A World Run On Broken Models

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum A World Run On Broken Models

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Wyland Stanley Peerless touring car, Bay Area 1923 As I was writing The Broken Model Of The Eurozone yesterday, I already knew there would have to be
    [See the full post at: A World Run On Broken Models]

Gravity
    Participant

Gravity is an unbreakable algorithm.

Charles Alban
    Participant

this was just sent to me…it seems relevant to the present discussion.

HUMAN BEHAVIOR EXPERIMENT

If you start with a cage containing five monkeys, and inside the cage hang a banana on a string from the top, and then you place a set of stairs under the banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray ALL the monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with same result — ALL the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put the cold water away.

Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new monkey. The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs. To his shock, ALL of the other monkeys beat the Monkey Crap out of him.

After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new monkey.

The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment — with enthusiasm — because he is now part of the “team.”

Then, replace a third original monkey with a new monkey, followed by the fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Now, the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys will have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, not one of the monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.

Why, you ask? Because in their minds, that is the way it has always been!

This is why, from time to time:

ALL of the monkeys need to be

REPLACED AT THE SAME TIME!

P. C. DISCLAIMER: This is meant as no disrespect to monkeys.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Charles Alban

Brilliant.

Raleigh
    Participant

Charles – ditto what V. Arnold said. Thanks for posting that.

Ilargi – great writing!

John Day
    Participant

Sadly, as the Bolsheviks discovered, creating a new experiment in the monkey cage also involves suffering, group learning, mislearning, and “cultural transmission” of learned lessons.

sigh…

John Day
    Participant

Charles Hugh Smith looks at where the tail-risk-bubble is being hidden lately.
    Hey, it’s like the old “Asian Economic Crisis”, huh?

John Day
    Participant
    lessof
    Participant

I am continually surprised that when I turn the TV on (which is a whole lot less these days) That this country isn’t on fire. Especially, from the 35 and below crowd. They have been screwed on jobs, education, housing, soon the stock market, they fight in endless wars, and TPTB act if this is ok, like everything is going according to plan. They let the for profit educational system screw them over, They can’t afford a house because of inflated prices, rents high. They see sociopathic clowns posing as leaders who don’t have a clue on how to address ANY of the problems they have in their lives. I’m just waiting on the storyline on who the scapegoats are gonna be, welfare mothers, well, we didn’t give welfare mothers trillions of dollars in order to bail them out. immigrants, I see you can’t make any money off them now and because of the trade deals their countries are pretty much failed states, hell their economies/societies are in worse shape than ours is (but we’re catching up), but that’s holding us back. Minorities or the poor, I know they just came in the banks and forced you to give them a loan on a $300,000 house with no money down, and no income verification. and on top of that, they forced you to sell that crap to someone’s pension fund. Gays, women, unions, government workers? Does ANYBODY believe that any of the people who got elected to office here recently have ANY INSIGHT AT ALL!!! on how to address our current problems? Any problem ? (accumulating money to run to office doesn’t count). What is happening to this world, we have all these “educated” people and we are all riding the short bus.

tk
    Participant

RE Charles Alban

This experient might be somewhat related to “The trouble with testosterone” of Robert Sapolsky (Stanford University)(well worth reading):

https://testosteronetrouble.blogspot.de/

and George Carlin has also a view point to this:

Humans are finished as it seems!

Raleigh
    Participant

tk – “The Trouble with Testosterone” was an excellent read. So testosterone can make aggression stronger, but aggression must already be present.

And George Karlin suggests that aggression is a learned behavior, passed on from father to son.

My theory is that most things are learned from your upbringing, your environment. If a boy bonds with his father (and that father happens to be an idiot), then that boy will pattern his behavior on what he’s seen, what his father believes in, what he values. He will act aggressively because that’s what he’s observed.

On the other hand, if the boy is frustrated, if he didn’t bond, if he is not valued, he will be angry. This underlying anger will also make him act aggressively – crazy aggressive, IMO.

One acts aggressively because that’s what he’s been taught, the other because he has underlying anger.

We’re not doing a very good job at raising our children. You have to get a licence and some education to be able to drive a car, and yet nothing is required to have a child.

Thank you for the great post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.