Debt Rattle March 29 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 29 2020

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Dorothea Lange Kern County, California 1938   • Trump Backs Off Threat Of Coronavirus Quarantine For NYC Area (NYP) • Florida Coronavirus Cases A
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 29 2020]

oxymoron
    Participant

Not one but two just incredible douchbags. Branson and Biden. Lowly, creepy, conniving. The Vampire Squid love suckbags like these two. It shows the adage of never look at what one says but what one does. They do bad shit and talk like snake charmers.

anticlimactic
    Participant

Re Gold – Money is only worth what people are prepared to give you for it!

V. Arnold
    Participant

They do bad shit and talk like snake charmers.

Ah, you have such a way with words… 😉

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Remember those mysterious drone formations 2&1/2 months ago?

Plain State Drones

Possible correlations with the current move toward lockdown? But this is America. It could’ve just been some first-stage market buzz generation for Drone Wars: The Game Continues, an example of (to quote old man Gibson) the internet “everting”. In this case, in the form of gamers using their gaming interfaces to control real drones in real time.

Sounds crazy, but so is millions of people spending hours a day pushing buttons to move virtual actors through intergalactic battle fleets.

Or just preparing for a massive pizza drop in battle-hardened NYC and similar places:

Wings Across America

“Last year UPS beat Amazon and Alphabet to being the first company to get approval to use drones for parcel deliveries from the US Federal Aviation Authority.”

And remember:

Fonebone Likes to Watch

zerosum
    Participant

Appearance – pretended behavior to make an impression
    in contrast to
    capabilities – ability to perform

sumac.carol
    Participant

I am really getting to a point where this covid-19 is looking like a majorly over-hyped event for most people. Here’s why:

Our health care systems were on life support before this happened in Canada, a relatively rich country. We had regular warnings of hospitals operating at levels in excess of capacity. Personal experience of seeing a family member through the ER experience for a serious event confirmed this for me (family member was with four other patients in an office that had been converted to a room for patients). My partner worked in a chronic care hospital up to 5 years ago and every friday there was a big musical beds exercise to make room for the weekend emergency patients that would overflow from the acute care institutions into the chronic care. The demographic bubble of boomers overwhelming the health care system has been recognised for a very long time – it is not news.

Another note on the health front: we are on the precipice of melt-down in health care due to antibiotic resistance, which currently kills many people. Once this comes full force, you can forget all of your fancy medical interventions because without effective antibiotics many procedures will be impossible (think surgeries). Big pharma is not interested – no money here, much more money in stuff llike statins — stuff people take every day for decades rather than something like antibiotics that you take for 10 days. A huge user of antibiotics is conventionally raised meat. I don’t hear any leaders either in the medical field or our political leadership calling for a stop to this type of animal husbandry and planning to transition to a raising animals in a way that does not involve these levels of antibiotics. The excuse given is that we can’t afford it. Okay then, just get ready for the day when you need antibiotics and they don’t work — that’s part of the cost of this decision.

We are experiencing a once in 100 year event – what organization plans the capacity for this? None, and it makes sense that they would not. Nature will take its course and the system will be pushed past its limit.

Poverty kills millions of people every single year – not just once in 100 years. There is not hue and cry to try to stop this, ensure more equality. On the contrary, there is foot-dragging and continued policies of impoverishing nations and undesirables within nations. First Nations people in Canada have been sickened by contaminated drinking water on reserves for decades, and the government is still “working on it”.

Climate change and eco-cide (which will likely bring us to our demise if humans survive covid-19) will kill gazillions of people. Crickets on this issue from our political leadership and citizens don’t want to make the necessary changes in their behavior because it is too inconvenient. Funny anecdote: the political leaders of my small community refused to declare a climate emergency because they didn’t want to scare the kids. Funny how now they aren’t concerned about scaring the kids re covid-19.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

There is a psych phenomenon, the name of which I forget, describing how groups of people (specifically but not limited to committee-style groupings) are faced with a large problem and find they can’t come to an effective consensus for action regarding the major problem (usually the case), they opt for a minor action just for the satisfaction of agreeing upon SOMETHING. The anecdote I read to describe is that when someone was raped in an old college campus garden shed, the committee deliberation resulted in having the garden shed painted.

Of course our leaders are ineffective at dealing with this or any other significant emergency. Expecting this is like a dog expecting its fleas to solve its mange problem.

zerosum
    Participant

@ sumac.carol
    That’s why I wrote the following yesterday.

The only number that is important for me is not shown.
    It is the number that applies to my changing conditions.
    The number of those without the virus.
    The # of death for my age group.
    If I end up in a long term care home then it will be the # of death for those seniors.
    If I get sick and in a hospital then that will be the number of death for the sick in a hospital.

The only number that my “leaders” care about is the one that keeps me as an essential, willing, pacified, servant that doesn’t rock the boat because my “leaders” can’t swing with their burden of wealth around their neck.

sumac.carol
    Participant

Yup absolutely Zerosum – well and beautifully said.

Good point Bosco – our leaders need to look like they are doing something.. Wrecking ball comes to mind.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

“And in case you doubted this, the cost of an American Eagle one ounce coin at the US Mint is now $2,175…”

The author’s credibility just went down. That coin sold by the US Mint is a proof coin sold at a premium price. New bullion coins (not proof) can be found for around $1,800 per ounce (with a spot price of $1,658).

How to Buy United States Mint Bullion Coins
    The United States Mint, like other world mints, does not sell its bullion coins directly to the public. Instead, we distribute our coins through a network of official distributors called “authorized purchasers” who, in turn, create a two-way market buying and selling to precious metals wholesalers, private investors, and local bullion coin dealers.

This method provides effective and efficient distribution, which maximizes the availability of a two-way market of United States Mint Bullion Coins in retail markets and major investment markets.

United States Mint bullion coins are sold based on the prevailing market price of gold, silver, platinum, or palladium plus a small premium to cover minting, distribution, and marketing costs.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/precious-metal-coins/bullion-coins.html

Doc,

There’s more where that came from:

Unobtanium

Doc Robinson
    Participant

That’s more exaggeration from “Tyler”.

I glanced at the APMEX site today, and many gold coins are still in stock, such as Krugerrands for $1,802.99 or the Austrian Philharmonic for $1,777.99

That’s less than 10% over the spot price.

https://www.apmex.com/product/13/austria-1-oz-gold-philharmonic-bu-random-year

boscohorowitz
    Participant

American Eagle price history

credible

I’d say the author of the gold price piece is quite credible, looking at the hiostory of American Eagle prices in the article linked and the image (hopefully) shown

WES
    Participant

Sumac.carol:

Regarding Drinking water on Indian reservations. This is is just part of Indian politics!

This problem has been around forever and will be in the future too. Sadly it has a lot to do with corruption on the Indian reservations.

Do you remember the Harper government trying to bring transparency to tribal government finances? By requiring Indian governments to publically disclose annually how tribal money was spent?

Do you remember how all of a sudden Indian chiefs were declaring drinking water emergencies all across Canada? This was merely the Indian chiefs way of hitting back at Harper!

Then Trudeau was elected. The first thing Trudeau did was to eliminate any requirements for Indian chiefs to publically disclose how tribal money was spent. Notice how we suddenly no longer hear about Indian drinking water problems anymore!

It was always about the power of Indian chiefs to spend their tribal money from the federal government as they saw fit! Try and take that power away and the chiefs will beat you over the head with drinking water!

As for maintenance of water systems, well a new pickup is more appealing.

I have a wee bit of experience with natives here in Canada and the US. In particular Naskapis, Montagnais, & Navajo. I have also run into a few others like Mohawk, Hopi, Crow, etc.

WES
    Participant

Doc Robinson:.

Yes, Tyler likes to exaggerate! Click bait!

Gold and especially gold mining stocks are in a world of hurt at the moment!

Someday paper gold prices will stop setting the price of physical gold but that day isn’t now.

₿oogaloo
    Participant

I also agree with Doc Robinson.

In my mind the author lost all credibility by citing the premium for a niche retail product as if that was representative of the entire market. I just returned from lunch. I checked with the jeweler downstairs and as of today it is possible to buy a 37.5g bar of 99.9 gold for $20 below spot (the popular weights in Korea are 3.75g or 37.5g).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.