Debt Rattle November 25 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 25 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Floris van Schooten Still-Life with Glass, Cheese, Butter and Cake 1st half 17th century   • Assange Lawyers Barred From Visiting Client Ahead Of
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 25 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

People may feel vindicated in some way because of this, especially because of Trump. But really, expressing environmental damage in dollars is a road to nowhere at all. If economic growth is your main worry, you’re not too smart.

I had to chuckle at that. It’s spot on though…

This is yet another reason I have little to no hope; and then there are the bazillion other reasons to keep forever growth company…

Dr. D
    Participant

Quote of the Day:

“If you think the general public and our youth are acting madly, the supposedly brilliant Ivy League educated financial minds are saying “hold my beer”. The Intellectual Yet Idiot central banker academic puppets of Wall Street have done what they do best – blow bubbles “ –Quinn

V. Arnold
    Participant

Unless the god’s intervene; Assange is history.
    That’s the cold, hard reality facing him; he’ll be crucified on the alter of freedom and democracy…
    …and the band played on…

Dr. D
    Participant

“George Papadopoulos’s involvement with a professor who told him the Russians had “dirt” on Clinton”

So…why would we care about George? Sounds like the Professor was the one with the knowledge/leak, which was no revelation. Everybody on earth, inside and outside the media, already had terrible, election-losing dirt on Clinton going back past Arkansas even into her being fired in Watergate. “Papadopoulos! How dare your ears hear the words coming out of my mouth! Now should another guy ask you if you ever heard me say them, you’re a criminal!” …But why waste time? Nobody cares: My side, right or wrong (and usually wrong).

Love the “incredibly quick” 2 year investigation. Quick for government, perhaps, since they ever finished at all. So if these Russians really have an inside hack to rig elections, and their agents are out there today, overthrowing government, you a) have done nothing to find and stop them and b) waited until AFTER another whole election to even name anything/anyone/anywhere. Incredible, indeed. As in, “not credible.”

And the name Milgram is amusing. Yes, we all believe Milgram now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Russia a Greater Threat Than ISIS or Al-Queda – New British Army Chief

So many directions with this: Because any nuclear power is obviously a greater threat? Because ISIS and Al-Q were never a threat? Because a nation with 6 time zones but only 150M people, and a GDP the size of Italy somehow needs more land? Because a single nation with the GDP of Italy is a threat to anyone at all? Because being 1,000 miles away, BRITAIN is under threat? Maybe the threat to Britain is really that they’re collapsing under the cost of their completely inept, unfieldable military, with carrier with no planes, ships with no missiles, and planes that can’t fly in light rain? But somehow — somehow! — that’s not even the funniest line in this self-lampooning article:

This “expert,” this master of the universe, this IYI, has real credentials: “He led the hunt [to NOT find] Osama bin Laden after the 9/11 terror attacks and later spearheaded Britain’s role in the campaign to [NOT] defeat Isis.” And with credentials like constant, high-profile, unmitigated failure, you know we ought to be listening to him. But it’s The Guardian, of course. Leader of the pack [of factless, arrogant, totally biased media lemmings as they run off a cliff into the sea]. Go Guardian! Arriba!

“…That has until now often allowed those seeking refuge to wait disappear altogether without permission or process on safer U.S. soil.” Fixed it.

Amazon To Contribute Over Half Of Q4 Earnings Growth For S&P 500 Retail (MW)
    This is why they need tens of billions in tax breaks from the businesses and broke citizens for their 2nd and 3rd “headquarters”. Headquarters? If it’s headquarters #4 don’t you mean “regional office”? And why is Pa’s Diner tax-subsidizing Bezos and the retailer that owns half US GDP growth? Why ask why? It’s not corruption FROM the poor TO the rich that occurs every. single. time. government gets power enough to pick winners and losers. It’s not a monopoly. It’s just how we do things now. It’s “capitalism failing”, as in, “we failed to have any capitalism.”

EU Unhappy With China Penetrating Greek Energy Market (K.)
    China’s not supposed to hang Greece by the neck: WE are.

Climate Change Will Wreck Economic Growth – US Government Report (MW)

That’s nothing compared to what will happen if there’s global cooling, which appears to be happening on schedule. Global cooling topped empires worldwide, without fail, the last few centuries it happened, because without crops, without food, all bets are off. And it IS cooling now as the sunspots halt, the U.S. has the coldest Thanksgiving in 150 years, it’s snowing on the Adriatic in Croatia, and with DEEP snows in Greece. This after a summer in which they had the coldest Australia in 100 years. But the news is on how there wasn’t snow enough in Finland, not that it’s snowing in the Mediterranean, in the Sahara and Spain, as last year.

Now, one odd storm –or even the dozens I referenced — does not a pattern, nor a theory make, however, we seem to be recording the tipping back into cooling, which does in fact follow a centuries-old science of sunspots and sun cycles, which seems to be again substantiated. So keep eyes on old science, not paid science, being right and the tax-grab to crush the world’s poorest by raising their costs, being so, so wrong.

zerosum
    Participant

How will the immigrants feed, house etc. themselves?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-mexico/trump-says-asylum-seekers-to-wait-in-mexico-incoming-government-denies-idUSKCN1NT0T7

Mexico’s incoming government denied they had struck any deal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migrants-wont-see-armed-soldiers-border-213733264.html

There are no tents or camps being set up to house migrants, McCullough said. Medics are on hand to treat troops and border patrol agents — not migrants — for cuts, bruises and any other problems.
    Combat engineers — whose duties on the battlefield include setting up tactical obstacles to prevent the enemy from moving freely — are using their expertise to string wire on border walls and erect temporary fencing, McCullough said.

Construction engineers have been assigned to weld together barriers and move shipping containers to act as walls.

The current mission is scheduled to end Dec. 15 for now. It’s unclear how much it will cost and military leaders have refused to provide an estimate.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/active-duty-troops-at-southern-border-to-cost-72m-pentagon-says

The cost of sending approximately 5,900 active-duty personnel to the U.S.-Mexico border to provide support to Customs and Border Protection amounts to $72 million, a Pentagon spokesman said Tuesday.
    In its report to Congress on Tuesday, the Pentagon said the estimated $72 million cost includes $19 million for personnel, $20 million for transportation of personnel, equipment and supplies, $28 in operating expenses and $5 million for concertina wire and other border barrier materials.
    The report added that as of Nov. 14, about $14 million in actual payments for expenses such as travel, supplies and transportation had been reported by the units involved.

kultsommer
    Participant

Assange tick-tock clock is becoming louder and louder, as in some film noir of our time.
    UK generals see Russia as a threat as to justify their existence and most formative years spent parroting “Yesss-sir! I am shit-sir!”, and God forbid, to concern themselves with utter poverty in the Country that they are “defending”.
    In the absence of right angles and straight lines it takes a moment to realize that lump on the left of the painting is a butter. Dutch still life and domestic scenes painters of XVII century were something.

V. Arnold
    Participant

In the absence of right angles and straight lines it takes a moment to realize that lump on the left of the painting is a butter.

Yes, it took me a moment to identify the butter. Mostly by the process of elimination. 😉

vlad
    Participant

Dr D

Are you channelling Nassim with this “coldest Australia” meme? I can’t remember last summer being any different from the other scorchers we have had in recent years. But then, I’m only one person in one place, so I thought I’d better consult the relevant data…

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/season/aus/archive/201802.summary.shtml

I think the pertinent phrase is “Summer 2017-18 was exceptionally warm for Australia”…

ezlxa1949
    Participant

I live in Oz. One of my social circle is a retired senior meteorologist (from the Bureau of Meterology, a government agency). He knows where the data is and how to interpret it. He is adamant that global warming is a fact.

Over the past 40 years I have definitely noticed it getting warmer in our part of the country.

Will the Earth experience global cooling? Maybe. maybe not. Ideally we would be prepared for both. However, the false god Market seems to be ignoring all of this and pursues only Business as Usual.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.