Nicole Foss Talks Energy, Psychology, Collapse and The Future

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Nicole Foss Talks Energy, Psychology, Collapse and The Future

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dorothea Lange Hoe culture in the South. Poor white, North Carolina July 1936 Nicole Foss recently participated in a live Google Hangouts (not Skype.
    [See the full post at: Nicole Foss Talks Energy, Psychology, Collapse and The Future]

Gravity
    Participant

Gravity is an actual algorithm.

TonyPrep
    Participant

RE doesn’t really think through what he’s saying. When he talks about reducing electricity demand to just the essentials, with remaining fossil fuels used to help make/repair the much smaller non-renewable infrastructure for renewables, he not only assumes that future generations will figure out how to manage without fossil fuels, as they decline but he also assumes that a vastly reduced market for fossil fuels will still allow fossil fuel companies to profitably (both in money and energy terms) to supply that vastly reduced demand. I don’t think he’s quite cottoned on to the fact that everything is changing. Nicole is absolutely right that you can’t run an industrial economy on renewables. Nor can RE run his SUN economy with them, for very long.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ TonyPrep
    I’m inclined to agree with you. Nicole has obviously thought this through; it was this video-cast where I finally understood Nicole’s position. Previous, I was inclined towards hyperbolic protestations.
    I don’t see this as a sudden event; but a more fluid process. Geographically; different geographical areas will be effected in different ways over time.
    However; we’re all on spaceship earth; there is no escape in the end…
    We’ll pay for our transgressions one way or the other…

SteveB
    Participant

Nicole, hearing Gail refer to declining prices in one or two of her comments sparked a thought: might it be more useful to refer to declining profits rather than declining prices, since that’s where the spiraling impact occurs: with the businesses?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.