottom line: Russia-China won’t allow Iran to be destroyed.

What Putin and Pompeo did not talk about

So if you poll ALL likely voters, Bernie Sanders is still in the ​Democratic ​lead. Does this remind you of last time, with Joe playing Hillary?
    CNN rigged a poll to censor out nearly everyone under 45 years of age. Based on this nonsensical false sampling they claim Biden is now in the lead.

CNN & MSNBC Caught Meddling in US Democracy

​The actual, deep crimes, including the murder of leaker Seth Rich, and certainly deep state criminality, are already being investigated. The heat is on this crowd.​ The rats are scattering.
    A dispute has erupted over whether former FBI Director James Comey or his CIA counterpart, John Brennan, promoted the unverified Steele dossier as the Obama-era intelligence community targeted the Trump campaign.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-15/fbi-cia-dispute-erupts-over-whether-comey-or-brennan-pushed-steele-dossier

​What 50 countries are backing Guaido? (13 is close to 50, though..)
    ​https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/05/16/what-50-countries-are-backing-guaido-who-knows-who-cares-if-the-media-say-it-enough-it-must-be-true/

Dr. D
    Participant

“I would rather starve to death than to change my opinion in this regard.”

Congratulations, you have now created cold dragon fire, the grim determination of someone with nothing left to lose. Prison is scary if you’ve never been there; losing your friends, your reputation is bad until they’re already gone. When someone move beyond this however, you have no more leverage. Like Martin Armstrong, they will simply resist you for a thousand years, until dead. What was it that silly man said, “They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me. Then they will have my dead body, but not my obedience.” This is the do or die, this is where no matter who you are, what force is brought, they can no longer win. This is what they saw in the Revolution, where each, mostly very rich men, knew they would for certain hang and did not care. This is what they awoke in the Easter Rebellion, where the Irish lost, and lost, and lost again, and were exhausted, occupied, now impossible to win, to ever be a real nation, and they again rose up and fought again, just ‘cause. “Because I choose to.” Because “I can keep this up all day.”

Tyranny depends on cowardice. That “good men do nothing.” And that alone. Depends on sloth and lies and the other cardinal sins. If men will not adopt those sins voluntarily, then tyranny cannot prevail, because they cannot occupy the same space: it’s one or the other.

Now Manning and so many others say, I don’t care if you ban me, discredit me, slander me, beat me, jail me, because what you’re doing is wrong and I won’t participate. But Shhhh – they still haven’t cottoned on, and I don’t want to ruin the surprise. But what do you think I’m doing? Do you think that I’m anonymous, or that I won’t also be fired, imprisoned, killed for knowing history, for having opinions? The measure is not how you die, but how you live, for only death is certain.

“The United States banned all air transport with Venezuela on Wednesday over security concerns,”

Maybe. There weren’t all that many flights and now they have no air cover for trying to fly in weapons and other meddling. Also they are sitting down to peace talks in Norway, with leverage from both Putin and Trump getting things done. Or not. But this is what happened in NoKo and Syria.

P.S., if we alert and remove our people from Iraq, doesn’t that mean the Americans are leaving Iraq? And that is a) a good thing or b) a bad thing? Where do those Blackwater/Halliburton meddlers go next?

“U.S. troops in the region: 54,000”

Or as the Persians would call them: “a speed bump.” In the Iraq-Iran war, Rumsfeld gave Saddam all military, satellite, intelligence support, and chemical weapons. Yes, that’s why they had them, Mr. Bush. They lost 1,000,000 men in the 10-year war and didn’t give up an inch, with full sanctions on, just as today. “Now why don’t they likes us?” This is what is meant by the Trump quote, “If we were going in, we’d get a h—l of a lot more.” Because to beat Persia we’d have to mobilize, half(?) the nation? Or else level it in pure genocide with nukes? Because otherwise, it’s total nonsense. We can’t beat F-stan or Vietnam, who are cake in comparison. Every ship in the gulf would be at the bottom of the ocean in 30 minutes, guaranteed. Hey, didn’t we do these war games back in the 2nd Gulf war, and lost, lost, lost, then reset the game, and lost again? Yeah, that was before the Sunburn missiles and the S-300. We can’t beat Persia, but on the other hand, they can’t beat us. What would they do, invade Maryland?

“FBI-CIA Dispute Erupts over Whether Comey or Brennan Pushed Steele Dossier (ZH)”

Don’t fight, boys! There are more than enough life-sentence felonies to go around.

“A World Aching for Peace & Stability Can No Longer Afford NATO (Wight)”

Now that Germany has to pay for it, will they give it up? What a meanie. Once they pay anything on their military budget, will they be able to afford socialized medicine?

“US Must Break Up Facebook ‘Monopoly’ (FT Op-Ed)”

Wait: we have anti-monopoly laws? Why aren’t they being used? Say against health insurers or Amazon?
    China and Huawei telling the U.S. they have to surrender. ‘Trump is working against the interests of the American people, who will never stand for a chip costing $5 more, or their jobs back.’ Gosh, when did they learn to know and care for us so well, so benevolently? I’m sold. “We shall surrender on the beaches. We shall surrender in the air. We shall always, always surrender.” Ya know, ‘cause Americans don’t like to fight. Like I said, finally getting somewhere, finally under their skin.

“Greek Austerity Policy ‘Proven To Be Right,’ Says Merkel (K.)”

Good thing they bought all those NATO weapons from Germany, England, and the U.S.! Wouldn’t want to feed anyone or give them heat, the lazy, dirty southerners might survive or something. They’ve only killed what? 20,000 so far?

anticlimactic
    Participant

NATO is now just a bunch of thugs willing to murder and destroy countries on the whim of their leader, the US.

It is to be hoped that those responsible will burn in hell with a constant stream of images of all those people they destroyed.

The main aim now of NATO seems to be starting a [nuclear] war with Russia BUT be in a position to blame Russia for starting it.

I agree with [candidate] Trump that NATO is a dinosaur that should be scrapped. It is in the interest of all of us.

Polder Dweller
    Participant

At least six ravens have been kept at the fortress since the days of King Charles II, who feared the Tower and the kingdom would fall if they were ever allowed to leave.

Well, the Torygraph gets it wrong again. I was at the Tower of London in April 2006 and there were no ravens there. I asked an attendant where we could find them and she pointed to a sign which explained that they had been taken away to a safe place for fear they would catch bird flu.
    The state Britain is in today makes me think the prophecy came true.

Just think about John Bolton as a human being

I saw that quote a while back and I’ve been trying, but it’s really hard. I could imagine him as a walrus, that I could handle, and then Pompeo could be the Eggman, coo-coo ca-choo.

PlanetaryCitizen
    Participant

“Just think about John Bolton as a human being

I saw that quote a while back and I’ve been trying, but it’s really hard. I could imagine him as a walrus, that I could handle, and then Pompeo could be the Eggman, coo-coo ca-choo.”

I love it, best laugh I’ve had so far today.

I don’t refer to it as the United States of Monopoly for nothing. The world continues on its relentless trek down the road of corporatocracy. The new feudalism. Corporations are persons and money is speech. How profane the great experiment in democracy has become. If something is free you’re a product not a customer.

scraplet
    Participant

“But pushing through Brexit at this point is going to get real ugly.”

It’s already ugly! And if they don’t “push it through”, then the biggest political drubbing in modern times is heading for the two ‘main’ parties. Just look at this prediction…

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1129276883269509121

UK EU Election Map

England and Wales completely dominated by the Brexit party, and even totally pro-EU (if you believe the media bullshit) Scotland returning a third of its Brexit Party candidates as MEPs. God, I need a huge bucket for popcorn for next Thursday. And a bigger one for the first session of the EU parliament. And a pitchfork if they ignore the message, “WTO Brexit is fine – get on with it!”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.