Treason? Get A Life!

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Treason? Get A Life!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ivan Aivazovsky Among the waves 1898   Yeah, just keep ’em coming, right, so that when the last one falls flat on its face people will have alrea
    [See the full post at: Treason? Get A Life!]

V. Arnold
    Participant

I think it’s done; Brenner already used the coup word.
    Trump is not in control…
    This may be the perfect storm for the overthrow of the U.S. government by “true” patriots.
    Many books and a few movies tell it well…
    In fact, it’s straight out of Seven Days in May from 1964; Jorden Lyman President, wanting a truce with the Soviet Union. A veritable blueprint…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Ivan Aivazovsky has indeed captured waves in his paintings; having been to sea, I know this.
    The terror and curiosity of being in the trough of a 30′ swell for the first time, in a 40′ double ender.
    I feel like one of the chosen; having seen the green flash…

zerosum
    Participant

Countries in the world by population (2018)
    http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

# 3 U.S. 326,766,748
    # 9 Russia 143,964,709
    ======
    Get the big picture!!!!
    You can re-organize the lists
    Try the migrant collum.
    Ask yourself why are people leaving or going to a country

John Day
    Participant

Former California Governator has these words to emote for current POTUS, emoted fervently in 30 second video clip that went semi-viral…
    “I mean, you stood there like a little wet noodle, like a little fan boy, I mean… I was asking myself when are you going to ask him for an autograph or a selfie or something like that? I mean, you literally sold out to this press conference our intelligence community, our justice system and worst of all our country.”
    “You’re the President of the United States you shouldn’t do that. What’s the matter with you?’ Whatever happened to the strong words or to the strength of Ronald Reagan, when he stood there at the Berlin wall and said: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall? What happened to all that?”
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-17/what-happened-ronald-reagan-schwarzenegger-blasts-fanboy-trump-over-putin-meeting

Mish Shedlock: ​ The mass hysteria following Trump’s meeting with Putin is likely to last for days. Most are outraged. Few see the light.
    https://www.themaven.net/mishtalk/economics/mass-hysteria-vkQlQ1iuLEmF5S9-DqEx0A/

The Voice of (t)Reason:
    ​ “As for who to believe and who you can’t believe… can you believe at all – you can’t believe anyone.” Vladimir Putin
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-17/putin-denies-having-dirt-trump-calls-accusations-election-interference-utterly

(Feel threatened much, John?)
    Former Obama-era CIA Director – and ubiquitous tweeter of anti-Trump rhetoric – John Brennan just unleashed the most aggressive comment yet on the Trump-Putin Summit, claiming it was an act of treason.
    “Why did Trump meet 1 on 1 with Putin? What might he be hiding from Bolton, Pompeo, Kelly, & the American public?How will Putin use whatever Trump could be hiding to advantage Russia & hurt America? Trump’s total lack of credibility renders spurious whatever explanation he gives.”
    “Donald Trump’s press performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of ‘high crimes and misdemeanors,'” Brennan tweeted. “It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???”
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-16/john-brennan-blasts-trumps-press-conference-nothing-short-treasonous

​Peace Talk Between Nuclear Superpowers Offends America’s Assholes and Morons​, Caitlin Johnstone:
    When I was a little girl I used to end all my nightly prayers with the words, “And please no nuclear war, and peace on earth. Amen.”​ ​
    https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/peace-talk-between-nuclear-superpowers-offends-americas-assholes-and-morons-14158ef5cade

Beginning his joint press conference with Vladimir Putin, President Trump declared that U.S. relations with Russia have “never been worse.”
    He then added pointedly, that just changed “about four hours ago.”​…He has rejected the fundamental premises of American foreign policy since the end of the Cold War and blamed our wretched relations with Russia, not on Vladimir Putin, but squarely on the U.S. establishment… On Syria, Trump indicated that he and Putin are working with Bibi Netanyahu, who wants all Iranian forces and Iran-backed militias kept far from the Golan Heights. As for U.S. troops in Syria, says Trump, they will be coming out after ISIS is crushed, and we are 98 percent there.. Pat Buchanan
    ​http://buchanan.org/blog/trump-calls-off-cold-war-ii-129662

V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum

And your point is lost on me…
    WTF are you talking about?
    Your link? WTF?
    Please, what is your point?

zerosum
    Participant

There is a bully on this planet.
    He is 3 times bigger than Russia.

The talk is that USA did not act like a bully with Putin

regionswork
    Participant

<ahref=”https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/farewell_address.html”>President Eisenhower’s Farewell Address, 1961 set out the problem. The military-industrial-legislative complex in the U.S. and other nations keep the game going, as do the other complexes that use the same playbook. Politicians that have to be elected need money to run, so they play the game as it has evolved. They did not make the game.

In 1967-8, at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, there were many protesting against the war in Vietnam. I was surprised though by one guy who was ready to go fight in Israel at the time of the Six-Day War on 1967.

Somehow, following my nose in the library stacks, then open 24/7, I found out the Vietnam conflict was a war of liberation. In the ongoing fight against Communism, the U.S. was not promoting democracy, but supporting right wing dictatorships. Meanwhile, when I heard sirens at night, I expected incoming missiles.

This was the climate of fear the Cold War had created. Still, the stupidity of war was clear. Why was that the way of the world?

With the end of the Cold War there was no peace dividend. Dismantling of some nuclear weapons eventually let me relax about a Soviet first strike, though other nations play the game regionally.

In the 1960s, the University of Wisconsin – Madison had a nuclear engineering program and small reactor. I saw it when visiting the campus for a science program as a high school senior.

On campus 1967-8, a house mate said that one of the Indian students was there to bring the bomb to India. Obviously that plan worked, though many probably were sent.

As one who worked on promoting cooperation between local governments for regional planning to enable development, geo-politics at a small scale, there were successes after 20 years.

When the experts said, in a 1998 summit, regional cooperation had failed in the U.S., I was confused, since my region had successes. (thus my user name – regionswork).

Analyzing the situation, I had some contrary conclusions about notions of cooperation which I put into three theses. 1. Community precedes cooperation. (If you want something done, you go out and build community around the need, issue, action,… From that common base, cooperation can begin to move forward. Solutions have to be win-win-win-… for all around the table. Many examples of this in the world, this just a naming).

2. Community is how life solves all problems. (This applies from human to microbe to plant to animals to tribes to organizations to empires to… To persist in life, to keep growing, answers, changes, adaptations are needed it you did. Environmental change can occur to fast in some cases. Community intelligence, the breeding community is the intelligent design mechanism. There is failure of intelligence, so extinction may end one groups evolution.

3. The primary purpose of community is security. (This came to me after 9-11. At the time of an event you go to the aid of the needy and isolate the perpetrators. In disaster, this community motivated response deep in us, for we carry the genetics of the survivors, come into play to help those in dire need. The nature of security changes as human communities advance.)

I’m working on a 4th thesis. Something like: Security is relative and impermanent. World wide human organization is a mix of tribal and nation-state territorial units. Power and domination can provide security and freedom for the few or the many. At many scales it can be informed self governance, or a protection racket.

In order to have some peace for families, a hegemonic protection is accepted, even if restrictive. Existence of alternatives may not be visible. Education about the world can make this known, or it may be intuited.

Competition can not be taken out of life in the world. Cooperation is not the opposite of competition. Competition makes us stronger. What is needed is a level playing field and rules. All the competitors need to cooperate to make the rules and maintain fairness. The World Cup did that, as does the Olympics and all legitimate sports. This has been known for centuries.

War is wasteful and allocates resources poorly. Communities require security forces, defense of borders and policing. Protection is often a racket.

Could it be humanity is living beyond what the planet can support? There’s all that unpayable debt. The can is not kicked down the road. Refinancing debt sends it into the future, avoiding acknowledgement of the poor use of the initial wealth.

In future there will be less. How we are organized is what will count. We can sit around and argue now. People are doing the best they can everyday just to get by. News of the weather, traffic, local events is useful.

In 1972 the notion was presented to the world that there are “limits to growth”. That was not recognized in any meaningful way. Julian L. Simon’s 1981 book “The Ultimate Resource” said more human minds meant any problem of resource scarcity would be solved.

The experience of economic growth has been declining for many for 20 years or more. Admitting limits is not something easy to do, so we blame others. Blaming is the means of covering the fact that you or your party don’t know what to do. There’s no quick fix.

Another book published in 1981 was “Voluntary Simplicity” by Duane Elgin. Two paths were offered.

Involuntary austerity may appear in the form of a depression. A period of conservative, simple living, that avoided blaming others and war, giving time for a thoughtful rebalancing of the world’s environmental systems and economies would be a miracle.

Will President Donald Trump’s actions lead the world to this sort of resolution? I’m praying.

casamurphy
    Participant

Trump has no style or finesse. He can’t do anything correctly. He is basically an idiot. He could start shitting gold bricks a mile a minute into the US Treasury and I would still hate his guts. I applaud anyone anywhere who helps feed the unrelenting criticism of anything about him. Please! All I yearn for at this point is a president who speaks in coherent sentences and has at least a 5th grade vocabulary! Even though I basically agree with Caitlin Johnstone about the need to change USA’s foreign policy, I resent the bumbling chaos, corruption, and incompetence spewing forth from Trump’s core. He is the proverbial broken clock and I will never give him credit for ever being right about anything.

V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum
    There is a bully on this planet.
    He is 3 times bigger than Russia.
    The talk is that USA did not act like a bully with Putin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Okay, got it.

But remember, size doesn’t matter; Russia punches 4 times above its weight. 😉

dejadad
    Participant

What can I say, except that this is what KarlMarx foretold, that capitalism (and its enabler) would consume itself in the destruction of its own fire.

Dr. D
    Participant

The debt is fake. It only exists in human minds, as a fantasy. Freeze the planet in time and fly around looking at it. Do you see debt anywhere? There are fields making things, and people eating them. Factories are creating so many goods the price is approaching worthless, and people using them. Energy is flowing up and out like a tree. There are people, animals, plants, ecosystems. They are functioning as they are right this instant. So if they can exist now, why shouldn’t they persist as well? Evolve as they have for 10,000 years? Just a thought experiment to get out of our usual way of looking at things, filled as they are with the noise and false urgency of monkey-mind.

Casa, while well met, that does not seem to be a logical argument but an emotional one. Emotions don’t make bread, only work does. You can take up arms against the President if you wish regardless of the good or bad of his actions, but it would seem more productive to use his actions and nature to achieve positive ends. If he’s ending wars in Korea, Syria, Afghanistan, and NATO, why shouldn’t we help him with that while he’s around? The next guy may again be a Bush or McCain and it would be a shame not to set back the war machine by 100 years if we can. You’re raging against apples because you wanted potatoes. Use what you’ve got.

Dr. D
    Participant

Dejadad that may be true, but Marx has been wrong on timing for 151 years, and killed 100 million of your fellow men.

What do I say of capitalism? That just means people can make, own, and trade their own property without it being stolen from them. It just means that when people fail, they go bankrupt and start over. Capitalism? Maybe we should try it sometime, because I don’t see any here.

John Day
    Participant

Good essay, Regionswork. Much appreciated. We follow the same star.
    http://www.johndayblog.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.