From Yellen Put To Yellen Massacre

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum From Yellen Put To Yellen Massacre

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

NPC Kidwell’s Market on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC 1920 I think I’ll just give you a slew of quotes, and then you can figure out if you can fi
    [See the full post at: From Yellen Put To Yellen Massacre]

Ken Barrows
    Participant

I don’t know. Isn’t it easy to say (if you’re a central banker) that the employment market isn’t that strong with labor force participation around 1977 levels and inflation is subdued because the CPI says so? Thus, let’s keep rates where they are and see what the market does.

It will come to pass that the US economy cannot “grow” anymore with 10 year UST notes above 3% for more than a brief period of time. If the Fed thinks the same, it won’t do more than a token rate hike or two.

bluebird
    Participant

Assuming Janet Yellen knows what is coming with a rate hike, why did she agree to be the Fed Chair, unless perhaps she would become very very very wealthy?

jal
    Participant

After reading this article, I don’t see the global importance of Kiev or Athens problems.

John Day
    Participant

In deflation, property “ownership” has to be enforced, as creditors attempt to take possession from debtors. ‘This leads to violent disagreements, since it is human livelihood at issue.
    The bigger ones are wars.
    The smaller ones get a lot of different names, depending on size and parties involved, huh?
    The enforcers-of-property-rights are all arrayed in their ranks, with their tanks and running practice plays, as far as the eye can see.

@Bluebird

Janet Yellen was chosen to Chair the Fed.
    I don’t think it’s an “honor” one can refuse, when one’s shoulder is tapped, no matter what is about to happen.
    “We think you’re right for the job.”

Raleigh
    Participant

Ken – “I don’t know. Isn’t it easy to say (if you’re a central banker) that the employment market isn’t that strong with labor force participation around 1977 levels and inflation is subdued because the CPI says so? Thus, let’s keep rates where they are and see what the market does.”

You may be right, except that’s not what the Fed has been saying, nor what is being spewed all over mainstream media. The line is that the jobs market is heating up (even though we know it’s not), and that’s that! We’re being told that Russia is being aggressive and expansionary (even though we all know it’s not). Weather has been used to blame downturns in housing, etc. (even though we all know it wasn’t the weather). Lies, lies and more lies, but they all produce a careful narrative. Obama says the U.S. needs more H1-B visas as there aren’t enough people to fill positions in the U.S. (which is again a lie). All lies.

When psychopaths want to do something, they want to do it. They will use a story line which many will buy (those “not in the know”), leaving those “in the know” screaming from the sidelines, except no one is listening because they have no outlet; they’re not invited on the big screen. The Fed will do what it wants, for the same reason they brought in their QE’s – because they want to, because it’s beneficial to those they serve. We all knew that QE did nothing more than grease the pockets of the wealthy, but most of the citizens bought the story line that it was for “the people”. Yeah, right, like that’s ever been a reason they do anything!

The story line is important. It’s again been nicely set up.

jal
    Participant

( Not related to big pictures)

https://www.peacearchnews.com/business/294749811.html
    Gas prices soar above $1.30 despite lagging crude oil
    The average Metro Vancouver price for regular gas of $1.31 as of Monday afternoon   is back to approximatey the same level it was in early October.  Back then, crude oil was above $85 a barrel compared to about $50 now after a slight rebound from its January lows.
    MJ Ervin officials expect a further gradual rise in retail gas prices in the months ahead.

Vancouver Historical Gas Price Charts Provided by GasBuddy.com

Raleigh
    Participant

Yeah, jal, we blinked, and it was over! Found this in the comments section under the article:

It talks about “round-trip” trading of energy (slide 9). Don’t know if this is true, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Raleigh
    Participant

How the Euro Killed Democracy by Dan Hannan (MEP) – the people no longer have a voice, and it is leading to more, not less, animosity between countries.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

D-Day in six days, eh? Just like that? And how long, again, has Japan been Zirp bound?

Grandma might do a few basis points to cool stocks a tad, and even to slow security demand a notch, but I won’t be holding my breath on 100 BP moves until I see lines start to form at the toilet paper section of grocery stores and at gas pumps.

Still, at today’s rates, one doesn’t really leave much on the table by cutting durations back to a couple years or so ;-).

Professorlocknload
    Participant

,,,Aside from the fact jawboning is free to the Fed, but the real deal is high risk. I’m sure some apparatchik in that evil bureaucracy has contemplated that? Most likely, calculated it!

Formerly T-Bear
    Participant

@ Professorlocknload, reply #19795

I do so double dare you to use either Grandma or Granny over at Naked Capitalism (see commentary, look for *Ian* and following mêlée)

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/03/dear-federal-reserve-now-time-raise-interest-rates-really-seriously.html#comments

The Madam des Salon might enjoy the additional traffic (take this at multiple levels, SVP). [Spoiler alert] Seems the Madam and Salon conflate an endearing term with ad hominem to lynch mob fever; quite the rational free zone created, you would likely enjoy the splendid spectacle of equating a *granny* to some imagined ad hominem e.g.:

Janet Yellen, a surviving crone from Burnham Wood, decapitated by a shard breaking through a glass ceiling, replaced by small albino pumpkin (de seeded) with matching white wig, vacuous, without the where-with-all to coherently assemble a simple two word reply to a yes or no question.

(sorry for the self quote of what was at hand, in mind)

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Formerly T-Bear

Yep, a genuine jaw dropper over there. Shame on you for non-PC behavior. 😉

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Formerly T-Bear

Janet Yellen, a surviving crone from Burnham Wood, decapitated by a shard breaking through a glass ceiling, replaced by small albino pumpkin (de seeded) with matching white wig, vacuous, without the where-with-all to coherently assemble a simple two word reply to a yes or no question.

Nice touch, very nice…

pipefit
    Participant

@johnDay. The rules of the road here at TAE state the ‘deflation’ is a DROP in the money supply. But y-o-y, M1,M2, and M3 are all UP about 7%, except m1, up almost 10%. So by Raul’s rule, not only is there no ‘deflation’, but were actually looking at the start of hyper INFLATION, if those ‘M’ charts start ticking even higher.

The USA economy is getting a bump from the drop in oil prices, because gasoline is lower, but capital spending by oil companies is just now starting to drop significantly. Production, domestically, is actually still rising!! So we are headed for $30 oil, or lower, but that is prices, not money supply. Certainly the fed knows this drop is coming, but perhaps they will raise interest rates anyway, for unknown reasons.

Mike Twain
    Participant

Capital is starting to flow to the last safe haven. Which is just where Uncle Sam and the Wall Street banksters want it to go.
    This is when the BRICS learn what the working class of UseYa found out the hard way. Fresh meat for the financial vultures and if a few million get killed along the way….well, you can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.