Trump, COVID and Your Mental Health

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Trump, COVID and Your Mental Health

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

David Hockney Nichols Canyon 1980     There are two things happening simultaneously in the world today that affect the lives of many million
    [See the full post at: Trump, COVID and Your Mental Health]

Matt Taibbi

Official 2020 Election Night Drinking Game Rules

The main rule is implied: just start drinking and don’t stop for the next few years.

As for tonight specifically, here goes:

Drink for EVERY MENTION of:

1) “Red mirage”;

2) “Blue mirage”;

3) “Path to victory” or “route to victory”;

4) “Most important election of our lifetime”;

5) “Still too close to call”;

6) “Shy Trump supporter”;

7) “Unprecedented”;

8) “Firewall.” Double if this is accompanied by an awkward effort by an anchor to inoffensively characterize the minority voting bloc to which they’re ascribing monolithic voting tendencies;

9) “Neck and neck”;

10) “Broward County” or “Miami-Dade”;

11) “It could be a big night for (whatever)”;

12) “It all comes down to Pennyslvania.”

And there’s much more.

thomasjkenney
    Participant

OK, I’ll finish the article post-haste, but I have to say this:

This is having a severe impact on our mental health, though nobody apparently wants to talk about that either.

I’ve wanted to talk about this aspect from the beginning. My wife, ditto. My boss, yes. My co-workers, yes. Friends, yes. Internet forum cancel culture Sardaukar, not so much.

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ Ilargi,

So I have been making my own stout the last few years and we had a tremendous laugh with The main rule is implied: just start drinking and don’t stop for the next few years.

With respect to the other day vodka played a part and I apologize.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Well, I’ve been railing for years that the US is suffering a collective mental health break-down…
    @ Michael Reid
    Lucky you, I love a good stout, but; alas, we here in SE Asia have none to be found outside of a few tourist traps. Pilsner is the brew of choice, yuck! Because of the heat is my guess; so they use a cold fermenting yeast, thus the plethora of Pilsners…
    Re: a few days past; there is a positive side to the destruction of one’s world view; it’s a reality check and a grounding in what’s actually happening.
    Mine came on November 22, 1963 a the age of 18…
    The world, and my view of it has changed many times over the ensuing decades; it still took nearly 40 years before I got out…
    Happy trails…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Paul Klee Limits of Reason (Grenzen des Verstandes ) 1927
    Debt Rattle Nov. 2
    Fascinating painting; I quite like it…a stairway to heaven?, or the limits of understanding?…

Enginer
    Participant

Forthright reporting is not appreciated as well as it should be. How I pine for John Cameron Swayze.

I’m sure Mr. Sayze had an agenda, but I do not remember noticing. Today, nearly every voice we hear declares FACTS that are disputed by all available evidence. This is most scary when the origins are our governments and medical authorities.

Lockdowns were not justified by the then-available data, except faulty models of expected deaths-performed with the same mathematics that has justified the Climate Hoax, but that’s another issue. As a Professional Engineer, my opinion is expressed below:

As I have notified many before, evidence is building that the primary mode of spreading of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is via airborne aerosols.

Each individual has the ability to combat virus attacks, based on a number of factors. For Covid-19 these include having adequate tissue zinc and Vitamin D3.

When the quantity of viral particles in an airspace and the individuals time in that space exceeds his/her Minimum Infective Dose, the virus may reproduce at a rate the immune system cannot overcome.

The solution to this is to increase ventilation, that is, bring in more fresh air to dilute the virus concentration. This is beginning to be seen clearly in the current virus outbreaks as the seasons change.

Particularly, in Europe, as people withdraw indoors, the pleasant weather tends to reduce the use of ventilation systems, either fans or A/C . Although a typical HVAC system has much too little fresh make-up air to be very efficient at diluting viruses in a pub or restaurant, it is fairly effective for small single-family flats or houses. Whole-house fans, popular in Europe, are very effective. Cooler fall weather means they will be turned off, and the airborne viral load will increase.
    Thigs are even worse in the Winter. Since diluting with fresh air quickly increases heating costs, too much attention is paid to preventing air infiltration, and the airborne virus concentration soars even higher. These factors account for flue and other virus episodes much more than humidity and temperature alone.

I must finish by mentioning a regression analysis experiment that regresses number of viral flu cases against humidity. As I have mentioned before, the fit was weak, around 50%. But when absolute air moisture, in grains H2O per cubic foot was used, R^2 jumped to over 80%. There are reasons for this, but ventilation is more important.

PLEASE do something to spread this information. It is critical.

Sincerely worried,
    George M. Hebbard PE
    Registered Florida Professional Chemical Engineer
    Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.