Debt Rattle May 22 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 22 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Pablo Picasso Femme au Béret et à la Robe Quadrillée (Marie-Thérèse Walter) 1937   • ‘Who Are You?’ Iran Hits Back At US Demands (AlJ) • Trumpism
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 22 2018]

sumac.carol
    Participant

Happy to report the snakes and frogs abound in our perma orchard. Also I discovered that a threatened species is now nesting in one of our bird house boxes. Lots of wild bees are doing the pollination work-we opted against honey bees because of their negative impact on wild bees through competition for food.

V. Arnold
    Participant

sumac.carol
    Where are you?
    We’re in Thailand with a large yard; many fruit trees and flowers.
    Wild Asian honey bees are well (and very friendly), as are snakes (including cobras), frogs, toads, and two varieties of mosquitos (tiger, daytime) and another (I don’t know the variety) in the night time.
    We grow with no chemicals or insecticides.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Who are you?
    Rouhani said. “Who are you to decide for Iran and the world?”
    To me at least, it’s clear Iran will never “bend the knee” to the U.S., and, why should it?
    I think it’s clear in the last couple of days, the U.S. is done telling the world what they need to do; and high time, IMO.
    Ding dong, the witch is dead…
    😉

regionswork
    Participant

Neo-x useful in the arts and tasty as ice cream. Considering that “The Art of the Deal” was ghost written and applied to real estate, no one should be surprised that it doesn’t really work in the real world. Alpha males do get away with a lot. Considering that translators are handicapped in conveying the true communication style of Mr. Trump, he does get a pass for this reason. Disruptive in not necessarily cunning. Big bets were placed on a few true statements. Will good money follow, or will there be movement to cut losses?

Dr. D
    Participant

The U.S. is not going to pay its debts. It was never going to pay its debts. It has never paid its debts, and no other country has ever paid its debts. –Adam Smith, 1775, and incidentally, Martin Armstrong, 2018.

“The U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. By increasing the number of U.S. dollars in circulation, or even by credibly threatening to do so, the U.S. government can also reduce the value of a dollar in terms of goods and services, which is equivalent to raising the prices in dollars of those goods and services. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation.” –Ben Bernanke, 2002

And why would they do that? UBI. Which is how Germany finally turned their printing to hyperinflation.

So never, never fear about the debt. Don’t bother with charts about the debt. Don’t read articles about charts about the debt, or how much citizens owe on the debt. They’re not going to pay it. Mathematically, they can never pay them, it is impossible.

“You know Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don’t matter.” –Dick Cheney

That’s ’cause they made the decision to never pay them around 1979 and let Reagan go over the horizon of the point of no return.

seychelles
    Participant

“[..] The transformation of the planet by human activity has led scientists to the brink of declaring a new geological era – the Anthropocene. One suggested marker for this change are the bones of the domestic chicken, now ubiquitous across the globe.”

Plasticene….stratum of non-biologically useful sequestered carbon… seems more apt.

Chris M
    Participant

Seychelles,

It’s funny you mention the plasticene. Whenever we find a broken plastic part or a bottle in one of our farm fields, we remove it and joke that plastic doesn’t make good fertilizer.

TheFatman
    Participant

“It also tells Swedes they have a duty to act if their country is threatened.”

This is too funny. What are the Swedes going to do? Grab their kitchen knives and garden shovels? I bet if Russia or anyone invades the Swedes will collapse, it will be at that point, that they realize why the USA has the 2nd Amendment, at least for now.

TheFatman
    Participant

Dr. D.

In 1933, we still had some representation in Congress, but these days, I do not believe any politician after their 2nd term anyways, is still honest and beholding to the people that elected them. With our political representatives bought and paid for, they will do what they are told, the MSM will tell us it is for our own good and it will just happen. The debt will be paid for in US land. We will get pennies on the dollar for our land, and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

anticlimactic
    Participant

US

If a country cold be portrayed as a person then the US is best thought of as a spoiled 6 year old brat who has tantrums if it doesn’t get what it wants. This idiot child never forgives or forgets if it loses and will go to any length to destroy its opponent.

This little psychopath has no concept of how its’ friends could disagree, but is willing to cause them pain if they do.

For Europe it started with the sanctions against Russia. Actually they were also sanctions against Europe as US companies were little affected. Europe is a competitor so harming its’ economy is a benefit. The sanctions regarding Nordstream2 are more obviously anti-European. Now it is Iran which again affects Europe far more than the US. I am sure that soon it will be China that Europe is not allowed to trade with.

While it can be argued that trade with the US is more important than these countries individually, as a whole they will weaken Europe considerably. Over time Europe will become so weak it will be beyond saving.

What can Europe do if the US imposes penalties, etc.

– Withdraw all military forces from the Syrian conflict, or even aid Assad to stabilise Syria and enable the repatriation of the refugees
    – Import tariffs on US LPG.
    – Cancel all orders of F35s – The Eurofighter is a capable plane and there are still a few aircraft companies left in Europe which could develop new aircraft.
    – Leave NATO and form a European organisation. Militarily Europe is ridiculously weak compared to the size of the economy.
    – Request the US to withdraw all military forces from Europe. It seems the US is preparing to go to war with Russia and it also seems obvious that in this event Europe is expendable.

I still wonder if Trump is being very clever. He wants to create US jobs and by the use of sanctions and trade wars this will happen by necessity! All with the backing of the Deep State and Neocons!

sumac.carol
    Participant

Hi V Arnold
    We are in Canada (eastern Ontario). Sounds like you have lots of wildlife also. We too use no synthetic chemicals and rely to some extent on permaculture principles. Michael Philips is the guy we follow for how we look after our trees and shrubs. This year is looking quite good so far although our biggest challenge will bw getting to the fruits before the 4 legged fellows do. This project is without doubt the most satisfying thing I have done in my life-very hard work in all types of weather but there is nothing I would rather do.

V. Arnold
    Participant

sumac.carol
    Thanks for the reply.
    Our only competition comes from birds and squirrels.
    Nothing too serious, we share. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.