Debt Rattle September 14 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 14 2022

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Bill7
    Participant

The evolution question is an interesting one, and I have no solid answer. I did buy a book a few years ago
    called ‘Why Evolution is True’, (Coyne, Ithink) and the author’s arguments seem to me like little more than hand-waving: “over millions of years..”, and stuff like that. Fine; but what’s the driving primeval impulse, if any? If there is not one, “millions of years” would in themselves change nothing..

A pop-sci book that had some possible explanatory value, at least to me, was Morrison’s ‘The Spirit in the Gene’, which did offer some plausible ideas, right or wrong.

The “novelist” Houellebec’s ‘Elementary Particles’ is I think the most pertinent-to-the-present reading I’m doing, though I can only take a paragraph or two of it at a time.

Bill7
    Participant

Don’t read Houellebecq if you’re feeling unsettled, by the way. He makes Gide’s L’Immoraliste seem like a walk in the park.

Dr. D
    Participant

“permitting others to be baddies (out of misguided niceness) condemns them to a hell worse than hell . . . and is thus not very nice at all.”

Yes. Justice. And Mercy. They appear to be opposites at the middle level most occupy. However, what mercy is it to let a man damn himself? What mercy is it to let him prey on others and take them with him? Or take himself to his own destruction? To have mercy is “to not be vindictive”, in my general, unexact opinion. To make a man take the consequences of his actions, especially when young, especially when the matter is small, is a real mercy because it keeps them from going further astray to their much greater sorrow.

No one wants to fight because it isn’t “nice.” It’s the not fighting, surrendering your duty, surrendering your children to the bad behavior of others, that strengthens them as lords over you is what isn’t nice. If you’re nice, you’re at the minimum nice to nice people and innocents. Surrendering is failing both. It’s merely evil, and cowardice, and lying in telling yourself evil is good, and good, evil, just as they said you would.

I’ve gotten pretty sick of it. I’ve been exposed to raw self-serving evil since I was a child. No adult wanted to shelter me from it. Always some new excuse for inaction. Always a new reason we couldn’t have justice today, back when it was easier, and the evil far smaller. Always to show mercy and be nice to those harming us. Here: give them a taco so they’ll be much stronger in the beatings. How is any of that Mercy? To fail so utterly at Justice that every child is newly at risk — and yourself — each day? Why have the word “Justice” at all? You’re never going to use it. And why use the word “Mercy”? Just use “Cowardice” “Complicity” and “Surrender” instead.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

“I hope I am wrong but I expect implosion of the western world and associated population shedding. If this occurs all that matters is can I survive.”

Survival is chump fodder. Price of admission to the theater of life. What matters is living like you mean it, especially the part of life call love. One can’t always survive. But until death arrives, one can live like a free being not a cultural zombie.

I think Greta’s cute. Nice frank little Nordic mug, great hair, powerful body. What’s being done to her psyche,however isn’t cute, But then, what is done to most western psyches is ugly.

“Self love is more cunning than the most cunning man in the world.” Reflections; or Sentences and Moral Maxims
    By Francois Duc De La Rochefoucauld, Prince de Marsillac.

Bill7
    Participant

stuff like that.

upstateNYer
    Participant

Checking in at the end of the day and … wow. Quite a bit of deep onion-peeling philosophical thoughts going on here today. Some of the comments I’ll have to re-read tomorrow when I’m not tired.

However, agree 100% with Bosco’s comment #115898. Yeah, Bosco, we keep staring at and arguing over stupid sh*t that will impact absolutely nothing when the dust all settles. Whenever that is.

I remain slack jawed at the amount of time spent analyzing minutia that has no impact whatsoever on the greater scheme of things. The soup du jour: Russia/Ukraine. Omg, the crazy level of detailed, daily analysis of who’s winning at any given moment. Seriously? A nuclear super power is going to lose to Ukraine? Huh? Did Russia suddenly decide they’d rather have a leisurely tea party in the garden than fight to win? If push comes to shove, which anyone with a couple brain cells rubbing together hopes doesn’t happen, this conflict is no contest. Why are we analyzing it to the nth degree on a daily basis?

And … sorry, but, how can ANYONE take a “war” seriously when leaders and celebrities are flying in and out of the “war zone” like they’re heading off on a vacation? Worse yet … a spread in Vogue of Volodymyr and Olena … during the “war” from their, what bunker or something, in Kiev.

My god, we humans have become too stupid for words.

upstateNYer
    Participant

This little puppet show must be one of the winners: “Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy virtually rang the Opening Bell of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) today, inviting businesses around the world to invest in the future of Ukraine.

Oh for crying out loud. You CAN’T take this stuff seriously, folks, can ya?

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/president-he-volodymyr-zelenskyy-rings-bell-at-nyse-to-signify-ukraine-is-open-for-business-2022-09-06

WES
    Participant

I have a new geen electric chain saw nick named Greta.
    Unfortunately she has just crapped out on me.
    So I can’t say she is looking very cute!

upstateNYer
    Participant

Go Denmark!

Denmark: No More COVID Vaccines Offered for Under-50

https://igorchudov.substack.com/p/denmark-no-more-covid-vaccines-offered

upstateNYer
    Participant

WES: do they actually make electric chain saws? lol. (I suppose I could google that, I’m too lazy)

zerosum
    Participant

If you like books that pushes science into fiction try

Home

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

upstateNYer

Ringing the stock exchange bell was just the start.

Pushing the boundary of the surreal, Zellensky is to be the guest speaker at the forthcoming weapons manufacturer and supplier conference in Texas. I guess it will be a virtual appearance, rather than in the flesh.

Redacted has it covered..

Afewknowthetruth
    Participant

Remember when Japan was a ‘powerhouse economy’ and Japan was buying up the world?

It’s been a relentless downhill slide since 1989.

Today’s disaster numbers:.

‘BIGGEST MONTHLY DEFICIT ON RECORD
    Japan ran its biggest single-month trade deficit on record in August as imports surged on high energy costs and a slump in the yen, exposing the economy’s vulnerability to external price pressures. Imports rose +50% in a year driven almost exclusively by energy imports. Their cost in yen ballooned because the value of the yen fell.’

Michael Reid
    Participant

I am fairly sure the 7 point bull moose I killed the other day was desperately trying to survive by running away. Those that did survive were in a location not subjected to the violence

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Michael Reid: rereading my response, I see it can come across as condescending. My bad. I was lecturing myself, not you, really. Well Hush Mah Mowf

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.