January 23, 2021 at 2:32 am #68738Doc RobinsonParticipant
Some reasons why vaccine passports are a bad idea:
1. “…doctors say it is possible vaccinated travelers could still potentially harbor the virus and sicken unvaccinated people… The vaccines in the U.S. right now have not proven that they decrease transmission, so the patient may still get mild or asymptomatic versions of the disease and they may then be able to transmit it”
2. “We also don’t know how long [vaccine] immunity lasts, so a vaccine or immunity passport could possibly give you a false perception of security from the virus that you might not have after a number of months.”
3. “…the World Health Organization recently said that it opposes vaccine requirements for travel because of equity issues in the current state of the global vaccine rollout… .Doctors have warned that one in four nations will not see any coronavirus vaccinations this year.”
The organization’s doctors are warning that a vaccine will not be a cure-all for travelers before there is global herd immunity — which will take years. WHO Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network chairman Dale Fisher said this month that global herd immunity will not occur by the end of 2021.
Requiring vaccines for travel is not a new concept: Many nations have long required inoculations against various types of illnesses, from yellow fever to polio, for entry. But because we know very little about the novel coronavirus and its current vaccines compared to illnesses that have come before, doctors say it is possible vaccinated travelers could still potentially harbor the virus and sicken unvaccinated people.
“The vaccines in the U.S. right now have not proven that they decrease transmission, so the patient may still get mild or asymptomatic versions of the disease and they may then be able to transmit it,” says Carlos Acuna-Villaorduna, an infectious-diseases physician at Boston Medical Center. “We also don’t know how long [vaccine] immunity lasts, so a vaccine or immunity passport could possibly give you a false perception of security from the virus that you might not have after a number of months.”
…Doctors have warned that one in four nations will not see any coronavirus vaccinations this year.
The argument against vaccine passports is growing
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/01/22/passport-vaccine-covid-flights-international/January 23, 2021 at 2:46 am #68739Doc RobinsonParticipant
More reasons why vaccine passports are a bad idea:
4. Since the vaccines are not 100% effective, a significant number of vaccinated people could still become infected and spread the virus to others.
5. Existing vaccines could be ineffective against new strains of the Covid virus.January 23, 2021 at 4:29 am #68740VietnamVetParticipant
Since vaccines are all the neoliberal West has, they went the vaccination route with no clear knowledge of their safety and efficacy. There should have been extensive reporting required for their emergency use but that is asking too much of a government that has problems just distributing them. The 90% figure touted for the mRNA vaccines is the reduction in the severity of the disease compared to those who became ill in the unvaccinated group, a fairly small number since testing was done at the start of the pandemic.
The Israeli report would indicate the Pfizer mRNA vaccine does reduce the infection rate by 33%.
This is a better than none. The vaccine and face masks will lower the RO value. The question is how low. Another of my gut feelings is that since around 50% of the infected shed the virus with no symptoms to get the RO under 1 and eradicate the virus will require public health measures; daily testing, isolation, and school and work bubbles. Vaccines alone will not be enough.
But to avoid taxing corporations and the wealthy, there will be no healthcare for all or a working national public health system in the USA. For the foreseeable future, the Americas will have an endemic illness and a steady death rate of thousands per day of Deplorables (who clearly do not matter since they are led by Vladimir Putin and are racist). The military has already been called in once to save current US political system. Further unrest is assured.January 23, 2021 at 6:12 am #68741V. ArnoldParticipant
Living in a country with a functional, well run, healthcare system, has given me a new pov on just how rotten the U.S. system really is (what there is of it); failing at every juncture…
As one who follows their own council; education (being informed), diet, lifestyle, and a balance in most things, has afforded me a life largely free of health issues…
As your closing paragraph so aptly points out; we have crossed the Rubicon…
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.