Interview Nicole Foss for ‘A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity’

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Interview Nicole Foss for ‘A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity’

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

This almost 2-hour long interview was recorded in Samuel Alexander’s backyard in a Melbourne suburb in April 2015. Part of it is slated to be used in
    [See the full post at: Interview Nicole Foss for ‘A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity’]

barnaby33
    Participant

A simpler life is almost as possible as less children! In that both will happen, but not willingly. I have yet to read of, or hear about a society that willingly de-complexified, ever.

SeanG
    Participant

I think the producers should rush this documentary to air or it will no longer be a heads up, for viewers, but rather an explanation of what happened! Nicole…you make so much sense. You crystallize everything that keeps me awake at night yet can’t put into words myself.

jal
    Participant

I’m trying to implement a simpler life style.
    I can go camping for a week end and live off a cooler of food.
    Next, I’ll try to implement a camping trip that last for a full week with only what I bring with me.
    I love a hot shower so I don’t know if I’ll be able to have an “ecological footprints that are too high to be universalised.” 😉

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ jal
    There have been solar showers for years; they entail a black plastic bag, hose w/shower head, and a loop to hang from a tree.

bluebird
    Participant

I suppose one could consider what is coming, to be an extended camping trip w/o any luxuries.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

Absolutely brilliant analysis. I’m half way through a second viewing already. Nobody does it better, Nicole.

At some point, I’d like to hear the TAE thinking about:
    1. Thorium and fusion reactor potential
    2. The TPP and other fascist trade treaties
    3. The use of firearms as a means of defense.

WRT that third point, Nicole rightly stated that a virtue of small, tight communities is their ability to defend themselves from outside forces. Specifically, how is that successfully done if not with firearms?

What a beautiful venue for the interview, too. Many thanks.

Greenpa
    Participant

Book.

You know I just cranked one out, Nicole; and a grand trauma it was. But. Needed doing, and reception has been startlingly good so far. AND – incidentally; my book can be traced back to connecting with you, right here. Long chain but – quite true.

You’ll reach more with the book. One of the reasons I undertook the horror was talking at a large Permaculture thing- the kids were buying any book you’d wave at them; they’re starving.

Nicole Foss

Greenpa, I did get a tentative offer from New Society to write a book, and it is something I need to do at some point. I know how long it would take though, and it would make it more difficult in the meantime for me to write about up to date stuff and get it out to people ASAP. It would be 6 months to write, then 18 months to get published, and it would be too late then to be much of a warning for people. I’ll probably write it as a retrospective when it’s already too late for warnings. I need to update quite a few of my primers and convert them to footnoted essays rather than essays full of hyperlinks. I know I’d reach a lot of people with a book, just not quickly.

Greenpa
    Participant

Nicole; yup. It’s a long process all right. I was approached to write a book about Topic A; thought hard about it for a year and ended up telling the publisher “I can’t; takes too long…” They came back with “Well – how about a book on just one aspect?” Still took a year to write; but… it was probably worth it. I think. 🙂

TonyPrep
    Participant

US dry gas production is going up again (and has been for quite some time) after a long recent plateau. Why is that? I was expecting a fall, after the plateau, but it started rising again, and continued. If the gas rig count is down and wells are depleting at 60% per year, I don’t understand how production can continue to rise, even while wholesale prices remain depressed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.