Debt Rattle August 16 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 16 2021

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    madamski cafone
    Participant

“In sociology, anomie (/ˈænəˌmi/) is a social condition defined by an uprooting or breakdown of any moral values, standards or guidance for individuals to follow.[1][2] Anomie may evolve from conflict of belief systems[3] and causes breakdown of social bonds between an individual and the community (both economic and primary socialization).[4] E.g. alienation in a person that can progress into a dysfunctional inability to integrate within normative situations of their social world like to find a job, find success in relationships, etc.

“The term, commonly understood to mean normlessness, is believed to have been popularized by French sociologist Émile Durkheim in his influential book Suicide (1897). However, Durkheim first introduced the concept of anomie in his 1893 work The Division of Labour in Society. Durkheim never used the term normlessness;[5] rather, he described anomie as “derangement,” and “an insatiable will.”[6][need quotation to verify] Durkheim used the term “the malady of the infinite” because desire without limit can never be fulfilled; it only becomes more intense.[7]

“For Durkheim, anomie arises more generally from a mismatch between personal or group standards and wider social standards; or from the lack of a social ethic, which produces moral deregulation and an absence of legitimate aspirations. This is a nurtured condition:

“Most sociologists associate the term with Durkheim, who used the concept to speak of the ways in which an individual’s actions are matched, or integrated, with a system of social norms and practices…anomie is a mismatch, not simply the absence of norms. Thus, a society with too much rigidity and little individual discretion could also produce a kind of anomie…[8]”

Volition

those darned kids
    Participant
    those darned kids
    Participant

thank you.

absolute galore
    Participant

Quantitative Easing was introduced to buy time to fix structural problems in the economy. But it became the solution to every economic hiccup.

Quite so. However, the big reveal on that twitter mini-interview? Werner points to “East Asian” countries with highly sustainable, equitable high growth economies. He must be joking, but he sure looks and sound like a serious chap. How he states this with a straight face I do not know.

I do agree with his last statement, that the IMF and the World Bank are a continuation of colonialism, extracting the resources for ourselves as cheaply as possible while sending “developing” countries into a debt death spiral. But everybody knows that.

Archie
    Participant

((())), ((())) You did it TDL!!

ctbarnum
    Participant

@upstateNYer

“If the feds keep up their current BS, that will likely be the result. It would probably take years to finalize? Although who knows at this point..”

One would think so, but politically everything is chaos right now, even down to the state and local levels. Mayors and counties want to have their little fiefdoms to rule, so there’s no balance of powers at any level. Sort of along the lines of JMG’s chart reading before Biden’s selection. As an example, we have mayors in Florida going completely #AntiLogos with mask mandates in defiance of Desantis’ order for parents to decide from their own risk analysis with the word “dictator”, which prompted this reply:

“”Since when do dictators prioritize individual rights over the unchecked expansion of government power?” said DeSantis press secretary Christina Pushaw, who pointed to reports that Washington, D.C., mayor Muriel Bowser had not abided by her own mask mandate. “That is truly dictatorial behavior. Rules for thee, but not for me.”

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/16/florida-mayors-upset-at-dictator-ron-desantis-say-he-wont-take-their-calls-during-pandemic_partner/

I feel as if part of this tussle is there are significant factions of both parties that wish to see the nation state done away with entirely and corporations to rule because, well, WalMart prices means they know everything. Ummm…..no. Completely fascist #Antilogos mindset in charge within governing structures, so there’s more chaos to come until theirs some agreement on the framework of state level cooperation. Could be a few years as you noted, but a hard few years.

ctbarnum
    Participant

*theirs” should be “there’s” some agreement….

Oroboros
    Participant

The people of France spray liquid horseshit on the French president’s house.

Oroboros
    Participant
    WES
    Participant

Oroboros:

Your picture reminds me of how I discovered electricity before I could walk!

I stuck a hair pin into one of the outlet’s slotted holes!

Mom said one moment I was quietly sitting near one wall. Then seconds later I was sitting against the far wall as white as a ghost!

She then spotted the hair pin in the outlet!

That however didn’t stop me from taking electrical!h

madamski cafone
    Participant

“The people of France spray liquid horseshit on the French president’s house.”

You just made my day, Oroborus.

Huskynut
    Participant

Farce alert – NZ is huddled over their TVs right now in anticipation of the announcement of a Level 4 lockdown across the North Island (ie including Wellington and Auckland) because of…. drumroll… one case of Covid in Auckland.

But, but……. Delta!!! OMG….!!!!

Huskynut
    Participant

Aaaannnd…. BOOM…

We’re going “hard and early” (wait, won’t that be unsatisfying for our consensual partner…” perhaps it’s not consensual, so we don;t really give a shift about their satisfaction…)

Level 4 lockdown from midnight tonight, for 3 days, while the officials figure out a good tale to spin us…

At least i’m employed and can WFH this lockdown..

But the kids… messing with the minds again,,,

Huskynut
    Participant

The queues at the local community shops here are insane.. I suspect by 11:59pm tonight when lockdown starts the shelves will look like those of a South African mall riot (ie the bookstores will still be fully stocked..)

Based on some of the txts I’m seeing, I also wonder whether our goofy-toothed gonzo hasn’t just stepped off a precipice, and that gravity will soon assert itself

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.